Open drink policy

Saps

Hello!

I'm a first time cruiser and first time poster on these boards.

I know technically this should go in the "first time cruisers" forum but this is kinda Australian specific.

On cruises leaving Australia (RCI South Pacific from Syndey Jan 25th to be precise) what is the policy in regards to drinking. Say I buy a drink (alcoholic) somewhere on the ship do I have to drink it in the area I bought it or can I walk around the ship or back to my cabin with my drink in hand?

I also read that people sometime take food from the buffet and bring it back to their room (crackers and such to nibble on later) is this allowed on Australian cruise ships?

The reason I ask is I believe I saw it mentioned in passing and just want to make sure to avoid in faux pas once on board.

Any advice in regards to the above would be much appreciated :)

Hello!

I know technically this should go in the "first time cruisers" forum but this is kinda Australian specific.

On cruises leaving Australia (RCI South Pacific from Syndey Jan 25th to be precise) what is the policy in regards to drinking. Say I buy a drink (alcoholic) somewhere on the ship do I have to drink it in the area I bought it or can I walk around the ship or back to my cabin with my drink in hand?

I also read that people sometime take food from the buffet and bring it back to their room (crackers and such to nibble on later) is this allowed on Australian cruise ships?

The reason I ask is I believe I saw it mentioned in passing and just want to make sure to avoid in faux pas once on board.

You can take it anywhere you want. Both food and drink.

Drink

I see one big fat bloke walking around with a drink in hand every time I pass a mirror.

Mrs Gut will often visit the Buffet and grab me a feed if I'm not well.

I will second Gut.....yes and also yes to seeing many uncouth not walking around with drinks;)

We often take a drink back to our cabin, grab some food for afternoon snack while watching a movie in the cabin, take a drink to a movie in the theatre, grab a plate of cheese n bikkies and take on deck while watching the sunset.

What about all those that pour a wine in their room and carry it to dinner so they dont have to pay corkage:rolleyes: seen lots of that

Edited by cheznandy

Hello!

Welcome to Cruise critic, what you plan is fine on any of the ships. As for if it is uncouth or not, I cannot answer. enjoy your cruise.:D

What about all those that pour a wine in their room and carry it to dinner so they dont have to pay corkage:rolleyes: seen lots of that

Yes, well we have never done that, as it is always consumed in the afternoon on the balcony so there is nothing left for dinner.;)

Yes, well we have never done that, as it is always consumed in the afternoon on the balcony so there is nothing left for dinner.;)

A couple on our last 15 night cruise came to dinner everynight with a glass of red each filled to the brim:eek: always 10 minutes late......Andy and I decided they must have had a bottomless bottle of red in their cabin......never once bought a drink at dinner, that red lasted the whole meal;) and they were the ones standing at the door as the drinks came out for the Captains Circle party haha

My daughter is unable to walk so I often take her meals to her from the buffet to her room. As far as drinks go you might find that not all bars may stock your favorite so you might have to grab from a different place and take it with you. We too are the ones that always front up for dinner with a full drink, so then no complaints about having to wait for a drink while reading the menu (well that's our excuse)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A couple on our last 15 night cruise came to dinner everynight with a glass of red each filled to the brim:eek: always 10 minutes late......Andy and I decided they must have had a bottomless bottle of red in their cabin......never once bought a drink at dinner, that red lasted the whole meal;) and they were the ones standing at the door as the drinks came out for the Captains Circle party haha

LOl, saves paying corkage or buying a drink I suppose.:rolleyes:

Speaking as one who has a standing stock of at least 10 cases of wine in my "Cellar", read spare room on the shady side of the house, I have no objection to paying the onboard wine prices as opposed to taking my own wine and paying the corkage. It's either pay the price or pay a higher cruise price, you can't have it both ways.

Hello!

Hi and welcome to cruise critic, I'm sure you'll find it useful for lots of info. Looking at the previous threads I've realised my husband and I are completely uncouth. We take wine on board with us and always fill up a glass to take to dinner, or to tide us over between bars. If there's a movie on outside (we only sail Princess) then we'll position ourselves near the buffet so that we can keep popping in to get snacks while we're watching the movie.

Our kids are teenagers, so we always pay a second visit to the buffet to stock up on breakfast items for them cause there's no way they're getting up before brekkie stops being served at 11.30am! We're the two idiots you see if the lifts with OJ, croissants with peanut butter, and pastries.

I also like to choose my own fruit to have in our cabin, so we'll go up to the buffet and stock up with whatever looks nice that day (big tip if they bring out stawberries grab them cause they don't last long)!

Basically anything goes!

Have fun and enjoy your first cruise!

Trish