Why do Studios cost more than Insides, and why do people book them instead?

Just do a faux booking at ncl.com for 1 Guest on any of the ships with Studio Cabins and you will see a single Inside Cabin is almost always lower than a Single Studio.

I have in that we looked at doing one for my mother. Overall she found the inside was a bit more expensive, however it wasn't double over the studio cost.

The ones however with the special on a singles rate are the better choices over an inside. For instance 10/2 on the Breakaway with a drink package has an inside for $1115.44 (for 1) and a studio for $1503.19 - no brainer I would book the inside.

Yet on 10/16 the inside for 1 is 1602.19 while the studio is 1353.19. Now here the inside is higher, but still the cabin is larger than the studio, I would still take the inside over booking a studio.

Oh, it gets better...

The total with pre-paid gratuities was $504.01, so with the Cruise Next promotion of using two certificates I only paid $4.01 out of pocket.

Now...Those two certificates I used I bought on my last NCL cruise as a Buy 1/Get 1 free promotion. As a result, my real cost for the solo cabin, taxes, fees and gratuity was $254.01.

And my onboard account at the end of the cruise was $0.00.

I got an inside on my next cruise that was priced almost $300 less than a Studio. I prepaid my tips so I hope to have an onboard account to match yours at the end. LOL.

Del Rio is going to be pretty mad he can't get the extra $50 as he promised NCL shareholders.:D

Edited by IrieBajan54

Why look at a picture when I've seen both in real life? Give me the larger inside. Do the studios have mini-refrigerators? I don't recall that they did.

To each his own - I think the layout of studio is better but like I said earlier I would never book that far in advance for solo again. I didn't even book that one - it was a surprise. I'm even holding out on booking 3 cabins for January (2 couples & me) as there are a ton of cabins left & I should be able to get a balcony for less than a studio or share a suite with one of the couples.

I don't think they have a fridge but I've never needed one.

I have in that we looked at doing one for my mother. Overall she found the inside was a bit more expensive, however it wasn't double over the studio cost.

The ones however with the special on a singles rate are the better choices over an inside. For instance 10/2 on the Breakaway with a drink package has an inside for $1115.44 (for 1) and a studio for $1503.19 - no brainer I would book the inside.

Yet on 10/16 the inside for 1 is 1602.19 while the studio is 1353.19. Now here the inside is higher, but still the cabin is larger than the studio, I would still take the inside over booking a studio.

For the 10/2 sailing of the Breakaway for a Single Inside GTY I'm getting $498.75 + $204.65 (ouch!)= $703.40 but there are no perks.

For a Solo Studio with drink package for two(?) a rate of $1,199 + $204.65 + $99.54 svc charges = $1,503.19.

So the question is can Mom drink $800 worth of booze?

I've seen it go both ways. I think it just comes down to the demographics on that particular sailing and how the upgrades/upsells pan out.

Another factor, not sure if anyone mentioned, at least from what I've seen, the super cheap insides are guarantee cabins, meaning, no beverage package perk. And I don't think they offer guarantee studios, so you're going to get a perk with those regardless.

I've seen it go both ways. I think it just comes down to the demographics on that particular sailing and how the upgrades/upsells pan out.

Another factor, not sure if anyone mentioned, at least from what I've seen, the super cheap insides are guarantee cabins, meaning, no beverage package perk. And I don't think they offer guarantee studios, so you're going to get a perk with those regardless.

We don't need no steenking perks! Just bare bones cruise.

Whether you book a guarantee or not has nothing to do with it. Booking a guarantee does not necessarily mean that you get no perks. It is the IX, OX, BX, and MX cabins that have no perks. You get the perks with any other cabin classification...guarantee or not.

I prefer the studio cabins because:

Quiet, private locked-off area, generally no kids running around

Free unlimited espresso-based drinks from the lounge (machine grinds from whole beans)

Morning caffeine and pastries a few steps away instead of schlepping all the way to the buffet. Ditto cookies and pound cake all day.

Iced filtered water and tea makings also always available

No "what to do with room service tray" dilemma as I can drop stuff off on the bussing tray in the studio lounge

I also like the studio layout. It's very cozy and I sleep better during my studio cruises than any other nights of the year.

Different people value different things and that's fine. I'm not interested in rolling the dice on a bare-bones guarantee inside. Other people are and that's cool.

I prefer the studio cabins because:

Quiet, private locked-off area, generally no kids running around

Free unlimited espresso-based drinks from the lounge (machine grinds from whole beans)

Morning caffeine and pastries a few steps away instead of schlepping all the way to the buffet. Ditto cookies and pound cake all day.

Iced filtered water and tea makings also always available

No "what to do with room service tray" dilemma as I can drop stuff off on the bussing tray in the studio lounge

I also like the studio layout. It's very cozy and I sleep better during my studio cruises than any other nights of the year.

Different people value different things and that's fine. I'm not interested in rolling the dice on a bare-bones guarantee inside. Other people are and that's cool.

I think a lot of these are reasons why the studio cabins appeal to me. I am not a person who needs breakfast early in the am, but does absolutely need my coffee, and a small bite. This is why the studio cabin and nearby studio lounge are very appealing to me. as well as the other things you have mentioned.

I am also someone who can only cruise once a year at best, so booking way out a year in advance, at a price that I know I can handle, is better than waiting till 6 months prior, and maybe being disappointed with cabin choice, ship, itinerary and price. I pick a price that works for me, and monitor for price changes, but just basically am just happy with what I have booked.

I booked my Escape cruise for 2017, back in May, and as of today the studio is 200.00 more, and the inside at 200pc for solo, is more. But I am always checking, and have until next summer to final payment, but even if I find an inside cheaper than the studio, I am inclined to keep the studio, just to have quick access to caffeine:D among the other things you mention.

