haven restaurant or speciality?

Tudorcruisers

I keep hearing how good the food is in the HAven restaurant and would like to know do you still try the speciality restaurants or do you just stick to Haven if it's so good?? Thanks.

We have three night UDP for our Haven cruise and we have sailed Haven before. The other nights we will dine in Haven. In August we had the Dining package for all nigjts and still opted for Havem twice. If you dont have dining package, but I think you get that with Haven, I would do most nigjts in Havem and a few in specialties just for a change.

But to answer your question, I think the food as well as the service and atmosphere is just as good as any specialty.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by js

When we were on the Getaway we liked the Haven restaurant so much we never ate in a specialty restaurant. The service, food and ambiance was very good, in fact better than some specialty restaurants we have experienced on past sailings.

I've eaten in the Haven restaurant only one (as a guest of a Haven passenger) and thoroughly enjoyed the food. It was very good. If I were to book the Haven and have the 3-night SDP, I'd use the package throughout the week and eat in the Haven the rest of the time. But, again, I've eaten there only once so take it with a grain...

Why not both? At breakfast we would ask our waiter what the dinner specials in the Haven were for that night. We'd then decided where to do dinner. If we picked a specialty restaurant then we'd stop by the concierge desk and make our reservations, easy.

The Havens usually has a fixed menu. The challenge is to get through the menu on one cruise.

We were on the Escape in May and actually gave up our platinum free dinners and ate in the Havens restaurant instead. Much better food.

The BA Haven restaurant in June was great - the service and the food were both excellent. We traditionally eat in La Cucina the first night, 2 other specialty restaurants in the middle and Cagneys the last night. We skipped Cagneys and ate in the Haven because we found the steak and lobster (which may or may not be available on your sailing based on recent posts) in the Haven to be as good as Cagneys.

We have 3SDP meals on our next cruise -- if the food in the Escape Haven is as good as we experienced in June, we will eat most dinners in the Haven and use our SDP for Bayamo, which I really enjoyed, my mom did not, and the other two for lunch.

Look at the Haven menu, you could, if you are willing to try each entree, eat something different each night without repeating an entree

Enjoy your cruise!

I think it depends on the ship....just off the EPIC and while the food was good, the menu never changed so very limited and the service at dinner was HORRIBLE. We left many times after 2 1/2 hrs before they even cleared our plates (before menus for dessert or coffee).......We went to specialty restaurants and were finished with the entire meal with dessert and coffee in 2 hours. If you don't mind sitting for 3-4 hrs and having repeat meals you were good in the haven

I thought I read somewhere that you can order from the speciality restaurants either in cabin or in the Haven restaurant. Fact or fiction?

On the EPIC a couple weeks ago they were not interested in doing that for us for dinner.....for Breakfast we asked for some small items like oatmeal that were not on haven breakfast menu and that was not a problem for them.

I thought I read somewhere that you can order from the speciality restaurants either in cabin or in the Haven restaurant. Fact or fiction?

You can have food from any restaurant delivered to your Suite by your butler. Your butler will deliver the food and serve it all at once or by course. (The food will be brought up at the same time and left in the butler's pantry,,,, so might as well take it all at once). You will be charged for meals from Specialty restaurants.

You could at least use your Platinum Dinner vouchers for the bottle of wine to enjoy on your Haven Balcony. :)

gary

Can you use the voucher for just a bottle of wine and skip the meal?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

My PCC said fact. Others have reported (in this very thread even) that sometimes you get pushback. It probably depends on who is working the restaurant.

I've heard that if you plan in advance you have better luck. Like in the morning, tell the Haven restaurant manager that you'd like to have something from Le Bistro for dinner in the Haven restaurant. They might be more receptive to that than just showing up at dinner and asking for something from another part of the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My PCC said fact. Others have reported (in this very thread even) that sometimes you get pushback. It probably depends on who is working the restaurant.

I've heard that if you plan in advance you have better luck. Like in the morning, tell the Haven restaurant manager that you'd like to have something from Le Bistro for dinner in the Haven restaurant. They might be more receptive to that than just showing up at dinner and asking for something from another part of the ship.

You degrade the service for everyone else in the restaurant if you take people off the floor to go and run for food across the ship.

Can it be done? Maybe.

Should it be done? NEVER.

If you don't want to go to the bistro, have your butler bring it to your room.

We get the 4 night dining as part of our promos. We eat at the Haven for dinner on the other nights.

The Japanese steakhouse has HORRIBLE desserts so on that night, we go back to The Haven for just dessert.

Service on the GA Haven restaurant is not slow like another poster said about another ship. Can eat pretty quickly.

You degrade the service for everyone else in the restaurant if you take people off the floor to go and run for food across the ship.

Can it be done? Maybe.

Should it be done? NEVER.

If you don't want to go to the bistro, have your butler bring it to your room.

I understand where you're coming from but I stop short of "Never". This is a service advertised by NCL and as such is something they feel they can accommodate without impacting service.

Your reasoning could extend to asking for dietary accommodations, special orders, or even taking a little extra time to chat with your server.

If you contact the staff early in the day, they can prepare your request without unduly interfering with anyone else's service.

If your party can't agree on a specialty, I think this would be a fun thing to try once, where you can each have your favorite dish and still eat together.