Welcome drinks?

Vibrantvirgo81

I just read on another board that they give out welcome drinks (in souvenir cups) but they aren't free and don't really tell you that beforehand. Is that accurate? Also, if I get the drink package would it be included?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

NO, the drinks in any sort of souvenir glasses are not included in the Cheers! package. And, NO they are not free. They greet you as you board and have them on a tray, but are not free.

I just read on another board that they give out welcome drinks (in souvenir cups) but they aren't free and don't really tell you that beforehand. Is that accurate? Also, if I get the drink package would it be included?

Sure they tell you.They are bar waiters. On some NYE cruises we've been handed champagne on deck, but free drinks when boarding a Carnival ship hasn't been an option, and we go back to 1976 on the Mardi Gras.

Edited by BallFour4

It's true they have welcome drinks in souvenir cups

It's true they aren't free

It is not true they do not tell you in advance

They will walk up and ask you if you would like a welcome drink. If you say yes they will ask you for your card to charge your account. I suppose they don't open with "Would you like a $9.00 drink" but it's not like they let you drink it and then charge you, nor do they try in any way to act like the drinks are free.

When the guy at the stadium says "Ice cold beer", I don't assume they are complimentary.

Edited by Domino D

I haven't been on a ship where I've seen the souvenir cups in quite some time. Mostly now they are just in a regular glass. I suppose it can still depend on the ship.

There are waiters on embarkation day on the Lido deck, where you are instructed to go straight away to have your lunch. These drink waiters are carrying around "fun ship special" drinks on their trays and will come around as you are eating your lunch and will ask if you would like one. They are not advertised in any way as free. In fact, some of the waiters will have a card standing on their trays also that advertises "drink of the day - Fun Ship Special" and the cost.

Carnival has a drink of the day every day on Lido, but they are certainly not free.

I have heard of Christmas and New Years' week Carnival cruises where you are handed a glass of champagne at no charge, but this is only what I've heard, not experienced myself. Not sure if it is even still happening.

If the drink comes in a regular glass though, yes it would be included in the drink package.

Have fun on your cruise.

Edited by funinthesun1964

I haven't been on a ship where I've seen the souvenir cups in quite some time. Mostly now they are just in a regular glass. I suppose it can still depend on the ship.

There are waiters on embarkation day on the Lido deck, where you are instructed to go straight away to have your lunch. These drink waiters are carrying around "fun ship special" drinks on their trays and will come around as you are eating your lunch and will ask if you would like one. They are not advertised in any way as free. In fact, some of the waiters will have a card standing on their trays also that advertises "drink of the day - Fun Ship Special" and the cost.

Carnival has a drink of the day every day on Lido, but they are certainly not free.

I have heard of Christmas and New Years' week Carnival cruises where you are handed a glass of champagne at no charge, but this is only what I've heard, not experienced myself. Not sure if it is even still happening.

If the drink comes in a regular glass though, yes it would be included in the drink package.

Have fun on your cruise.

It is true that they give champagne (free) when you board on NYE cruises and also on NYE itself. Highly recommend going on a NYE cruise,

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It is true that they give champagne (free) when you board on NYE cruises and also on NYE itself. Highly recommend going on a NYE cruise,

The cruise listed as a NYE which is two weeks before NYE on December 16th: Carnival Pride 12/16 (7 day New Years Eve Cruise) will there be free welcoming champagne on December 16th as well or no?

Correct, you are charged tax on drinks until open waters.

I'm not sure you should be on a truly "free" drink. If you are using Cheers or one of the other packages, then you are purchasing a drink, and the package does not include tax. Therefore you would have to pay tax while in US waters because you are "purchasing" a drink. There is no tax on a truly free drink. Otherwise chains like Embassy Suites would have to charge you a per drink tax.

The cruise listed as a NYE which is two weeks before NYE on December 16th: Carnival Pride 12/16 (7 day New Years Eve Cruise) will there be free welcoming champagne on December 16th as well or no?

I am not sure, can only speak for NYE cruises. If it was listed that that way I would guess yes

Sent from my iPhone

I'm not sure you should be on a truly "free" drink. If you are using Cheers or one of the other packages, then you are purchasing a drink, and the package does not include tax. Therefore you would have to pay tax while in US waters because you are "purchasing" a drink. There is no tax on a truly free drink. Otherwise chains like Embassy Suites would have to charge you a per drink tax.

You are charged tax on drinks even if you have the Cheers package. These drinks are not free; but rather pre-paid.

Yes, I agree with you that you would not be charged tax on a FREE drink.

Number one nothing is free on a CCL cruise, however I've found the welcome drinks are pretty strong I guess that is done to get passengers fired up but drinks on other days seen to be weaker and I have complained, if you are paying 10 dollars plus for a drink it should have a kick.

Gary

Way way way back in the day, Carnival had a "welcome aboard rum swizzle party," where they were free. NOT during embarkation however.

Yes, at the Captain's Welcome Reception in the evening which was a photo op to promote the selling of photos. I never tasted any rum in the swizzles but it was a fun night and I miss it. Thanks for the memory.

What would separate Carnival from any other cruise line in this regard? Actually, on NYE cruises you get free champagne when you board and on NYE (so while infrequent, there are free times). I have seen nothing different on the pours from day one to any other day....but that is just me.

Yes: You pay for the souvenir drinks. They are about $9. I haven't had one in about the last 20 or so cruises.

I did have a bunch of souvenir cups at one time. They were from various cruise lines. After a few years they went for 10 cents at a garage sale.

Take care,

Mike

So if you wait until on board to purchase cheers (with gift cards) will you be charged tax on that entire amount if still in port? Would negate the saving I would think.

Not if you do not consume any drinks while in port. If you do drink, you would owe tax on the drinks you consume.

Number one nothing is free on a CCL cruise, however I've found the welcome drinks are pretty strong I guess that is done to get passengers fired up but drinks on other days seen to be weaker and I have complained, if you are paying 10 dollars plus for a drink it should have a kick.

Gary

So would you prefer "Fare inclusive"?