Anthem 8266- will scooter fit?

Karen S.

We have a cruise booked on the Anthem in October -regular balcony room 8266. My husband has a health issue and now may need to take a scooter for mobility. We would change rooms but no handicap rooms are available. I think it will fit inside if the bed is beside the balcony but no one seems to be able to tell us if that is the case. Does anyone know the room configuration of this cabin?

Thank you, Karen

Several years ago, prior to her knee replacement, my mother needed a scooter when traveling on the Navigator of the Seas. She found a local (to the port) company that rented them and had foldable models. I believe they were somewhat more pricey than the traditional scooters, but worked very well for her. My dad could fold it up and it would fit in their balcony stateroom. For reference purposes, my mom was over 200lbs and felt very secure in her scooter.

Might be worth looking online to see if you can find a similar service. :)

The doorway is 23" wide from door frame to door frame. 2" than must be deducted for the depth of the door as it does not open flush to the wall leaving only 21" for the total threshold clearance. The scooter must be less than 21" in width to fit through the doorway.

It's also important to night that the scooter cannot be stored in the hallway regardless of what the cabin steward may tell you. It's a violation of SOLAS (Safety of Life at Seas) to store a scooter in the hallway as it impedes the safety of ALL passenger. I do use a scooter for cruising and though I'm sympathetic to your husband's circumstance I do report all scooters stored in the hallway's to security. If security does not remove it promptly I go up the ranks to the Captain if required.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Was on Anthem last year and we saw plenty of scooters not exactly in the hallway but just before the hallway and the "foyer" or whatever you call it. They were plugged into the walls for charging. I would say a scooter would not fit in a regular room on Anthem.

You may want to see if an accessible cabin is available on your sailing for it would have a wider doorway.

When my mother travels with us, we always get her an accessible cabin. The wider doorway, roomier cabin and accessible features makes the voyage more comfortable and safer.

Thanks for all your replies! We did ask the same question of the cruise line but you all are much faster with the answers. There was no handicap accessible cabin available or we would have gladly booked that. We also won't be leaving it in the hallway, so I am still not sure what the plan is.

Karen

My sister has taken a scooter on the Anthem. We were in a D1. She has also taken it on an inside room on Independence. It has to go in the stateroom at night but as long as you accept that ther will be limited space there would not be a problem. Can't remember if there was a coffee table on the Anthem but this year on the Independence just moved it.

We just booked a scooter through Special Needs at Sea for my mom to use on the Allure. They said the small and medium sizes will fit through the stateroom door. The largest size will only fit in an accessible room. We plan on parking it on the balcony. I think the only difference in the D1-D5 rooms are location, not size. If you could fit it around the bed it should be fine.

We just booked a scooter through Special Needs at Sea for my mom to use on the Allure. They said the small and medium sizes will fit through the stateroom door. The largest size will only fit in an accessible room. We plan on parking it on the balcony. I think the only difference in the D1-D5 rooms are location, not size. If you could fit it around the bed it should be fine.

I doubt you will be able to get a scooter past the end of the bed to get to the balcony, that space is very tight. Even if you were able to get it paast the bed, there is no ramp to get it onto the balcony. You will have to put it in front of the sofa.

Where would you plug in the battery charger on the balcony even if you did get by the end of the bed and somehow lifted the scooter over the raised door threshold as I don't believe there will be a power outlet out there. Also leaving the sliding door slightly open for the use of a power cord from an inside plug will stop the cabins AC.

Edited by robtulipe

Where would you plug in the battery charger on the balcony even if you did get by the end of the bed and somehow lifted the scooter over the raised door threshold as I don't believe there will be a power outlet out there. Also leaving the sliding door slightly open for the use of a power cord from an inside plug will stop the cabins AC.

Not to mention the fact that you are told not to leave anything out on the balcony.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a scooter because of back issues can't walk far we bought a tzora elite travel scooter it folds like a stroller or can be taken apart in two pieces I have used it on Explorer and Freedom also shopping anywhere we go great in malls with the grandkids on board the ship as it folds i store it in the closet the battery detaches so I can plug it in to charge on the dressing table a friend of mine said she saw a rental company that has them I will try to find out the name and send it to you they are very comfortable

Parking the scooter on the balcony is NOT a good idea.

Moisture can damage the electronics of the scooter. If it rains than you're sure to a have an issue. The scooter has a warning sticker on the tiller based regarding this very issue.

Hope you have purchased full insurance coverage in your rental agreement as you are responsible for full replacement cost if not

We have a cruise booked on the Anthem in October -regular balcony room 8266. My husband has a health issue and now may need to take a scooter for mobility. We would change rooms but no handicap rooms are available. I think it will fit inside if the bed is beside the balcony but no one seems to be able to tell us if that is the case. Does anyone know the room configuration of this cabin?

Thank you, Karen

My husband has limited mobility issues and uses a rollator walker. We also request a shower chair if we don't have an accessible cabin. Maybe that would work for you.

Thanks for all your replies. We have decided to rent a scooter to be delivered onboard to our room. Hopefully it will go smoothly. If we can get a foldable one that will be great but I don't know if that is a choice.