Main dining room open for lunch on embarkation day? Explorer

LovetheSea

We always try and make lunch in the main dining room on Embarkation Day.

It has been many years since I have cruised on RCCL. My last cruises were on Holland, Princess and Celebrity. I am unfamiliar with RCCL these days. Although I used to cruise with them a lot, Diamond Member. I leave on Friday, so have questions. :confused:

It has been many years since I have cruised on RCCL. My last cruises were on Holland, Princess and Celebrity. I am unfamiliar with RCCL these days. Although I used to cruise with them a lot, Diamond Member. I leave on Friday, so have questions. :confused:

Royal does not offer lunch in the MDR on boarding day, except for special groups from time to time such as back to back guests.

Our last cruise on Explorer was pretty darn enjoyable food wise the whole cruise!....K.O.:)

The best I can say is most of it was edible. The service/crew was outstanding and the ship looked great, but the food was meh and the entertainment with the exception of Joel Mason was cringe worthy.

I just miss bread!

Me too!!! Been dieting for a month of so, very limited options. When my cruise starts on Friday, watch out!

Always interesting to read food opinions. They vary SO much. Every cruise we've been on (RCCL & Norwegian only to this point), we've found plenty of food to enjoy, peppered with occasional "blah" items and one or two stinkers. We've not had what we would call Michelin 4-star food either...but to me it's amazing what great service and nice decor (like in the MDR) can do to elevate good but not great food. Cruising puts me in such a good mood, I can even survive a week or more without green chile from New Mexico.

I love that on Princess, the MDR is open on embarkation day. However, I'm still fairly loyal to RCI so we'll continue to fight the crowds in the Windjammer. DH always says we should wait to get on the ship until 1pm when the rooms are ready but I want to spend every minute on our cruise.

Hi,

Just wondering if Johnny Rockets is open on embarkation day? If it is, I'll bet it is super busy huh?

Maybe we should just go to the concierge lounge.....they might have a bite of something in there for us.....does anyone know?

Cheers,

AJ

It was not open for lunch on embarkation day, but it did open later in the afternoon.

Edited by clarea

Just a bit off from your question. The MDR is open for lunch on Sea Days. We like the Tutti salad offered on those days and on our sailing they also offered a buffet style dessert station at lunch. Yum! First time on all our RCCL Cruises we've seen that. We just returned from the Explorer on 23 September. We ate all our meals in the MDR and thought the selections we ordered were really good.

Edited by davekathy