A few brief tips for Barcelona!

Manbo

1. the ground floor of a building is "0", not 1. so what we would call the second floor is 1, and so on...

2. Fixed price for taxi from the airport to the pier is 39 Euros.

3. The taxis take credit cards.

3. Almost everyone that works with the public speaks English.

Have question. Any good places to eat near the Royal Caribbean terminal

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No, the terminal is a walk from any restaurants or shops, etc. either purchase Royal's shuttle or take a taxi to Placa Catalunya on La Rambla where you can walk back down toward the pier and you'll find several cafes on the esplanade. A taxi shouldn't cost too much as one to Sagrada Familia was €10 two weeks ago and that's a further distance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you are going from the port to Placa Catalunya and looking for tapas, go just a bit further, ask them to take you to Cervecería Catalana https://www.facebook.com/Cervecer%C3%ADa-Catalana-539478542770052/

really excellent food, and a great staff, friendly and helpful. You may have a wait for a table, if you are not wanting to wait there are barstools that you can get to faster.

Really excellent!

We also ate dinner at one of the most famous places for Paella in Barcelona, 7 portes https://www.facebook.com/7portes/ , which is even closer to the port. If you are having an early meal (5-5:30 is early there) you should not need a reservation, but it is otherwise a very busy place most days I understand. Upscale, a little pricey for Barcelona but not extravagant, get the canneloni with truffles as an appetizer, they were fantastic!

We ate at both of these restaurants this week. Great meals!

Just commenting to @jimneda's post that Barcelona is always busy, there's no high or low season, and for certain sites (ie. Sagrada Família, FCB Camp Nou, Park Güell, etc.) pre-booking your ticket is necessary. Period. Otherwise, you risk not being able to see the site that day. Some do work on a time-based scheme by which your ticket has a short window of time (between 15 and 30') in which you must enter the premises -then of course you can stay inside as long as you want. You choose that time-band when purchasing the ticket. Thus, if the time-bands for that day are sold out -and it does happen often!- you simply can't visit on that day.

Edited by EnricM

We are visiting Barcelona mid October. Don t really want to purchase Camp Nou tickets in advance incase the ship can t dock , we change our minds etc. Will we definitely be able to get a ticket on the day and if so are there likely to be queues?

.. I believe I already mentioned it... no, not necessarily and yes, there *can* be queues. Barcelona is an all year round destination. If you were to visit Jun-Sep there are always queues in the most popular sites, but the rest of the year there might be too, depending on a lot of factors (ie. other major events, bank-holidays, simultaneous cruisers/bus tours arriving at the same time, etc.) so... you might find that Nou Camp is very fluid (even empty) for a visit, or that's packed to the rim. No rule on this.

1. the ground floor of a building is "0", not 1. so what we would call the second floor is 1, and so on...

2. Fixed price for taxi from the airport to the pier is 39 Euros.

3. The taxis take credit cards.

3. Almost everyone that works with the public speaks English.

Thank you. Helpful information.:)

I found a little cafe on TA near our apartment that appears to be a good place to get lunch once we arrive in Barcelona. The few reviews it had were all very good, but they were all in Spanish and my Spanish is limited (I used Google translate). It certainly seems to be a local eatery! My only concern is whether we would be able to navigate the menu. I guess we will just hope that the waiter is also English speaking.:cool:

Hi Sunny AZ Girl,

Firstly you should know that the local language in Catalonia -where Barcelona is capital city of- is Catalan... albeit Spanish is co-official and also spoken. Anyhow, most restaurants have menus in different languages, including English and staff tends to speak (or at least mumble!) bits of other languages, including English. Only in the smaller ones you might find that menus are only in Catalan (and sometimes in Spanish too).

If you are having an early meal (5-5:30 is early there) you should not need a reservation

5-5:30 isn't an early dinner, it is a late lunch in Spain.

Barcelona is not as late as Madrid, where nobody will be eating until 10pm, but before 8.30-9pm, the only people eating will be tourists.

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk

In Barcelona, a late lunch is eating at 3pm. Most restaurants close their kitchens at 3:30 (4 tops) and don't open them back until past 8pm until 11pm (or midnight on Fri and Sat). This is not to say you can't eat ready-made food (ie tapas, if available) or that you can't find specific restaurants that offer non-stop kitchen -but it's not the norm. Obviously, we're talking restaurants here (ie menu del dia), not tapas bars or simple eateries (ie sandwiches and the like) those will offer food all day long.

Important: closing the kitchen doesn't necessarily mean closing the restaurant!

Edited by EnricM

If you want to tour Sagrada familia and/or Park Guell during a busy period, get advance tickets from their website. Online process works very well!

Do you get the tickets from their own websites. Is this different to jump the queue tickets as on viator

Do you get the tickets from their own websites. Is this different to jump the queue tickets as on viator

I haven't compared with Viator, for price or what is included, but yes, different as far as these are directly from the venue, not a 3rd party.