Port of San Francisco

lncruisers

We will be on the Celebrity Infinity October 7th cruising from San Francisco through the Panama Canal to Fort Lauderdale. We were wondering if there will be time to visit San Francisco quickly before the chip embarks at 5:00

We arrive to San Fran at 8:30 on the 7th. Is it realistic to think we can get in some sightseeing? Will we be allowed to come back off of the ship after we go through customs and board the ship?

Any suggestions or info that would help us?

Thanks,

Norm & Lisa

If you are arriving at 8:30 am you could hire a private tour guide one that will keep your bags with you

If the ship sails at 5pm you need to be onboard by 3:30pm

One option would be to drop your bags after 9 am & go into the Wharf area for a few hours

You will not see a lot but maybe a few things around town

you could post on the West coast forum maybe others will have more ideas

I agree with the above. Drop off bags then spend time in the wharf area. Restaurants, people watching, the seals. Make reservations in advance online to visit Alcatraz. They are booked in advance. To see more, ride the cable cars, Chinatown, etc. go in a day or more early.

I agree with the above. Drop off bags then spend time in the wharf area. Restaurants, people watching, the seals. Make reservations in advance online to visit Alcatraz. They are booked in advance. To see more, ride the cable cars, Chinatown, etc. go in a day or more early.

While Alcatraz is interesting, getting to and from and seeng the island would make it nearly impossible to see anything else. Better to take a cable car or two, maybe hit Fishermans Wharf, Chinatown, Nob Hill, etc.

If I was you, I would get a taxi at the airport to the port, on the 30 minute ride into the city, explore with the taxi driver the opportunity for 1-2 hour drive around the city. San Francisco is a small city, a good taxi driver could easily drive you around to the highlights... views are fantastic in the city. If you did this you would not even have to drop off your bags... take the tour and then come back to the ship with bags and all when you are finished.

Error #1: flying in on departure day.

Error #2: not spending at least 2 days to explore SF.

Except for dining at someplace like The Slanted Door in the Ferry Building, doing Alcatraz (yes, worth the trip), and enjoying an Irish Coffee at the Buena Vista, the Embarcadero is just too many tourist junk shops.

Though it is "49 square miles surrounded by reality," SF is very manageable with transportation and has much to see, do and eat.

Worth the extra pre/post cruise days are the DeYoung, Academy of Science and other Golden Gate Park attractions, interesting neighborhoods like North Beach and the Castro, the always unusual performances at Beach Blanket Babylon and a host of other Bay Area attractions (e.g., head north to Sonoma wine country).

Error #1: flying in on departure day.

Error #2: not spending at least 2 days to explore SF.

Except for dining at someplace like The Slanted Door in the Ferry Building, doing Alcatraz (yes, worth the trip), and enjoying an Irish Coffee at the Buena Vista, the Embarcadero is just too many tourist junk shops.

Though it is "49 square miles surrounded by reality," SF is very manageable with transportation and has much to see, do and eat.

Worth the extra pre/post cruise days are the DeYoung, Academy of Science and other Golden Gate Park attractions, interesting neighborhoods like North Beach and the Castro, the always unusual performances at Beach Blanket Babylon and a host of other Bay Area attractions (e.g., head north to Sonoma wine country).

Right - it always amazes me that someone will plan a cruise and worry about what to do in the few hours at each port of call ---- but will ignore the amazing opportunity to spend real quality time at a great port of embarkation -- be it San Francisco, New York, Rome, Venice, Athens, wherever ...... how mindless!

Right - it always amazes me that someone will plan a cruise and worry about what to do in the few hours at each port of call ---- but will ignore the amazing opportunity to spend real quality time at a great port of embarkation -- be it San Francisco, New York, Rome, Venice, Athens, wherever ...... how mindless!

Agree 100%. I don't understand why people take a cruise to explore ports of call, but give the embarkation and disembarkation ports little attention. You have to pay the cost of transportation to get to the cruise ship, so the travel cost to visit that city is already covered. Just spend a couple hundred dollars more for a hotel for at least one night and enjoy a day exploring yet another place on your vacation.

