Princess vs Holland America

oceanlover1210

Other than the smoking policy, any other considerations between these two? Planning a cruise and maybe a land in August 2017.

Thanks so much.

NEW SMOKING POLICY

Holland America Line will implement a new smoking policy beginning in January 2017. No smoking of any kind will be permitted on any stateroom verandah. Smoking of cigarettes, cigars and pipes is already not permitted in any stateroom. We are announcing this new policy to better align with guest wishes and health concerns.

http://f.e.hollandamerica.com/i/41/1...ing_Policy.pdf

Here are a few things I experienced on Princess ships that I thought were better than HAL.

More no charge dining venues open longer hours.

Reasonably priced specialty restaurants.

The CD has more staff and operates more daytime and evening activities.

Better live bands, playing various types of music from rock, big band, classical, soft ballroom, jazz. Can be 3 or 4 on the same ship plus background piano and/or guitar players.

Larger Piano bar area, Crooner's.

Better production shows, although most Princess shows are not great. A few exceptions are Magic to Do and some of the new shows on the Royal and Regal.

Overall HAL felt less lively in the evening, as well as more structured.

I'm not finding much of this thread reassuring. I've cruised on 8 different cruise lines...but have, thus far, avoided HAL...mostly due to that elderly demographic/shut down at night reputation.

My sister has been on two HAL cruises and says she's not going back...

But, my sister-in-law and brother-in-law wanted to do a Canada/New England cruise next July and didn't like our first choice of the longer Oceania option, so, we booked HAL Maasdam with them....

First thing we discovered is they don't really have balcony cabins on this ship...They've got a limited number of suites with balconies--at exorbitant prices...and they have something called "Lanai" cabins--with doors out that open to a public area...so people can walk right by your window...no privacy...and you really don't have outside space you own. So we just booked an OV cabin...at what seems like balcony prices...

Now I'm also worried about eating at 5:30 and being bored from 7:00 pm on...

But, maybe we'll just watch the scooter races on the promenade?!? ;)

I prefer Princess as the ship entertainment does not stop like HALs 10pm bedtime scooter parade. However the Lanai cabins on HAL are my favorite as they come with a reserved lounger on the Promenade deck. Little privacy issue with one way glass and this nifty invention called curtains

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry but this just not true!

early dinner is 5:15 pm, 5:30 pm, or 6:00 pm (depends upon itinerary)

late dinner is 7:30 pm or 8:00 pm (again depends upon itinerary)

midnight buffet is non-existent, but then it's non-existent on Princess also. However the buffet on Princess stays open later in the evening than it does on HAL.

This was satirical.

I'm not finding much of this thread reassuring. I've cruised on 8 different cruise lines...but have, thus far, avoided HAL...mostly due to that elderly demographic/shut down at night reputation.

My sister has been on two HAL cruises and says she's not going back...

But, my sister-in-law and brother-in-law wanted to do a Canada/New England cruise next July and didn't like our first choice of the longer Oceania option, so, we booked HAL Maasdam with them....

First thing we discovered is they don't really have balcony cabins on this ship...They've got a limited number of suites with balconies--at exorbitant prices...and they have something called "Lanai" cabins--with doors out that open to a public area...so people can walk right by your window...no privacy...and you really don't have outside space you own. So we just booked an OV cabin...at what seems like balcony prices...

Now I'm also worried about eating at 5:30 and being bored from 7:00 pm on...

But, maybe we'll just watch the scooter races on the promenade?!? ;)

You can actually eat up until about 8:30 in the MDR...although the Lido buffet does close (for the night) around 8. As to scooter races, most of the scooter drivers on HAL are in bed too early to race. But we do recall a scooter parade (absolutely true) in the MDR on one of our Celebrity cruises. There were literally dozens of scooters on that cruise...and during dinner, the waiters would drive (in a parade line) around the dining room in the passenger's scooters (of course they did get permission from the passengers). It was truly funny and many diners would clap and wave their napkins.

Hank

Any cruise to Alaska would be a good cruise, but....I prefer Princess. My last balcony on HAL was a bit small compared to Princess. The most important difference to me was the dining venues on HAL were more limited. I was in line for a burger, about the third person from placing an order when.......It was 4:00 and they closed, yup shut down even though I had been in line for about 5 minutes. The grill guy just said"We're closed" and did! That clinched it for me. Princess wins hands down. Other than that one incident, every other staff I encountered was great for that cruise.

On Princess, you are likely to meet a very nice group of people with an average age in the 40-60 age group.

On HAL, you are likely to meet a very nice group of people with an average age in the 40-60 age group.......and their parents.

