Has anyone every gotten an age waiver for an excursion?

I tried booking the Rios Kayaking excursion yesterday for my family and there is a child price, but minimum age is 12. My daughter is 11 so it won't let me book it. She is 5' 1" and has kayaked for 3 summers (double and alone). If they would allow her, I feel 100% confident she is experienced enough and can keep up with teens and adults. The excursion is in calm water.

I called RC yesterday and they had me email the excursion department. I am just curious if anyone has ever had any luck in getting a waiver for the minimum age, or should I just have her pick out something else since the 20% off sale ends this evening. Thanks.

Here is the description: Get ready for a paddling adventure unlike any other, as you explore Jamaica’s stunning Rois Lagoon via kayak only 10 minutes away from the pier. After a quick safety briefing and orientation you’ll hop in kayaks alongside a friendly and highly skilled guide and then spend 1.5 hours on the calm waters off the island’s coast. As you glide past mangrove wetlands you’ll hear the natural history of the area, which is home to abundant wildlife and a natural bird sanctuary. Keep your eye out for numerous species of aquatic birds, swimming schools of fish, crabs and flying fish. Then you will be taken to a beach known for its silky white sand, clear turquoise waters and rustic club house amenities.

I believe I read some time ago that one may not have these same restrictions if they go directly to the vendor. Plus, it's usually cheaper than taking a ship's excursion. That may be an idea (assuming I'm correct!)

Perhaps have her pick something else (if nobody confirms differently), but then look into private excursions and their prices. Can always cancel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If there is an age restriction I would not count on an exception being made regardless of you being willing to sign off. It works the same way with excursions that you must be under a certain age. It's usually an insurance and liability issue.

I would book something else.

I have heard several times from people (who always seem the have the facts) that minimum ages are determined by either risk management or the insurance company--most likely both as they work hand in hand and self-insure for the first $XXX,XXX. (I have no idea what the number is, just that it exists.).

If that is indeed the case, they won't make exceptions. I'd suggest either booking it directly with a tour company, or choosing a different excursion.

Good luck!

Don't book anything from the cruiseline.

Search and find someone else, it will be less expensive.

I always wait until I get there and decide, usually because of the weather.

If you wait until you arrive, you will have plenty to pick from.......

I found an email for the tour company, they already replied and will give permission to RCCL to book her.

I would like to book through RCCL since it is significant price difference with the sale. First I thought it was the same, but turns out there are 2 versions of the trip (one kayak only, other with lunch and beach). If worse comes to worse I will book with an independent without the lunch. Thanks everyone for your replies!

Edited by FinallyConvincedDH2Cruise