Celebrity Suite vs Princess

Oceangoer2

Considering a suite next cruise and haven't been on a Princess ship in years. Does anyone know if the suites are somewhat the same? Price seems higher on X so I wonder if that would be because they're larger, nicer, include more, etc. I'm not thinking anything higher than S1 or S2; don't know what they call compatible suites on the Princess ships.

I cruised Princess 2 years ago and had a mini suite for 14 days - we were very happy with it - large bathroom with separate bathtub and shower - plenty of storage space, a walk in wardrobe with hanging and drawer space, a separate bedroom and living area and 2 tv's - the balcony was also quite large. It was the first time we had had a suite and would do it again in a heart beat - our suite was right near the lifts but we never had any disturbances with noise. I can't comment on celebrity as we are taking our first cruise with them next year - we have booked a Sky Suite and quite looking forward to it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Celebrity suites (from S2 up) get to dine in the separate Luminae restaurant, which offers a level of food and service that is unmatched on Princess. You also get Michael's Club, with a small-ship ambience and a dedicated Concierge. At present, Princess doesn't have anything like these perks -- they will soon be creating a new Club Class dining area (a roped-off part of the main dining room) with enhanced menus and service, but at this point no one knows how good it will be and even Princess' marketing doesn't make it sound as good as Luminae.

We usually sail Celebrity in a suite, but went with Princess in a penthouse suite for our May British Isles cruise because they had the itinerary we wanted. Celebrity does a better job overall with their suites, although the new Club Class dining hasn't started yet so that may somewhat level the playing fields. On Celebrity, all suites get a butler with afternoon delivery of tea, a special suites-only restaurant (Luminae) where the food and decor and service are several steps above the MDR, and the private suites only Michael's Club lounge which is seldom if ever crowded and the service is superior to the regular lounges. Also, there is a concierge based in Michael's to assist you with issues/problems/.recommendations. And you will have access to a cooler in Michael's where you can freely pick up sodas, wine and beer to take with you back to your cabin. We had a great cruise with Princess but they really need to increase their suite perks to compare to Celebrity.

Can't yet speak for Celebrity's suite life from experience but we've done several Princess cruises in differing categories of suites. Outside of the new Club Class program mentioned above that was initially a way of adding extra perks to mini suite cabins (who previously got nothing but a token welcome onboard glass of champagne, enough extra space for a small couch and a tub/shower combo) but full suites will have access to as well, the basic concept of suites when it comes to Princess is that while there are different sizes and locations of suites that will vary in price, the perks for use on board are the same for any suite passenger. Full suites are also the only cabins with a separated out bathroom setup with a powder room style bathroom entered from the main living space and the bathtub/shower stall in a second space. The shower side can be entered from the bedroom side of the cabin and there's a door in between the two bathroom sections. We love the spread out layout so that one of us can be showering and the other can be brushing teeth etc without having to share the same space.

Since you mentioned S1 and S2 (and honestly looking at the pics of a Sky Suite on Celebrity's website, it looks like a Princess mini suite in layout and size), I'll compare Celebrity's perks listed for that category to Princess' full suite perks) Another difference is that at least in the Princess suites we've been in, the only separation between living and bedroom spaces is a curtain whereas Celebrity seems to have a door. Also, Princess doesn't offer butler service like Celebrity. Princess doesn't have a whole restaurant dedicated to suite guests, just the option of having breakfast served in one of the specialty restaurants for a more relaxing, less crowded experience. (and slightly different menu but has all the expected breakfast basics) Nothing like Michael's and no reserved theater seating. We do get priority embarkation/debarkation, priority tender, and the option to order off the dining room menu for in suite dining. Suites also get the first night free in any specialty restaurant.

We get the option of afternoon canapes but now it seems it's in the form of a card to fill out and leave with your choices. We don't usually care for the choices so we don't bother. We also get one use of the minibar items for free with the option of changing out its contents for our preferences. We've only ever requested separate pillows once and we've always had the little bottles of "upgraded" toiletries happily replenished as needed. We have many times taken advantage of the "suite" passenger separate line at guest services and frequently used the perk of calling for priority dining reservations. We're simple in our requirements so whether we have one showerhead over the other or fresh flowers, it doesn't matter to us or would we have ever noticed.

Thanks to all for your detailed replies. In further research there's not much difference in cost (X is a little higher but includes OBC and other high cost 'perks') for a guaranteed Christmas sailing.

Edited by oceangoer2

We have done a number of mini suites on Princess and als a few suites. The mini suites are all identical and are the same width as any other cabin. The extra space is a small sitting area next to the balcony. We always found that the Princess full suites were stuck in corners in awkward places. We were in one at the very front above the bridge which was flooded every night. It was also next to the so called secret door that allowed access to the area above the bridge. It also allowed everyone to look right into our room.