We went to Alaska with HAL in 2014 and with Princess this year, both round trip Seattle, both included Glacier Bay. The other ports were the same, except for Sitka vs Skagway. The biggest differences I noticed were that on Princess it was easier to get something to eat, regardless of what time you were getting on or off the ship, and Princess had more Alaska related special guests on board. Both were very nice cruises.

We went to Alaska with HAL in 2014 and with Princess this year, both round trip Seattle, both included Glacier Bay. The other ports were the same, except for Sitka vs Skagway. The biggest differences I noticed were that on Princess it was easier to get something to eat, regardless of what time you were getting on or off the ship, and Princess had more Alaska related special guests on board. Both were very nice cruises.

Very true. We cruise both lines (about 500 days on HAL and 250 on Princess) and HAL does really limit their food serving hours (in the Lido and other venues) when compared to Princess and many other mass market lines. However, HAL's answer would be that you can order room service 24 hours a day. Trying to get a snack on many HAL ships after 8pm can be a challenge unless you are willing to wait for room service (with a limited menu).

Hank

Very true. We cruise both lines (about 500 days on HAL and 250 on Princess) and HAL does really limit their food serving hours (in the Lido and other venues) when compared to Princess and many other mass market lines. However, HAL's answer would be that you can order room service 24 hours a day. Trying to get a snack on many HAL ships after 8pm can be a challenge unless you are willing to wait for room service (with a limited menu). HAL usually shuts down their breakfast lines by 10:30am...and if you sleep too late...you will have to wait until lunch...or order room service (which you might get by lunch time).

Hank

NEW SMOKING POLICY

Holland America Line will implement a new smoking policy beginning in January 2017. No smoking of any kind will be permitted on any stateroom verandah. Smoking of cigarettes, cigars and pipes is already not permitted in any stateroom. We are announcing this new policy to better align with guest wishes and health concerns.

http://f.e.hollandamerica.com/i/41/1...ing_Policy.pdf

Wow. I was wondering how much longer it would be till HAL caught up to Princess with the non smoking balconies.

Now Princess had to catch up with HAL with their relaxed dress code. :D

Just returned from sailing the recenty updated Oosterdam - (12-day)Adriatic Dream.

Perhaps the demographics are changing on HAL, but on our sailing we observed no noticeable difference in the average age on board compared to the Princess ships that we've sailed(w/ similar length itineraries). Maybe one or two walkers(that I witnessed), and I can't recall seeing any scooters.

Being a port-intensive cruise, the DW and I (average age late 30s) found ourselves pretty wiped out after extensive days in port and struggling to want to stay up past 11:00p most nights anyways.

There were plenty of people dancing it up in the BB King Blues club well into the night. The well attended shows in the theater were entertaining -- especially the world-class juggler -- who had us laughing in stitches.

As for food, the MDR was pretty much on par with Princess, but we found that the selections and times available in the buffet were much more limited on HAL. The Dive-In Burger and Taco-Bar stations were tasty casual options for lunch, but both closed at 5:30p, so they were only viable during our one sea-day and/or shorter days in port. Of note, the cooked-to-order burgers and condiments on HAL are way ahead of what Princess offers at the Trident. Can't speak on HAL's pizza as it didn't look very good, so we didn't try it.

Perhaps expectations were higher(due to the $39 pp cover charge) but we found our meal in the Pinnacle Grill a little underwhelming and not as satisfying as most of the meals that we've enjoyed in the Crown/Sterling grill(s). Caneletto(the Italian speciality restaurant @$15 pp) was also so-so and not really worth the upcharge IMHO. Sabatini's wins here too.

One complaint about HAL was that there was only one station on the entire ship to get speciality coffees(all the way forward in the Exploration Cafe in the Crow's Nest). Opening @7a and with only one server working there, this often created a log-jam and longer wait for speciality coffees on days when people were anxious to get off early in port. HAL needs to figure this out.

We did find our obstructed ocean view(floor to ceiling window) much nicer than anything on any Princess ship(comparable cabin) that we've sailed. There was a larger flat-screen tv w/ On-Demand(4x times the size of Princess), a sofa-couch, chair and table(which was nice for room-service), and the bathroom had a tub - making the shower 3x times the size of Princess. The bed was much more comfortable than most of those experienced on previous Princess sailings. However, we have sailed with the newer beds on Ruby Princess(which are comparable) a few months back.

Our room steward(and asst.) were great, always smiling and genuinely helpful and friendly in greeting us by name whenever we crossed paths. Our fellow passengers were well-heeled and travelled, and we made connections with some very nice people as well as having interesting conversations etc. on board.

