Matthew 2016

karinski

I can't believe this is happening again!! LOL! We were on Carnival Dream when Sandy came through. We had awesome weather the entire cruise, but could not dock on the return due to high winds, so we circled off the coast of Miami for a day. Now it seems as Matthew is going to affect us. We are sailing on Saturday on the Escape. I assume we will make it just fine to St. Thomas and Tortola. Nassau will probably be out- depending on the storm track. I wouldn't mind an extra day at sea!! Does anyone think they will change the itinerary completely? Oh the joys of cruising during Hurricane season. I don't think the family we are traveling with know about this yet- neither does my husband......and I am not saying a word!!:D What are the odds that they cancel completely?

As you are aware since it previously happened to you, these are the risks of cruising during hurricane season, or going on any Caribbean vacation during the season. I have a colleague who told me some weeks ago that she got a "dirt cheap" package for a week in Punta Canta. She is supposed to go there on Saturday. Oops.

It's very unlikely that your cruise will be cancelled, but you need to expect that ports could be missed or the itinerary could be altered. Of course, ships aren't going to sail into the eye of the storm and would try to avoid it as much as possible, but seas could still be rough.

As you are aware since it previously happened to you, these are the risks of cruising during hurricane season, or going on any Caribbean vacation during the season. I have a colleague who told me some weeks ago that she got a "dirt cheap" package for a week in Punta Canta. She is supposed to go there on Saturday. Oops.

It's very unlikely that your cruise will be cancelled, but you need to expect that ports could be missed or the itinerary could be altered. Of course, ships aren't going to sail into the eye of the storm and would try to avoid it as much as possible, but seas could still be rough.

Hoping for the best!! I am still as excited as I was before!! Going to make the best of it!! I also have a Plan B just in case they cancel, which I highly doubt!

I can't believe this is happening again!! LOL! We were on Carnival Dream when Sandy came through. We had awesome weather the entire cruise, but could not dock on the return due to high winds, so we circled off the coast of Miami for a day. Now it seems as Matthew is going to affect us. We are sailing on Saturday on the Escape. I assume we will make it just fine to St. Thomas and Tortola. Nassau will probably be out- depending on the storm track. I wouldn't mind an extra day at sea!! Does anyone think they will change the itinerary completely? Oh the joys of cruising during Hurricane season. I don't think the family we are traveling with know about this yet- neither does my husband......and I am not saying a word!!:D What are the odds that they cancel completely?

I would say: 99 to 1 we sail.

Cheers.

Well, it's begging the question: What's Plan B?

Cheers.

Any plan is up to the Master and the Cruise line. I've been on three cruises that itinerary changed due to hurricanes.

Hurricane Marilyn 1995, Hurricane Arthur 2012, Hurricane Arthur 2014

Working backwards, Arthur we were filling out Canada immigration forms sitting waiting for boarding when over the PA they announced instead of Saint John NB we were going to Bermuda. Last minute change, literately, all before then cruise line said we were going to Canada.

Sandy, rumors everywhere waiting for boarding. We left Brooklyn and then over the PA said we were going to Boston. Tied up to the pier with 23 lines and two tugs keeping us there in 90 knot winds. City closed, could not get off, waiting for permission (no foreign port), then CBP people to get into the city.

Marilyn, left Puerto Rico, kept going south to Trinidad, first time ship ever called there. Other ports we docked but then they found out that the island was too damaged so we stayed on the ship (think it was one of the USVI, heck its 21 years and it was my Honeymoon, wasn't too sober).

So you can even be on the ship and ports will be changed, the ship will sail, no doubt about that. Sandy we got back a day late but the next cruise a repo still boarded in Manhattan and sailed.

FWIW

DSC05912_zps22eeaad0.jpg

DSCF0041_zps528caa25.jpg

Edited by Brighton Line

Well, it's begging the question: What's Plan B?

Cheers.

