Reassigning Specialty Dining Package

beachbell

It's not a typo: The number of meals is limited, but at each meal, the number of apps, sides, and desserts is unlimited. So there are two different types of "sharing". One is you don't go to the restaurant and someone else uses one of your SDP meals in your place. The other is you go to the restaurant and have your meal covered by the SDP, and in addition to that, you order extra food for other people at the table so that parts of their meal are covered by your SDP, too.

Appetizers and deserts are also limited. They are limited to what the SDP holder can eat at that meal, not to include what other people at the table can eat or what they can carry back to their room for later. I really can't see any difference between sharing the "unlimited" part of the SDP and the "unlimited" UBP. Quotes on both because the UBP is also limited to how much alcohol the UBP holder's body, not their friends' bodies, can handle before s/he dies. Hopefully the bartenders won't let it go that far.

My objection was not to OP's case specifically, but to the other comments encouraging sharing the SDP, as it's fairly easy to do. As to the OP's dilemma I cannot see that it will be that much trouble to purchase three meal SDP's for the kids and use their SDP's at the a'la carte restaurants. Then just pay covers, or a' la carte if necessary, for two more meals for the adults. The cost difference between this and what the OP wants is so small I cannot understand why it's even a problem, especially when you look at their overall costs.

The package we booked comes with the UBP and the 3 SDP for the first 2 passengers (my DH and I). My question is, I want to purchase a 5 SDP package for hubby and I. Can I transfer the included 3 SDP to my older 2 kids?

When it comes to SDP, does it really matter who it belongs to in the cabin? I understand it's non-transferable, but since they only ask for one room key, do they really check who has it?

Sorry, I cannot accept this. That is no different than using your UBP to buy drinks for other non-UBP passengers in your cabin.

My objection was not to OP's case specifically, but to the other comments encouraging sharing the SDP, as it's fairly easy to do.

Hey Até - Just to be clear, my post above that you "couldn't accept" was not suggesting sharing a single SDP meal among multiple people. I was responding to the OP's question about purchasing a 5SDP in addition to their 3SDP, and then having the two adults utilize 5 meals while the 2 kids utilize 3 meals. I don't think they'd run into an issue with this, as the venues collect a room key and subtract the meals from the SDP.

I agree with you, but I don't think the poster you initially reacted to (TheDougOut) was referring to this kind of sharing.

I actually agree as well. I see no difference between sharing a single SDP meal or a single UBP among multiple people.

Having said that, I've been guilty of both, but only after expressing my intent to the servers. I've walked up to a bar and asked for two drinks - one for me (UBP holder) and a non-alcoholic version for my daughter (soda package), asking them to charge my card for the 2nd. It's rare that they will, and I'll usually just leave a few extra singles to cover my conscience.

At Cagney's, I remember a time when I ordered a regular side (damn kids that like vegetables) to go along with a kid's meal, asking them to just charge it separately. I didn't really expect them to, and they didn't. But I gladly would have paid for it. Again - just left a larger tip.

I know they will allow this on board for the wifi, get 100 minutes free and the cost is put towards the upgrade to unlimited or the 250 minute package.

This is interesting..... I have had the WiFi promo and was told by the Internet Manager that it "has no cash value thus cannot be used to upgrade to a bigger package" and it's right in the general T&Cs for all promos:

- Guest cannot substitute or customize this offer. All guests in stateroom must choose same offer.

- No components included in this offer have any monetary value, are non-refundable and non-transferable.

I agree with you, but I don't think the poster you initially reacted to (TheDougOut) was referring to this kind of sharing.

I understand the distinction that you and TheDougOut are making. Once you suggest skirting part of the rules it is easy to just ignore them. The problem I saw was the cascade it started in the subsequent posts by you and posts #15 & #16. Perhaps I shouldn't have quoted TheDougOut, but that is where I felt the idea was started, even though the others ran with it.

Beachbell, I had a minute to do the math. The difference between buying your kids a 3 meal SDP and 5 meal SDP is $30, so you are getting those two extra meals for $30. So close to worst case, saying you pay cover for Moderno $25 and Tepannyaki $30 will cost you $55 So the 5 meal package will save you $25, $50 for the two of you. If you plan to eat less than the cost of these covers at an a' la carte then use the SDP at the cover restaurant and pay the a' la carte prices and the additional cost would be even less than the $50.

Buying the 5 meal SDP for the kids with the plan that you can use their extra two meals will at some point force you to use your kids cards for your meals at a restaurant. Is it morally wrong, who knows. Would you get away with it, probably. Is it against the rules, yes. Compared to what you have already invested in the cruise I don't feel the possible savings outweigh the possible outcomes if staff decide to enforce the rules. That said, suite guests can get away with a lot.

Edited by Até

Adults switching cards with each other to share packages is one thing, but the staff will notice immediately if you try to pass off a child's card as your own.

I also think that the OP has a good chance of getting what they want, as Haven guests, if they talk to the right person in the right way on board. (E.g. ask the concierge to put them in touch with the restaurant manager.) If they are successful, they won't have to do anything sneaky or underhanded every time they go for a specialty meal.

Adults switching cards with each other to share packages is one thing, but the staff will notice immediately if you try to pass off a child's card as your own.

The NCL Specialty Dining Squad is always watching. ALWAYS WATCHING. Every meal is tracked and cross-referenced using facial recognition software in the security cameras. I have witnessed on many occasions where these crew members clad in black uniforms have swooped in on diners trying to pass themselves off as someone else and taken them to the brig for the remainder of the cruise.

It's just not worth it.

The NCL Specialty Dining Squad is always watching. ALWAYS WATCHING. Every meal is tracked and cross-referenced using facial recognition software in the security cameras. I have witnessed on many occasions where these crew members clad in black uniforms have swooped in on diners trying to pass themselves off as someone else and taken them to the brig for the remainder of the cruise.

It's just not worth it.

Too funny!:D

THAT'S where it went!!

Edit: any good beers on tap?

You would ask that! :D

I think that speaking to the concierge once on board is the way to go. S/he should be able to facilitate the request and either get it handled or how it needs to happen in order to work out.

Edited by cml4958

This is interesting..... I have had the WiFi promo and was told by the Internet Manager that it "has no cash value thus cannot be used to upgrade to a bigger package" and it's right in the general T&Cs for all promos:

- Guest cannot substitute or customize this offer. All guests in stateroom must choose same offer.

- No components included in this offer have any monetary value, are non-refundable and non-transferable.

They've done it for me onboard. Perhaps in error, but I asked and received.