Favorite NCL Ship & Itinerary and Why

taylortime05

Hi,

We like to relax, enjoy good meals and have good entertainment.

What has been your favorite NCL ship & Itinerary and why?

For entertainment my wife & I enjoyed the mega-ships (Escape/Getaway/Epic) the most. We took in a show or a band on most nights and were rarely disappointed. Good food and relaxation are available, but sometimes you've got to look for them.

But our fave class of ships overall is, like a few others here have already mentioned, the Jewel class ships (Jade/Jewel). Big, but not huge; easy to get around, but a lot to discover & do; can almost always find a little solitude somewhere onboard to escape the crowds.

Hard to pick a fave NCL cruise, but I'd go with our Mediterranean cruise on the Jade a few years ago (Italy/Greece/Turkey/overnight in Egypt/Malta/etc) - - really glad we did that one before the area became more politically problematic. But even back then we had automatic-rifle-toting guards on the bus with our shore excursion parties in Egypt wherever we went. GREAT trip, though!

For entertainment my wife & I enjoyed the mega-ships (Escape/Getaway/Epic) the most. We took in a show or a band on most nights and were rarely disappointed. Good food and relaxation are available, but sometimes you've got to look for them.

But our fave class of ships overall is, like a few others here have already mentioned, the Jewel class ships (Jade/Jewel). Big, but not huge; easy to get around, but a lot to discover & do; can almost always find a little solitude somewhere onboard to escape the crowds.

Hard to pick a fave NCL cruise, but I'd go with our Mediterranean cruise on the Jade a few years ago (Italy/Greece/Turkey/overnight in Egypt/Malta/etc) - - really glad we did that one before the area became more politically problematic. But even back then we had automatic-rifle-toting guards on the bus with our shore excursion parties in Egypt wherever we went. GREAT trip, though!

We planned for a cruise to Egypt and Turkey but reconsidered when things got dicey.

We did however make it to Italy and Greece on our transatlantic… But during that Cruise my mom got bronchitis so she did miss a few of the great ports.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our first cruise was on the Dawn 7 nights in 2005, just us and MIL. We loved it. Next was the Jewel for 7 nights with the kiddo (she was 4). Even better cruise than the first. We did a 2 night cruise to nowhere on the Jewel. Fantastic.

Then we did the Breakaway 7 nights again with the kid, same itinerary as the first 2 cruises. We loved the Breakaway so much we did a 14 night cruise this past January and are going on Breakaway for 13 nights on Monday.

So far the Breakaway is our favorite ship. After 21 nights onboard we still haven't seen everything.

Interesting the claim of Sun. :) It isn't my opinion. It's an ok ship at best, for me. I'm just off a 5 week sailing last week and another 4 weeks in March. Also have been on the Star, Spirit and Dawn this year.

The sun was the least "comfortable". Small buffet dining area, that in cool weather is a wind tunnel. Unfortunately- with 2 itineraries of Alaska and horn sailing, some inconvenience. Different story with Brazil.

I do like the mega ships of the Breakaway and Epic- with the TA mention- the Epic always price dumps for an advantage of late booking (which I take advantage of).

My priority is itinerary only. I don't care what ship. Depends on you?

My top itinerary choices are not the Caribbean. The world is small.

Edited by Budget Queen

Interesting the claim of Sun. :) It isn't my opinion. It's an ok ship at best, for me. I'm just off a 5 week sailing last week and another 4 weeks in March. Also have been on the Star, Spirit and Dawn this year.

The sun was the least "comfortable". Small buffet dining area, that in cool weather is a wind tunnel. Unfortunately- with 2 itineraries of Alaska and horn sailing, some inconvenience. Different story with Brazil.

I do like the mega ships of the Breakaway and Epic- with the TA mention- the Epic always price dumps for an advantage of late booking (which I take advantage of).

My priority is itinerary only. I don't care what ship. Depends on you?

My top itinerary choices are not the Caribbean. The world is small.

I booked the Sun for my second time because I wanted to cruise in the same suite and balcony. I really did not care where she went. HAHA.

I hate buffets so that was never an issue. The suite dining venue on the Sun is a beautiful place. Breakfast and lunch were s must there.

Guess we are opposites. Isn't it great there is something for everyone? (In fact, My name could be SplurgeQueen, since I do not really budget.)

Barb have you seen the 14 night cruise on the Dawn October 26,2018? Boston to 7 Caribbean islands and returns to Boston.

Yes thank you. We are considering it in addition to Bermuda, which we have already booked.

That would be wonderful, because it boards on my birthday, and school will be in session.

I booked the Sun for my second time because I wanted to cruise in the same suite and balcony. I really did not care where she went. HAHA.

I hate buffets so that was never an issue. The suite dining venue on the Sun is a beautiful place. Breakfast and lunch were s must there.

Guess we are opposites. Isn't it great there is something for everyone? (In fact, My name could be SplurgeQueen, since I do not really budget.)

Yes it's wonderful, there is something for everyone. The ship is never the reason I cruise. My "splurge" is cruising every month, visiting places of my interest. I do love picking up those last minute price dumps. :)

Just to clarify, the NCL Sun has 1,936 guests at double occupancy. 1,038 is a typo. Still fewer guests than on the Spirit, but only by about 100.

oops!!! Yeah thats a typo :D. Thanks for catching that. Guess thats what occurs when I dont proof-read as well as I thought I did :)

Another vote for the Jewel Class. I love them! I disagree that they are "mid-size"; they are behomoths. But they are manageable for passengers, and offer lots of public ocean-view space. I also like the Dawn class ships.

NCL is clearly going for a stacked "shopping mall on a barge" business model with the new ships. I've tried them and will not repeat. Count me out.

Agreed, anything larger than the Jewel class is not enjoyable as far as we are concerned.