We always budget time and money to spend two or three days in the ports we get on and off the ship. Might as well take advantage that we have to be there anyway to get on the ship by allowing time to enjoy it. It's a real shame to pass up the opportunity, since many of these ports are world renowned cities by themselves.

Edited by sloopsailor

I am sorry you feel we are mindless "navybankerteacher" !!

We DID try to get a hotel for a couple of days prior to our arrival but it is FLEET WEEK as you should probably know given your user name. I am not going to pay $600.00 a night for a hotel. We just wanted to get info on the best places for quick walk around the area.

Thanks for nothing "navybankerteacher"

To all other positive posters, thank you !

I am sorry you feel we are mindless "navybankerteacher" !!

We DID try to get a hotel for a couple of days prior to our arrival but it is FLEET WEEK as you should probably know given your user name. I am not going to pay $600.00 a night for a hotel. We just wanted to get info on the best places for quick walk around the area.

Thanks for nothing "navybankerteacher"

To all other positive posters, thank you !

And how much would it cost you to get back to San Francisco on another visit so you could have a chance to see one of the most interesting and beautiful cities in North America? I stand by "mindless".

Edited by navybankerteacher
A quick check of hotel sites showed a number of possibilities less than 2 miles from center for $300+/- per night.

for OP - I was a two year tourist to San Fran .... here's my recommendations

- go straight to the pier and check in .... once you 'board' you CAN go back out so long as you re-board b4 they close the gates .... and you are back for the emergency drill

- the cruise piers are next to the Pier 39 / Fishman's Wharf complex which IS a tourist trap but is an easy walk from the ship and gives some color .... you can see Alc' and the seals and grab a decent San Fran' meal .....

- in your situation there is NO WAY I'd try to book Alc' .... it takes too long and as I recall you need to pick a boarding time ..... not a good plan for you. Come back some day and visit and do it ... but not now.

- IME the wait to get on a cable car from Fisherman's Wharf is typically over an hour so don't hold your breath on doing that either. My preferred tourist plan for a cable car ride would be to take a taxi to the cable car museum where you can board the line TO the Wharf .... I've never seen a wait here and you DO get some of the fantastic sights (ride down the steep hills by cable car). You COULD do this ride in about an hour IME. I've dropped visitors at the mus', gone & parked at FW, and met them at the station at FW .... even on the busiest of days .... finding a parking place was the only issue and you don't have that worry!

That's what I'd do if I was in your shoes ...... enjoy.

for OP - I was a two year tourist to San Fran .... here's my recommendations

...- the cruise piers are next to the Pier 39 / Fishman's Wharf complex which IS a tourist trap but is an easy walk from the ship and gives some color .... you can see Alc' and the seals and grab a decent San Fran' meal .....

I don't believe that the cruise piers are next to Pier 39 any longer. The new cruise pier is Pier 27 which is south of the old cruise pier. I will be docking at Pier 27 in a couple of weeks.

I don't believe that the cruise piers are next to Pier 39 any longer. The new cruise pier is Pier 27 which is south of the old cruise pier. I will be docking at Pier 27 in a couple of weeks.

The new cruise terminal is only a 10 minute walk to pier 39. The main part of the Fisherman's Wharf area is a few minutes further. Exit the cruise terminal and turn right along the waterfront.

Since the OP is visiting during Fleet Week, they should expect very heavy crowds, especially if it's when the Blue Angles are doing shows. Traffic to and from the cruise terminal will be very heavy and slow, with possible street closures in the area for event activities. Allow plenty of time to get to the terminal.

parade-san-francisco-fleet-week.jpg.rend.tccom.616.462.jpeg

fleetweek-9a0d741b.jpeg?ver=1469229666&aspectratio=1.6539440203562

fleetweekcrowds.jpg

Edited by sloopsailor

We also arrived early in the am, drop your bags with the porter. You will loose too much time if you wait to check in. Then do what some the others have recommended. Leave carry on if possible, it sure gets heavy during the day. Also checking with the cabbie may be a good option. Enjoy your visit. Did you try Oakland or San Jose for hotels, they are not that far from the pier. We actually fly into Oakland, because it is closer to the port. Whatever you do, enjoy.