Regal or Caribbean over Thanksgiving?

Mrs. Squirrel

Heading out for a cruise over Thanksgiving with my DS (12). Flights and hotel booked. Just watching several cruises now for any last minute deals.

Two of my favorites are the 7 night Regal on a western itinerary and the Caribbean on an 8 night to the ABC islands.

We have never sailed Princess. Any advice on which ship would be a better fit for us when price is equal?

I don't know enough about you to make a recommendation. Both ships will have lots of kids over Thanksgiving.

The Regal International Cafe has a gelato selection for a price. Caribbean has the IC, but no gelato. The other food items there are included in cruise fare, but the specialty coffees, specialty teas, and gelato have a fee.

The Caribbean's library is small compared to other Princess ships I've cruised. The balconies on Regal are reported to be smaller than other ships (no personal experience with this.) Western is available any time on a variety of lines. Availability of ABC may be more limited.

You can read ship descriptions of each at the Princess site.

Do you prefer traditional fixed seating dining or anytime dining? For a holiday cruise you may want to go with traditional as there will very likely be long waits for ATD on Thanksgiving night. But if you do go with ATD Regal certainly has more options throughout the evening which may work better for a 12 year old. Pretty sure the western itinerary will draw more families as well.

The cruise history in your signature has several mega-ships alongside older small-by-today's-standard ships. Caribbean Princess is right in between; if you were impressed by Divina and Epic and are looking for something close you definitely should choose Regal Princess.

Edited by fishywood

You can read ship descriptions of each at the Princess site.

I have read the descriptions of both ships, but of course, the website makes all their ships sound fabulous when we cruisers know that some are ships are better than others! ;)

You are right, the ABC islands is a unique itinerary. We've been to A & C multiple times, but never Bonaire. Plus 8 nights is always better than 7, but the fact that the Caribbean is going into drydock this winter and recently had a propulsion issue gives me pause.

Do you prefer traditional fixed seating dining or anytime dining?

The cruise history in your signature has several mega-ships alongside older small-by-today's-standard ships. Caribbean Princess is right in between; if you were impressed by Divina and Epic and are looking for something close you definitely should choose Regal Princess.

We do like ATD, so good point on that. You are right, we've cruised ships of all shapes and sizes and have never met a cruise we didn't like! Big ships are go, go, go while our cruises on smaller ships are more relaxed.

Normally itinerary is our number 1 deciding factor, but since this was a last minute decision, it's price.

You are in the same exact situation I was in last weekend! DH and I will be sailing over thanksgiving with DS, who is also 12. We ultimately booked the Caribbean Princess for what we felt was a better intinerary and the extra day. We have sailed on CB before, although the last time was over 5 years ago. In all honesty, I felt like the ship was just "ok" then and I am sure that it is showing its age even more. However, with that said, we still had a great time and I feel like we will do the same on this trip. While we do like Princess, DCL is always our cruise of choice, especially with DS- however we are getting priced out! For this reason I did consider the Regal since I felt it would have more to do, but when I talked to DS all he asked was is there MUTS, ping pong, a basketball hoop and a buffet- in his opinion is he doesn't need anything else! This sort of helped make my decision easier!

I was on the Caribbean in December, 2015. She was in fine shape at that time. As you noted, that was an itinerary choice.

The Regal is newer...but has a few features that some don't like. There is not a way to walk a lap around the ship on a single deck, no central staircase, and the small balconies are the general complaints.

You are in the same exact situation I was in last weekend! DH and I will be sailing over thanksgiving with DS, who is also 12. We ultimately booked the Caribbean Princess for what we felt was a better intinerary and the extra day.

First off, welcome to Cruise Critic! Thank you for this. Our thought process and your family's sound much the same. I didn't think Caribbean Princess had MUTS, so that helps. We are big movie fans. My DS has a present obsession with Jamaica, so he's pushing for that itinerary, but also sees how the ABC is unique, for the snorkeling. Plus, my absolute favorite just lay around beaches are in Aruba.

So you'd say the Caribbean is a small, older ship. I can do that. Dumpy tugboat I cannot do.

I was on the Caribbean in December' date=' 2015. She was in fine shape at that time. As you noted, that was an itinerary choice.

The Regal is newer...but has a few features that some don't like. There is not a way to walk a lap around the ship on a single deck, no central staircase, and the small balconies are the general complaints.[/quote']

Thank you for this. I personally don't like how the newer ship builds have abandoned the promenade and the central bank of elevators/stairs. This time, we were going cheap with an interior, but normally book balconies, and I've also noticed the trend toward postage stamp size balconies across all the lines. :(

Edited by Mrs. Squirrel

YWhile we do like Princess, DCL is always our cruise of choice, especially with DS- however we are getting priced out!

I thought this might have been our one chance at trying Disney by getting a 'deal' booking last minute. Not with interior cabins going for over $1900 a person!