Generally you got nothing extra in the mini suites and a single mini bar set up once in the suite. Other than that you got using Sabattinis for breakfast in a full suite which was nice.

Celebrity suites are the same depth as regular cabins. The Sky suite is 50% larger than a regular cabin, CS is double the size, RS is 3 times the size etc. All Celebrity suites come with butler, access to Michael's club which has free drinks all day and Luminae, the suite restaurant. Signature, Royal and above get the same as Sky suitesalso get unlimited internet for 2, unlimited speciality restaurants, Premium drink package and two litres of alcohol plus mixers water and beer in the cabin.

While the Sky suites are the same size as the Princess but are squarer so they work better. They and the CS have a bath/shower combo with the other suites having separate showers and baths and the whole bathroom area in the Sky suite is bigger than the mini suite. The balcony in the Sky suite is half as big again compared to the mini suite.

Having sampled full suites and Sky/mini suites on each line, Celebrity suites give a whole lot more than just extra space.

Sailed both Princess and Celebrity. We have not sailed Princess in several years but my recollection from sailing in mini-suites - not really a suite in my mind. We saw nothing significant other than a bit more room and negligible "perks." Celebrity has added significant perks to all their suites. Michaels club alone beats almost any perk we had or saw on Princess. Then add a butler, special restaurant which we really enjoy, and separate bedroom with a door for the top 3 suites - in my mind adds up to a clear win for Celebrity. However, it also depends on a persons cruise style. Whatever you choose I hope you enjoy it. Only problem - once you sail in a suite on Celebrity, it is difficult not to want the experience again.

Thanks to all for your detailed replies. In further research there's not much difference in cost (X is a little higher but includes OBC and other high cost 'perks') for a guaranteed Christmas sailing.

For sure, X suites are more upscale. Go for it.

Let me put one thing straight:

A Princess mini-suite is not comparable to any Celebrity suite. They are just a larger balcony cabin. You're comparing apples to oranges if you compare a Celebrity suite to a Princess mini-suite.

The Princess minis have very, very few perks (most wouldn't even notice them) and they are in a class by themselves basically for their size. They're very narrow and long. They have 2 TVs (in 95% of the ships), a 3-cushion sofa and a bathtub.

To compare suites, you would need to go up to a FULL suite with Princess and compare that the Celebrity's suites. I've had many Princess suites in all different categories, from the least expensive full suite to the largest. The perks are nice and the cabins are very well-appointed.

If you're looking for butler service, a separate lounge or a separate dining area, you won't get that with Princess. Try to compare apples to apples.

Here's a brand-new review of a suite on Princess (the Grand Suite, which is the most expensive real estate on Caribbean Princess):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2405410

The reviewer loved the cruise, but I noted this portion:

We only ate in the main dining room (Palm late seating traditional) a couple of times. While the food was very good, the service was not as good as last year. It appeared to me there were less waiters than there were last year as the service seemed noticeably slower. We ate one night in the Crown Grill and also in Sabatini's. I found both experiences to be very good. While both venues were definitely worth the $29pp cover charge, they didn't wow me.

Note that even the most expensive suite on Princess has to dine in the main dining room or the buffet, with the cutbacks that most non-luxury cruise lines have been doing, and has to pay the regular price for the speciality restaurants. Even a Celebrity Sky Suite gets much better amenities than this!

• 1 month later...

First post, so what a way to jump in; especially to a several month old thread!

For background, I'm Platinum on Princess and have sailed mostly in their larger suites; a bit of experience with Celebrity, and have a Royal Suite on Reflection coming up in Feb 2017.

Both are great lines, but from my POV very different; in land based hotel terms, I think of Princess at the floating Marriott, and Celebrity (S Class) as floating W Hotel.

The overall 'vibe' is dramatically different to me, but I'm in the design business so the aesthetics that drive my preferences may not be as apparent or important to some people. My last few cruises on Princess have been in Penthouse or Owners Suites; their next to the top offering. The rooms are ok, not huge, very (very) dated in style; serviced by a room steward only and including no real tactile amenities aside from the standard cruise passenger. A HUGE plus for Princess rooms, especially on the back of the ship, is that the balconies are massive compared to S class Celebrity.

General service between them is about the same, though Celebrity Suite Class is decidedly more proactive and 'high touch', though Princess has provided some really great, warm service - by bar staff and specialty restaurant staff in particular.

If you are driven by itinerary, either will suit you well; though if you go Princess, I would highly recommend a room at the stern for the huge balconies. If the more intangible things matter a lot, Celebrity has a very large advantage in my opinion.

As a side, I personally prefer celebrity suite class over Seabourn, Crystal, Oceania or any of the more traditional 'high end' lines; their ships all tend to be way way too formal and old school in vibe and appearance.