Getaway 9/11-18 notes

ejnsb

Since this was our second Getaway this year and I did a longer review of the March trip, this will be mostly notes and thoughts. I welcome any questions.

The March trip was family, this one with another couple. We loved our aft facing balcony (9920) so much in March we booked it again and our friends were in 9918. Balconies were awesome but it was much hotter this trip so we really didn't spend much time out there. Service was fine, no complants. We kept a card in the slot all the time to keep the power on and used the buttons when we wanted service.

Dining was very good. We ate in Moderno, Cagney's, Le Bistro, Teppenyaki, Tropicana twice and Shanghai's. Everything in Cagney's was excellent, the salad bar in Moderno was dynamite, Le Bistro was very good across the board and Teppenyaki was fun and delicious. Service in the specialties was top notch, a little less so in Tropicana.

We saw Burn the Floor and Million Dollar Quartet and they were easily the best shows I have ever seen at sea. MDQ's cast was amazing, especially the Carl Perkins and Jerry Lee Lewis characters. Burn had amazing dancers, singers and percussionists. Production values were top notch.

We saw them working on converting Flamingo to Margaritaville and one of the crew told us it was on for opening on the 18th but it sure didn't look like it on the 17th.

Service in the bars was excellent. Drinks were very good. As a scotch drinker I can report that you will pay about 2.50 extra for Glenfiddich, 3.50 for Macallan, Glenlivet, etc. I cannot imagine not having UDP and paying the very high drink prices.

I don't have much to say abut the ports. We had a nice day on Little French Key in Roatan but did not do much in the other ports. It was very hot and after a few minutes ashore we were ready to go back to outr beautiful ship.

Again, I will be goad to answer any questions.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Glad to hear you had such a fun cruise! What were the temperatures like? I know you said it was hot but how hot is hot? :) Also, how bad were the mosquitos? My wife and I have picked up the insect repellent but want to be know what we're heading into.

Thanks for your review!

we live in Florida and are used to heat but it was between uncomfortable and unbearable during the heat of the day. We took repellant but never saw a mosquito. Hopefully the temps will moderate some for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Gotcha! Here's to hoping! Thanks for the quick response:)

we live in Florida and are used to heat but it was between uncomfortable and unbearable during the heat of the day. We took repellant but never saw a mosquito. Hopefully the temps will moderate some for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The power outlets and a/c power off unless you have your room card or a similar card with a magnetic stripe in a slot by the door. The easy thing to do is put your room key in the slot when you were in the room. But if you leave and pull the card and are trying to charge any electronics, the chargers lose power. Also, there are little lights above your exterior cabin door that show when you have a card in and the room stewards won't come in if it is lit so to overcome that we push the make up room now when we were out and wanted service. For us, we used a AAA card all week.

Environmentally friendly I suppose, but sounds annoying overall. I'd like my room to be cool when I come back.

So if we forget to put it in at night the AC will turn off on us? Any idea what the time frame is?

Is there a nightlight in the bathroom at all? The only plus I found on my first Celebrity cruise! Such a little thing, but I certainly appreciated it every night.

Also another question, and I hope I don't offend... My husband and I both smoke. Did you notice any bars where people could actually sit at the bar and smoke?

I've heard the Sunset Bar on 8 and rumors of possibly the Vibe Bar and Spice H2O bar. Could you confirm this?

I don't think the lights work without it, so I doubt you'll forget to put it in at night. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So your cabin has no power unless you put the card in? How strange. What happens when you walk into you cabin late at night?

And how do you find the slot if there are no lights?

So your cabin has no power unless you put the card in? How strange. What happens when you walk into you cabin late at night?

it doesn't affect the lights as far as I can remember.

in suites they are kind enough to supply a card which is pre-inserted and stays so for the length of your stay

The slot is right by the door and there is plenty of light from the hallway to find it. Also, the A/C will turn off with the balcony doors open.

As for smoking areas, I believe you can smoke at the outdoor Sunset bar. There is also a designated area near the pool bar. Inside, there is the cigar bar, next to Sunset.

Sorry, but I did not save dailies this time.

Yes, everything appeared to turn off. The card slot it just inside the door, hall lights will help you locate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just got of this trip as well, my 4th on the Getaway. The ship is amazing, the food was great and the staff was friendly and attentive. But, being the 4th trip, I did notice some of the things that have changed or been taken away over the course of time. Nothing major or unreported elsewhere, but changes nevertheless. Single biggest change is the absence of the fireworks show, which we only saw on our first trip. Also gone was Lobster from the Le Bistro menu and the individual toiletries in the bathroom. But, even with a few grumbles, it was a totally awesome week which we will repeat as soon as possible.:)