All-in-all we enjoyed our experience and will consider sailing HAL again - Especially for more unique itineraries that Princess may not offer.

I would be happy to answer any questions comparing our experiences on both lines.

Edited by Skai

Overall, I like Princess a bit better- though the Pinnacle Grille is way better than the Crown- in my opinion.

I agree with you on the Pinnacle Grill. Much nicer atmosphere and better quality food and service.

Most of HAL's ships have very nice Thermal suites. Only a few Princess ships have them.

I enjoy both lines but if HAL cruised more on the west coast I would cruise with them more often.

Smoking on the balconies, for me, is also problematic.

Great comparisons and we agree with them.

Simply put - think quality vs quantity...

HAL has less to do and less options for dining but what they do offer is a bit more refined and slightly higher quality.

But you generally pay a bit more for what you get as well . . . as is usually the the case with most things.

Just returned from sailing the recenty updated Oosterdam - (12-day)Adriatic Dream.

Perhaps the demographics are changing on HAL, but on our sailing we observed no noticeable difference in the average age on board compared to the Princess ships that we've sailed(w/ similar length itineraries). Maybe one or two walkers(that I witnessed), and I can't recall seeing any scooters.

Being a port-intensive cruise, the DW and I (average age late 30s) found ourselves pretty wiped out after extensive days in port and struggling to want to stay up past 11:00p most nights anyways.

There were plenty of people dancing it up in the BB King Blues club well into the night. The well attended shows in the theater were entertaining -- especially the world-class juggler -- who had us laughing in stitches.

As for food, the MDR was pretty much on par with Princess, but we found that the selections and times available in the buffet were much more limited on HAL. The Dive-In Burger and Taco-Bar stations were tasty casual options for lunch, but both closed at 5:30p, so they were only viable during our one sea-day and/or shorter days in port. Of note, the cooked-to-order burgers and condiments on HAL are way ahead of what Princess offers at the Trident. Can't speak on HAL's pizza as it didn't look very good, so we didn't try it.

Perhaps expectations were higher(due to the $39 pp cover charge) but we found our meal in the Pinnacle Grill a little underwhelming and not as satisfying as most of the meals that we've enjoyed in the Crown/Sterling grill(s). Caneletto(the Italian speciality restaurant @$15 pp) was also so-so and not really worth the upcharge IMHO. Sabatini's wins here too.

One complaint about HAL was that there was only one station on the entire ship to get speciality coffees(all the way forward in the Exploration Cafe in the Crow's Nest). Opening @7a and with only one server working there, this often created a log-jam and longer wait for speciality coffees on days when people were anxious to get off early in port. HAL needs to figure this out.

We did find our obstructed ocean view(floor to ceiling window) much nicer than anything on any Princess ship(comparable cabin) that we've sailed. There was a larger flat-screen tv w/ On-Demand(4x times the size of Princess), a sofa-couch, chair and table(which was nice for room-service), and the bathroom had a tub - making the shower 3x times the size of Princess. The bed was much more comfortable than most of those experienced on previous Princess sailings. However, we have sailed with the newer beds on Ruby Princess(which are comparable) a few months back.

Our room steward(and asst.) were great, always smiling and genuinely helpful and friendly in greeting us by name whenever we crossed paths. Our fellow passengers were well-heeled and travelled, and we made connections with some very nice people as well as having interesting conversations etc. on board.

All-in-all we enjoyed our experience and will consider sailing HAL again - Especially for more unique itineraries that Princess may not offer.

I would be happy to answer any questions comparing our experiences on both lines.

Interesting. On the Zuiderdam, the BB King shows were at 8:15, 9:15 and 10:15. The last show ended around 11...as did nearly everyone in the room! On many nights the piano bar also ended around 11:30 or a bit after. Now perhaps you think that 11pm is "well into the night." But we have been on other cruise lines (including Princess) when it was SRO for adult comedy shows after 11:30! HAL does not even have adult comedy shows...because few of their adults would be awake.

We should add that we do still like HAL...but except that we will close the piano bar before midnight...and go to bed. What you call "well into the night" would be the nightlife from about midnight until 2am....and that does not exist on HAL.

Hank

Interesting. On the Zuiderdam, the BB King shows were at 8:15, 9:15 and 10:15. The last show ended around 11...as did nearly everyone in the room! On many nights the piano bar also ended around 11:30 or a bit after. Now perhaps you think that 11pm is "well into the night." But we have been on other cruise lines (including Princess) when it was SRO for adult comedy shows after 11:30! HAL does not even have adult comedy shows...because few of their adults would be awake.

