Guaranteed Assignment is Wheelchair Accessible

ScottsSweetie

My sail date is 45 days away and we just received our room assignment for our inside guaranty that we booked.

We've been assigned to a wheelchair accessible room.

Wondering if any of you have ever received this in the guaranty pool and if you were ultimately bumped from it and reassigned?

I can't comment on guaranty issue but unless someone was already booked and then had need to change to a handicap I think the odds are very small. I work with the differently able and w/c users know life takes a bit more planning.

I know when we take mom cruising we book very early to ensure we get an interior accessible across the hall from suitable balcony for us. (please don't think we are shutting mom in an interior. She can not do steps. There are no balcony staterooms that don't have a step up into the bathroom and a threshold out to the balcony)

I've been assigned an accessible room with a guarantee before.

They'll only hold those rooms open for people who actually need them for a certain amount of time. The fact that they're assigning them to guarantees at this point means they're no longer holding them open, so it's a pretty safe bet they won't move you.

My sail date is 45 days away and we just received our room assignment for our inside guaranty that we booked.

We've been assigned to a wheelchair accessible room.

Wondering if any of you have ever received this in the guaranty pool and if you were ultimately bumped from it and reassigned?

I have been assigned a wheelchair accessible room before and was not bumped.

I'm pretty sure Carnival has a whole slew of metrics that go into assigning room assignments. By now, if they assigned it to you, it's probably because they don't think it would sell on it's own in the "For Sale" pool.

I know when we take mom cruising we book very early to ensure we get an interior accessible across the hall from suitable balcony for us. (please don't think we are shutting mom in an interior. She can not do steps. There are no balcony staterooms that don't have a step up into the bathroom and a threshold out to the balcony)

On the Dream last year our balcony room was next door to a handicap balcony room. We got to know our neighbors and were invited for a drink with them in their room one night......There were -0- steps.... you could roll a wheelchair right into the bathroom. Going out onto the balcony had a metal raised thingy so a wheelchair could roll over it as well.....think of one of those things that cover a power cord where lots of people are walking in the area....it looked sorta like that. Don't know if it makes a difference or not but we were on the 8th floor I believe.

After a certain amount of time, the HC cabins are released to the general public.

Yes...HC cabins are larger, for wheelchairs to maneuver, and the bathrooms have grab bars, roll-in showers, etc....

I would prefer a standard cabin, if I didn't need a wheelchair, but you will get more space!

On the Dream last year our balcony room was next door to a handicap balcony room. We got to know our neighbors and were invited for a drink with them in their room one night......There were -0- steps.... you could roll a wheelchair right into the bathroom. Going out onto the balcony had a metal raised thingy so a wheelchair could roll over it as well.....think of one of those things that cover a power cord where lots of people are walking in the area....it looked sorta like that. Don't know if it makes a difference or not but we were on the 8th floor I believe.

Carnival has two different categories of handicapped cabins. One is accessible and the other is modified. From what I have read, the modified one have a shower and a ramp up to the bathroom but the bedroom is the same size as a standard room and the doors are a bit wider. The handicapped suites are made for wheelchair users and have wide doors, and lots of room to turn a wheelchair and access to the balcony. We have the handicapped accessible room booked for next year due to the young woman who will be traveling with us and she uses a wheelchair part time. When she has a seizure she is really unsteady on her feet for a day or two and she requires full assistance in taking a shower. As a previous poster commented, most people with disabilities do a lot of planning ahead (we booked our cruise 1 1/2 years out) in order to get the accommodations that will work best for them. So I would think your chances of being bumped would be slim at this point. Have a great trip!

My September cruise on Freedom was in a guarantee. We were assigned an interior handicap cabin. The cabin itself was about the same size. It only had 2 closets and no drawers at the desk (4 small ones in one of the 2 closets). There was no step up into the bathroom, and the door was wider. The shower was twice the size of a regular cabin shower, and there was a fold down shower chair and grab bars. The floor space was completely flat in order to accommodate a wheelchair if needed. I'll see if I can post a couple photos that I took.

Thanks for your responses. Are these rooms configured differently at all from a regular inside room?

We had one on the Liberty last January. The easiest way I can explain it is that it's "sideways", you enter the room between the foot of the bed and the closet. The bathroom is across from the foot of the bed behind the closet. Bathroom is larger, rest of room smaller. Doors are larger and can be opened automatically with push button. You can not deadbolt lock the cabin door. We liked the location, close to the pool, but did not like the layout.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Forums mobile app

My September cruise on Freedom was in a guarantee. We were assigned an interior handicap cabin. The cabin itself was about the same size. It only had 2 closets and no drawers at the desk (4 small ones in one of the 2 closets). There was no step up into the bathroom, and the door was wider. The shower was twice the size of a regular cabin shower, and there was a fold down shower chair and grab bars. The floor space was completely flat in order to accommodate a wheelchair if needed. I'll see if I can post a couple photos that I took.

Thanks for the pics. I have never seen drawers like that in the closet - is that the only closet? Where is the safe for the room?

We had one on the Liberty last January. The easiest way I can explain it is that it's "sideways", you enter the room between the foot of the bed and the closet. The bathroom is across from the foot of the bed behind the closet. Bathroom is larger, rest of room smaller. Doors are larger and can be opened automatically with push button. You can not deadbolt lock the cabin door. We liked the location, close to the pool, but did not like the layout.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Forums mobile app

This does NOT make me happy. :(:mad:

We had 2 closets, the one with the drawers and then another you can see in one of the other photos (with robes and life vests in it). My friend hung all her stuff up, and I used the drawers. We were fine, but also don't "overpack".

The safe was in a space above the desk, below the TV.

Our cabin did have a deadbolt.

We had 2 closets, the one with the drawers and then another you can see in one of the other photos (with robes and life vests in it). My friend hung all her stuff up, and I used the drawers. We were fine, but also don't "overpack".

The safe was in a space above the desk, below the TV.

Our cabin did have a deadbolt.

Modified accessible have a deadbolt;

fully accessible do not have a deadbolt due to the automatic door.

This happened to us when we booked a guarantee with NCL and it's one reason we won't book guarantee again, we didn't care for the HC cabin.

We've booked guarantee more than a dozen times (most of our cruises are booked at pack and go rates). While some rooms have been less desirable than others, we're willing to take the risk in order to sail more often.

I will definitely not be happy if my room does not have a dead bolt. I don't leave my house unlocked during the day, and I dead bolt the room any time I am in there on a cruise or in a hotel.

You are correct. Dream class does have W/C accessible balcony configurations. I think last cruise we couldn't get everyone together for more than a five day. Thanks for the clarification.

We've booked guarantee more than a dozen times (most of our cruises are booked at pack and go rates). While some rooms have been less desirable than others, we're willing to take the risk in order to sail more often.

I will definitely not be happy if my room does not have a dead bolt. I don't leave my house unlocked during the day, and I dead bolt the room any time I am in there on a cruise or in a hotel.

If we could cruise more often because of it then I would probably bite the bullet and book another guarantee, but I haven't seen enough savings in booking one that it would make that much difference.

We once got a modified interior cabin as a guarantee. Once they make the entrance door and the bathroom door wider, there isn't much wall space left for closets, and the room was shorter because the bathroom was so big. Alas, we did not get bumped from this cabin.....