HAHA! Plan B would only work if cruise was completely cancelled. We would fly from Ft. Lauderdale to Cancun!! Can never be too prepared! I think we will be fine!! Like I said, with Sandy we had beautiful weather the entire cruise!! We were headed south, Sandy went North- the only issue was getting back on time. As I said earlier- I wouldn't mind an extra day!!

HAHA! Plan B would only work if cruise was completely cancelled. We would fly from Ft. Lauderdale to Cancun!! Can never be too prepared! I think we will be fine!! Like I said, with Sandy we had beautiful weather the entire cruise!! We were headed south, Sandy went North- the only issue was getting back on time. As I said earlier- I wouldn't mind an extra day!!

Yup, same here. Returning to Miami one time we did get an extra day for bad weather. Katrina did it to us. It wasn't that bad, but no free drinks as I recall. Worst part was having the house go through the storm with shutters not up, and us bobbing in the high seas not able to do a thing about it. Thankfully no major breaks.

Cheers.

yup, same here. Returning to miami one time we did get an extra day for bad weather. Katrina did it to us. It wasn't that bad, but no free drinks as i recall. Worst part was having the house go through the storm with shutters not up, and us bobbing in the high seas not able to do a thing about it. Thankfully no major breaks.

Cheers.

no free drinks........nooooooooooo!!!:d

You're right! ^^

There's reason why the hurricane/tropical storm season cruises are "dirt cheap". :rolleyes:

So you're saying there's a chance we won't sail Lol

OHH! The Ship WILL Sail.

It may sail later / earlier .

It could stay tied to the pier for a day or two , but it will sail.;)

Captains' like to be @ sea in a storm. The pier can cause damage.

Edited by biker@sea

The latest computer models showing the storm over the Bahamas early on Wednesday (next week) and it's highly questionable whether it's going to affect Bermuda at all. Those of us on the East Coast are likely to get a visit later in the week, especially the mid-Atlantic states ... Floridians might just get rough surfs and rip currents, some wind & rain out of it.

Ships can sail westward & head south, away from the storm in going around - just hang on to the railings while walking around. Trip interruption insurance, it's offered for good reasons - especially if you selected an excellent plan & not the ones by the cruise lines.

Mathew is now a Category 2 Hurricane and expected to intensify to Category 3 later today. It looks like Nassau may take a direct hit about Tuesday. Still unclear it's exact path, but I'd say the Bahama cruises schedule to depart on Monday may become Western Caribbean itineraries.

I just checked the Soggy Dollar Bar webcam. Looks like a beautiful day!!! Do you think that we will still leave at 7pm? You would think they would want to get the heck out of there ASAP since nobody knows when this bad boy is gonna turn north!! Could they even do that? Leave early that is.....

The latest computer models showing the storm over the Bahamas early on Wednesday (next week) and it's highly questionable whether it's going to affect Bermuda at all. Those of us on the East Coast are likely to get a visit later in the week, especially the mid-Atlantic states ... Floridians might just get rough surfs and rip currents, some wind & rain out of it.

Ships can sail westward & head south, away from the storm in going around - just hang on to the railings while walking around. Trip interruption insurance, it's offered for good reasons - especially if you selected an excellent plan & not the ones by the cruise lines.

Well, this Floridian is putting up the shutters. It's a good exercise anyways. Gives me chance to practice setting them up and make sure all hardware still works properly. hey have not been up in over ten years.

Well, this Floridian is putting up the shutters. It's a good exercise anyways. Gives me chance to practice setting them up and make sure all hardware still works properly. hey have not been up in over ten years.

Better safe than sorry!!:)

Not to change the subject or hijack but how will this possibly effect Breakaway going to Bermuda next week? Arriving Wednesday and leaving Friday, getting back up NYC? Any tracks that will mess us up as well? I hope everything works out for all cruising next week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Forums mobile app

There's already another thread, which you started, on that subject.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2407216

Edited by Lido_Deck