We should add that we do still like HAL...but except that we will close the piano bar before midnight...and go to bed. What you call "well into the night" would be the nightlife from about midnight until 2am....and that does not exist on HAL.

Hank

Hmmm....

Most of the Princess ships I have been on have been pretty dead around and especially after midnight, short of a handful of revelers in Skywalkers trying to keep the party going and a handful of off-hours crew socializing therein.

Even on nights on Princess ships when there are deck parties etc., it's pretty thinned out by that hour as well. Many of the open 'until closing' bars are often announcing last call at (or not much later than) midnight.

Perhaps my experience on Princess has been due to primarily sailing 10+ day sailings as opposed to 7-day(or less) which may appeal to more of a younger partying crowd. I wouldn't put Princess in competition for the 'best late night scene' in comparison with other mainstream cruiselines that may also appeal to a younger and/or more partying type of crowd.

That stated, your observations above seem to contradict the others ITT claiming about HAL:

"everybody was in bed by 8:30 or soon after dinner"

"Nobody awake on HAL after ten pm."

"The activities tend to end rather early in the evening on Holland"

and those with concerns about...

"being bored from 7:00 pm on..."

Of course I can only base my personal experiences on sailing only once on a HAL ship and a handful of times on Princess. However, my preconceptions that sailing on HAL would be akin to a hospice facility due to all the hyperbole that I've read about on CC proved to be quite unfounded. In fact, I've sailed on Princess ships where the average age on board was much older and the walkers/scooters per capita were greater in comparison.

Also, being a port-heavy itinerary (w/ only one sea-day), the amount of onboard activities provided on our recent HAL sailing was of little concern for us. Yet, I could see how that might be more of a consideration for an itinerary with lots of sea-days. Having the option to catch a 10p show worked quite fine for us, as we are usually among the first off and the last aboard during most days in port.

Hmmm....

Most of the Princess ships I have been on have been pretty dead around and especially after midnight, short of a handful of revelers in Skywalkers trying to keep the party going and a handful of off-hours crew socializing therein.

Even on nights on Princess ships when there are deck parties etc., it's pretty thinned out by that hour as well. Many of the open 'until closing' bars are often announcing last call at (or not much later than) midnight.

Perhaps my experience on Princess has been due to primarily sailing 10+ day sailings as opposed to 7-day(or less) which may appeal to more of a younger partying crowd. I wouldn't put Princess in competition for the 'best late night scene' in comparison with other mainstream cruiselines that may also appeal to a younger and/or more partying type of crowd.

That stated, your observations above seem to contradict the others ITT claiming about HAL:

"everybody was in bed by 8:30 or soon after dinner"

"Nobody awake on HAL after ten pm."

"The activities tend to end rather early in the evening on Holland"

and those with concerns about...

"being bored from 7:00 pm on..."

Of course I can only base my personal experiences on sailing only once on a HAL ship and a handful of times on Princess. However, my preconceptions that sailing on HAL would be akin to a hospice facility due to all the hyperbole that I've read about on CC proved to be quite unfounded. In fact, I've sailed on Princess ships where the average age on board was much older and the walkers/scooters per capita were greater in comparison.

Also, being a port-heavy itinerary (w/ only one sea-day), the amount of onboard activities provided on our recent HAL sailing was of little concern for us. Yet, I could see how that might be more of a consideration for an itinerary with lots of sea-days. Having the option to catch a 10p show worked quite fine for us, as we are usually among the first off and the last aboard during most days in port.

My experiences with HAL are very similar. I also feel the "aged" community on HAL is unfounded. In fact I was very surprised on my first Princess ship how many scooters and walkers I encountered. I even said to my husband there must be a convention for those who are restricted to that mode of travel. I truly do not want to be rude but I felt like I was going to be run over several times with some who were quite aggressive. This was on Princess, our very first Princess cruise. I never felt that way again on either Princess or HAL but just that one cruise. My point is, one should not judge an entire cruise line by only giving it one try.

Unless you have a mini-suite or suite, I prefer HAL's cabins as they are generally larger and have a sofa which makes enjoying room service (with a more extensive menu than Princess) so much easier.

Now that HAL has announced a new Non-smoking cabin/balcony ship, we will begin looking to book a future cruise.

As has been said it does depend on the cruise ships and not just the company.

We had a very poor HA cruise just before Christmas one year. The food was almost inedible and that was found for the whole table of 10.

The service was poor The steward just did his job and nothing more no ice unless asked serveral tiomes

No daytime entertainment and the evening theatre was sooooooonoisy

We were told however by others on the cruise who were HAL lovers thsat this was not a good HAL cruise and not to use it as comparison but that was what we found

Oosterdamn:(

PS we get towel animals on Princess