Obstructed (2D) cabin - Reflection

JRos

When assigned a guarantee you are able to move to another available cabin within the same category assigned. I find the celebrity uk site shows all rooms available. If you booked directly with Celebrity you may call them and make the switch or call your travel agent you used.

Marie

We booked a GTY verandah and have been assigned 6183. Will we be looking directly at a lifeboat?

I'm really disappointed :,-(

No you wont, the life boats block the view on deck 5. Everyone has to 'gaze' over them, except a few cabins on the hump.

1536541284_balconyX.jpg.c7ed9c96f8da3dd0b04e8db6204b8833.jpg

1290589249_HUMPEQU.jpg.10c33efc30a72ff77dc158e15d76bc75.jpg

1481405621_MIDSHIP.jpg.fbd9c710c3deb526d2073f0c1766beaa.jpg

When assigned a guarantee you are able to move to another available cabin within the same category assigned. I find the celebrity uk site shows all rooms available. If you booked directly with Celebrity you may call them and make the switch or call your travel agent you used.

Marie

Thanks! I'm trying.. Agency looking into a swap with another cabin on that floor.

We had cabin 6210 on the Silhouette 2D. It was a huge balcony and yes, the life boats are there, but you can still see out. You just can't look directly down to the water. Whatever cabin you get, you will really enjoy the cruise.

We booked our first GTY veranda through a highly recommended TA, also a first we usually book directly though Celebrity. Now we are going into, this thinking we will get a partially obstructed viewed cabin. A noisy bad located cabin. But thats ok. Maybe we will get lucky..who knows..how soon before cruise do you know your room number? You say you can swap to a better room in the same category? But hard to swap when you dont have a room number. Its not until Oct 2017... Should I wait till I get closer or call TA. Some people say you wont know number maybe until day of boarding? True?

Thanks for the help!

We booked our first GTY veranda through a highly recommended TA, also a first we usually book directly though Celebrity. Now we are going into, this thinking we will get a partially obstructed viewed cabin. A noisy bad located cabin. But thats ok. Maybe we will get lucky..who knows..how soon before cruise do you know your room number? You say you can swap to a better room in the same category? But hard to swap when you dont have a room number. Its not until Oct 2017... Should I wait till I get closer or call TA. Some people say you wont know number maybe until day of boarding? True?

Thanks for the help!

Keep an eye on your Celebrity Account. Log in, go to Reservations, and go to Manage Reservation. It can be assigned at any time. There have been times when my guarantee was assigned within days of booking the cruise. As soon as you are assigned, see what else is available in SAME category. The Celebrity UK site shows more rooms available than the US site. I think it is rate that your cabin is assigned the day of boarding. I hope this helps.

Marie

Celebrity refused to change our cabin. We did have a GTY but I was hoping they would be nice and give us a cabin that isn't 50+% obstructed, but it is purely our fault. They have many cabins still available, as the ship isn't full.

I was told we could change cabins if we paid $370/person. :eek:

I'll call them back a week or two prior to our cruise and hopefully we can get a different cabin or upgrade to another floor for a much more reasonable fee.

Not a great first impression of this line but I can't blame them for my stupidity in booking a GTY. Lesson learned.

Edited by JRos

Celebrity refused to change our cabin. We did have a GTY but I was hoping they would be nice and give us a cabin that isn't 50+% obstructed, but it is purely our fault. They have many cabins still available, as the ship isn't full.

I was told we could change cabins if we paid $370/person. :eek:

I'll call them back a week or two prior to our cruise and hopefully we can get a different cabin or upgrade to another floor for a much more reasonable fee.

Not a great first impression of this line but I can't blame them for my stupidity in booking a GTY. Lesson learned.

Please don't spend the build up to your cruise stressing about this, we are retired so do cruise quite a bit, we have balcony cabins , outside and even insides if the price is right, we often have guarantee cabins we have never had one that we were disappointed with.

The obstruction is not directly in front of you, it is only when you look down, you probably wouldn't even think about if it wasn't described as 50% obstructed. We did cruise once on Azamara and paid a bit extra for an outside cabin only to find our cabin was completely obstructed by a lifeboat right in front of our window we could just about see daylight around the edges[emoji3] We still had a great cruise.

I hope you gave a great time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The 2 pictures are some examples of obstructed views on deck 6 on sister ships (just google your cabin number and ship) and the video is from the reflection. It should give you an idea even if it isn't the exact room.

video of reflection obstructed cabin

IMG_1474101610.234197.jpg.a4ed637867b16dfda1664911d8b185ff.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

IMG_1474101600.597292.jpg.a83dfbe031a45a84036dbbc9132af477.jpg

I am surprised that your TA would not have informed you that you need to be prepared to get an 'undesirable' balcony cabin on the ship.

For the first time in 20 years, I booked a guarantee on my upcoming cruise. I was obviously hoping for something midship (I have mobility issues), without obstruction, but giving it a lot of thought, I was prepared to either change cabins within the same class, if available, or if not possible, then pay to upgrade to the cabin I wanted/needed. I'm also from Canada, so the price difference between a guarantee balcony and a set cabin was substantial in CDN dollars.

I got a 2C, partially obstructed, at the forward end of the ship. I was able to switch to another 2C, at midship.

Balcony guarantees can be a great way to save $$, but the bottom line is you have to know yourself and that you would be happy with the worst case scenario. In the meantime, if you haven't already done so, check out the cabin spreadsheet for a description of the view from the exact ship and cabin number you have been assigned. Also check youtube - someone may have posted a video of your exact cabin. I found mine on youtube, and it was very helpful in allaying any fears I had about the so-called obstruction.

Don't worry too much. I don't think you will be disappointed.

We book a 2C out of choice, the obstruction is a little better than a 2D and we certainly have never been upset with our balcony.

You are midship, always a good position and other than being unable to look down at the water, you will still have a wonderful view.

Go and enjoy!! :)

I actually knew that I could end up with the worst cabin because it was a GTY. Not going to lie, in other cruise lines, when we have booked GTY, and the ship isn't full, we have been given nice cabins and were once even upgraded. I guess Celebrity didn't give us such luck. I think that this cabin is obscured on both sides by the tender boats (or whatever the long boats are that have those roof enclosures on them).

I have paid in full so I'm now just watching the prices to see if it drops the closer to sail and I will upgrade. I feel like $370/pp is a high fee for an upgrade at this point.

Lesson learned on my end.

Try calling again. Sometimes what one agent will not do, another one will.

Exactly. On our last cruise my agent ended up calling quite a few times until she could get our request taken care of. I knew it should cost us around $150 and she got prices from $300 to $800 for the request we actually ending up getting for $130. Frustrating.

Carol

We spent 35 days in 6206 on the Solstice and frankly the obstruction was a non issue. We had a tender outside our balcony which came up to the level of the railing. There is a video on you tube about cabin 6204 so you can see what the obstruction look like. Bit of a whoha about nothing