Dummy Cards for the Power-saving Card Slots

stickey_mouse

The newer ships have card slots near the cabin doors, which basically shuts off the electricity to the rooms anytime your room key is removed (when you are gone, to save electricity). I've read that you can put a faux card in to keep the AC going or charge a phone. Can it be any type of card, such as a business card?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The newer ships have card slots near the cabin doors, which basically shuts off the electricity to the rooms anytime your room key is removed (when you are gone, to save electricity). I've read that you can put a faux card in to keep the AC going or charge a phone. Can it be any type of card, such as a business card?

Anything that is the same size/stiffness as your keycard would work. I don't know if a business card would be stiff enough. I used a grocery store club card.

It can be just about anything. All it is doing is pushing some sort of switch.

We use any old card that we may have to hand. Most common is an old supermarket loyalty card.

A business card would do just fine, the only restriction is really that it must be big enough to be able to get out and sturdy mouth that it will push the switch.

Edited by KeithJenner

It is important that you tell your room Steward to not remove the card, It isnt a big deal for them to remove it when they leave the rooms. I have also put a few magnetic dots on the back so when I dont need it, I just put it on the wall (most of the ships wall are magnetic except in the Haven ) this includes the doors

when I say they remove the card they just pull it up so it turns off the lights (I guess you can do the same thing without the magnetic dots LOL )

Edited by Diane123boys

I've read on a similar thread that the card does NOT affect the A/C. :)

We just got back a few weeks ago from a cruise on the MSC Divina. They used a switch also that you placed your room key in it when you were in your cabin. When you put a card in the switch a small orange light outside your door turned on. That is how they knew if you were inside your cabin or not. If you left a card in there your cabin did not get made up.

. I have also put a few magnetic dots on the back so when I dont need it, I just put it on the wall (most of the ships wall are magnetic except in the Haven ) this includes the doors

in all my haven threads ive never seen anyone post that the walls and doors arent magnetic. i'm assuming you mean haven proper and not the spa haven rooms that ill be in

so why arent haven rooms magnetic?