New Mattresses

pincak

I just did a search for Emerald and Mattress and got here. :) I was wondering if Emerald would have the new mattresses this October when we sail. It sounds as if the new mattresses are already in place on Emerald - at least in some cabins - so we should almost certainly have one of the new mattresses in our balcony cabin.

I'm hoping they aren't too soft for us. We use a firm mattress and a soft, squishy mattress causes me intense pain as my back is pretty much trashed. We've never had a bad night's sleep with the old mattresses. It sounds as if this shouldn't be an issue as the foam is only a topper. Hopefully that's the case as 28 nights on an uncomfortable mattress would essentially cripple me. We do have the AIBP (a perk under the Sip and Sail promo) but I don't really want to have to drink myself to sleep each night. Not only would it have other adverse effects but the snoring would likely make my wife extremely unhappy. :eek:

Thrak,

I know 100% the Emerald has the new mattresses. We were on last year when they were changing them out. They also have the new linens.

I just did a search for Emerald and Mattress and got here. :) I was wondering if Emerald would have the new mattresses this October when we sail. It sounds as if the new mattresses are already in place on Emerald - at least in some cabins - so we should almost certainly have one of the new mattresses in our balcony cabin.

I'm hoping they aren't too soft for us. We use a firm mattress and a soft, squishy mattress causes me intense pain as my back is pretty much trashed. We've never had a bad night's sleep with the old mattresses. It sounds as if this shouldn't be an issue as the foam is only a topper. Hopefully that's the case as 28 nights on an uncomfortable mattress would essentially cripple me. We do have the AIBP (a perk under the Sip and Sail promo) but I don't really want to have to drink myself to sleep each night. Not only would it have other adverse effects but the snoring would likely make my wife extremely unhappy. :eek:

We were on the Emerald for 49 nights from the end of September. The beds were by far the best we have encountered on any cruiseship. They were supportive innerspring with a soft 'topping'. The bed linens are also lovely.

For interest I measured the width of the mattresses. They are each 36 inches wide. I think this is slightly wider than the old mattresses. I noticed that the bed frames have U-shaped pieces of metal welded on, presumably to keep the slightly wider mattress in place.

The Emerald was one of the first ships to have a total change, so you will have the new mattresses. I have a bad back, but I need a softer mattress. I was getting towards the end of a 3 month physical therapy rehab on my back when I went on the Island. I so wished I had a new mattress. That said, I am afraid the new mattresses may be too soft for some. They did have good support for me, but a nice squishy top. I loved it. I hope you will be okay with it. I have the Emerald booked for a long cruise in 2018. I'm hoping the mattresses hold up from now until then!

We also had the new mattress on the Emerald last May.

and I want to know where I can buy one for home - it was heaven but finding one 'in the wild' is kinda like the KFC secret recipe - I cannot find out where I can buy one .... he says with an open ended plea for help :D:D:D

I find it interesting on that link above all about the beds but doesn't have a date for the Diamond getting them. (All other ships tho...)

Is that subtly telling us something....

Having just got off the Diamond I can confirm the beds are not in the best shape. I had major back pain from ending up in the middle of the queen set up (the two twins pushed together) - and I'm in my early 30s! Fortunately, massages helped and the bedding in my hotel these past few nights has been heavenly.

and I want to know where I can buy one for home - it was heaven but finding one 'in the wild' is kinda like the KFC secret recipe - I cannot find out where I can buy one .... he says with an open ended plea for help :D:D:D

We would also like the buy one of these beds for our home. :)