I hate to wish away my time, but really really cant wait till my cruise on Escape:)

Why would anyone sailing Solo want to book that far in advance?

Still, even outside the final payment window an Inside Single is still much cheaper than a Studio 90% of the time. I just ran a faux booking for all the "Away" ships plus the Epic through June and that is what I found.

Why wouldn't a solo book far in advance? Are solos supposed to not have other things going on in their life and therefore not need to book in advance?

I am doing a studio for the 5th time next month. I booked months ago, and the rate for other cabins was much higher. Now, a balcony cabin is $40 more than what I paid. I got off the phone with my TA earlier this morning, and she said I'd have to give up my UBP to move to the balcony. No thanks, the drinks are worth more than the balcony to me.

Every other time, the studio was the least expensive option. I'm a "get me on the ship" person. I don't use the balcony when I have a balcony room.

For me, it comes down to the least expensive option, which a studio has been in my situations, and not caring where I sleep and shower. My previous cruises were 2011-2014, so perhaps the pricing has changed and my next cruise will have a better price on a larger cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Studios are not always more expensive than an inside for a solo traveler. To a large degree it depends on when you are sailing. Right now I am booked for the first week of March, 2017. The price I paid for the studio is more than $400 less than an inside, and I get a perk. I booked this almost 300 days out.

Why book far out? It is spring break, and that is only one week I can go. I don't book guarantees. I don't want to wait until the last minute and risk not getting a cabin or paying a fortune extra. If the price drops I can always upgrade, even after final payment. I don't really care about the perks because I don't get the UBP, so if I lose one it is only a few dollars to replace the dining package.

I'm just off the Escape this morning, in a studio booked well over a year out.

I absolutely love the studios, especially the coffee, closed off area and the solo host. To me any modest price difference will not offset these 3.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the info. I am booked in one for next year September. I know, long wait, but it is what I do; book a year out, and then wait:)

If I may ask; what else do they have in that area besides tea and coffee? I hear that there are pastries in the morning? also what is there during the day time and evening hours? Not sure if there is a bar or not, but if so what hours is it open? Thanks.

I think as others have pointed out, all of it really comes down to timing of booking the cruise and personal preferences. Sometimes inside cabins are more expensive, sometimes studio cabins are more expensive. A lot has to do with supply and demand.

In addition to the studio cabin, solo travelers get unfettered access to the Studio Lounge, which provides perks others may feel are important such as the pastries, cookies and coffees. For most cruises, solo travelers booked in other cabin types only get access during certain hours.

One person pointed out how they preferred the layout of the studio cabin while someone else pointed out preferring to have a mini-fridge, which aren't available in studio cabins. Those are personal preferences. I know for me, I don't need a fridge. I often travel alone, and I cannot think of any time when I needed one, so that wouldn't be a consideration for me, but it may be very important to someone else.

In the end, it's all about what you're willing to pay and what you feel you want and need. I'm going on a TA at the end of this month. I was initially in a studio, but upgraded. I know the studios are sold out and last I checked an inside is cheaper than what the studios were, but the insides were more expensive before final payment.

Edited by zactak

Thanks for the info. I am booked in one for next year September. I know, long wait, but it is what I do; book a year out, and then wait:)

If I may ask; what else do they have in that area besides tea and coffee? I hear that there are pastries in the morning? also what is there during the day time and evening hours? Not sure if there is a bar or not, but if so what hours is it open? Thanks.

Lounge:

--espresso machine from whole beans, can make shots, lattes, cafe crema, cappuccino, etc

--tea bags, sweeteners, creamers

--usually some kind of fresh fruit

--morning: mini croissants, cinnamon rolls, maybe mini chocolate croissants?

--rest of the day: a couple of kinds of cookies, a couple of kinds of pound cake

--large decanter of iced filtered water (great for filling up a bottle, so bring one)

--large decanter of some kind of fruit juice, I'm guessing OJ from concentrate or powder, never tried it

I've been told there's a fridge with milk and yogurt but I've never been able to find it on the Getaway.

There are wine dispensers you can use with a card swipe.

There's a small bar that is usually locked up, but there are happy hour events.

There's a TV showing upcoming ship events, some magazines and board games.

This is all from the GA.

EDIT: I should mention I don't like the half and half containers in the lounge, so I usually snag a small carton of milk from the buffet and keep it in the ice bucket in my room to use for a couple of days.

Edited by AdoraBelle

i have done mainly studio cabins but have done an inside once as it was cheaper at the time i booked. Also just did a balcony room last week with a friend. I did enjoy the balcony but i really love the studio cabins personally. For one person they are perfect and quite honestly compared to the inside cabin i had there is hardly any space difference and i prefer the studio to an inside. It is so quiet in the studio area as it is a locked area. no one running down the hall and how much noise could one person make in a cabin so it is extremely peaceful. On the escape studios, there is the different colored lighting in the rooms which is neat. No fridge but since you can't bring water or pop onboard anymore i have no use for the fridge. Everyone has their preferences. I was booked on the getaway transatlantic next october in an inside and since i booked the price of the studio dropped with free gratuities so i changed rooms. Very happy to have a studio for my TA!! And as for cost, I have mainly seen cabins cheaper than studios closer to the sailing date. If you can book last minute you could get a great deal but if you are booking ahead of time, likely the studio will be a cheaper option in my experience of 6 cruises on the getaway and escape. Happy cruising!

So true. Cause I booked a studio cabin on the getaway for $1300 with taxes, tips and tax/tip for ubp. For an inside it's $699 x 2 plus taxes $1600

Sent from my iPhone using Forums