I thought this might have been our one chance at trying Disney by getting a 'deal' booking last minute. Not with interior cabins going for over $1900 a person!

Holidays on DCL never have last minute deals. They are typically full up to a year ahead and any last minute cancelations are quickly snapped up at full price.

I have 30 cruises on DCL, but not in the last 2 years. We LOVE many things about Disney, but the recent price increases are just crazy. We've been on three other lines. Princess is the our top choice of those three.

Most recently, we spent 20 nights on Princess in Japan in an inside cabin.

My take--it has to be pretty bad to cause you to have a bad cruise. A Princess cruise won't be bad.

Let me throw another factor into the mix. I must eat gluten free for Celiac. :eek:

Do any Princess cruisers find a difference in how their allergies were handled based on the ships size or age?

I can't speak for Disney, but I do know there are lots of GF things available on Princess. If food is a major concern, I'd suggest Regal with its (reportedly) big buffet with lots of choices.

The way to address special diets, allergies, etc. is to contact the "Access office" by e-mail before your cruise. They will note your needs. After boarding, someone from the food and beverage department will meet with you briefly to confirm your needs. Based on that discussion, you and they will decide whether you can safely make selections from the menu/buffet or whether you will require special food preparation.

If special preparation is required, you will see the menu for the next day each evening and select what you'd like. They will then do it in a way that is safe for you. The buffet and the IC on the Caribbean had items labeled as gluten free.

Alfredo's on Regal has very good GF pizza, but you have to order a day in advance. When I was on the Caribbean Princess, I had not yet been diagnosed as celiac. On the Regal, you meet with the maitre'd the night before to pick the next day's dining room dinner. The buffet has a wide selection, and someone will come out and explain to you what is GF that day. I noticed they had a separate toaster for breakfast...all in all, they seem to be aware of cross contamination issues. You can also request GF pancakes in the dining room for breakfast. They will bring GF toast for room service breakfast. I did bring my own cereal...not sure if they have GF cereal. I have seen it on cruises, but I think that was in Europe/Australia/NZ.

Having been on both multiple times, I like the Caribbean better for the simple fact I do not like the pool set up on the Regal and Royal. We love the aft pool and really missed that on the Regal/Royal. I know they tried to put a little one in but it's no where near the same. I like that there is 2 separate main pools as well so if you do not want to get blasted out by MUTS you have another option.

Heading out for a cruise over Thanksgiving with my DS (12). Flights and hotel booked. Just watching several cruises now for any last minute deals.

Two of my favorites are the 7 night Regal on a western itinerary and the Caribbean on an 8 night to the ABC islands.

We have never sailed Princess. Any advice on which ship would be a better fit for us when price is equal?

Good luck finding bargains over Thanksgiving that meet your flight schedule.

We have sailed on both ships multiple times. The buffet on the Regal is really amazing, but the Caribbean Princess does have Cafe Caribe which is next to the regular Horizon Court buffet and when it is open they have a lot of really good options. Overall though the buffet is better on the Regal.

The Regal has Gelato, which, for a fee offers amazing sundaes and certain afternoons, offers crepes. If you purchase a coffee card, you can pay for gelato with a punch from your card. The Caribbean Princess does not have gelato at all.

The rooms have better lighting and are just all around "newer" on Regal. Also, the Regal has an amazing on demand interactive TV, with movies, etc. to choose from for no charge.

On any Princess ship we have sailed on the staff and crew have been attentive and when we traveled with a relative that has celiac disease, everyone has been more than helpful and accommodating, both in the main dining room and in the buffet.

All this being said, we booked the Caribbean Princess to go to the ABC islands. We LOVE that itinerary. Also, we love the Promenade deck going all the way around the ship and the layout of the pools.

Either ship, you can't go wrong. Let us know what you choose!

Good luck finding bargains over Thanksgiving that meet your flight schedule.

I am currently watching 10 cruises across 6 lines sailing over Thanksgiving and they are all on sale. Have a travel agent friend on Norwegian Escape right now who booked on a $299pp fare! There is a glut of Caribbean ships this fall and she thinks the fear of Zika is keeping some people away.

I was in the same position. Between Ft. Lauderdale and Miami there are a lot of options. I booked the Caribbean Princess because I've never been to the ABCs, and I also enjoy sea days. The extra day is nice too.

The Regal is a nicer ship, but I've been on her twice in the past 2 years.

I considered a couple of Holland America ships for that week. The price was right, but the itineraries were not the best (only because they were to islands I have been to many times ). I love Holland America because of the smaller size, the big, inviting libraries and the thermal suite that is not tucked away in a cave.

I also considered some Celebrity trips. Slightly more expensive, but prices may drop in the coming weeks.

I hope the Caribbean Princess has the same in-room movies that the Regal has. I never go to movies at home, so it is a treat for me to catch up on movies.

Good luck! I'm sure you will have great time. There is no bad decision.