Your favorite "sail away" song

Freedom55

Silence is my favorite. If I want to hear music, I'll put on my noise-cancelling headphones and listen to what I have on my iTouch.

But, when I do listen, it is frequently Bocelli. But, then, I always have Bocelli in my rotation in my car!

Nice to see another Vangelis person here. If you do an Alaska cruise and want some "sail away" or cruise music, pick up his soundtrack from the movie "Antartica." Great music, but do NOT watch the movie - way too depressing!!! Also, if you can find an old copy of "Themes"; it has his opening/closing songs to "The Bounty". If you like Vangelis, also look into Jean Michel Jarre - Equinox and Oxygene from back in the 70s are still favorites of mine for driving at night on road trips.

'Conquest of Paradise' by Vangelis that accompanies the raising of the ships company flag by two crew members dressed in 'whites' that stand at attention above the bridge until the music stops while leaving port. This ceremony and the music is played on port departures by Windstar cruise ships. Not familiar with the tune? Google it and listen. The music is very powerful and moving ...................just like the ocean.

Edited by Magnum60

'Conquest of Paradise' by Vangelis that accompanies the raising of the ships company flag by two crew members dressed in 'whites' that stand at attention above the bridge until the music stops while leaving port. This ceremony and the music is played on port departures by Windstar cruise ships. Not familiar with the tune? Google it and listen. The music is very powerful and moving ...................just like the ocean.

Definitely the masted Windstar ships unfurling the sails to Conquest. Nothing else even remotely comes close.

Here are my choices:

Sail Away - Enya

I am Sailing - Rod Stewart

Slow Boat to China - ?

Banana Boat Song - Harry Belafonte

Amazing Grace

Rule Britannia

We Have an Anchor

Anchors Away

What shall we do with a Drunken Sailor!

Theme from Onedin Line

From my days of sailing on Windjammer Barefoot Cruises the sail away song would be Amazing Grace on the bagpipes. Very moving hearing that song while they hoisted the sails.

I loved that one too! Something so special and moving about it. We only went on one, but miss those ships.

I vote for 'Sailaway" 'Kokomo" or maybe even "Sea Cruise".