Carnival vs princess (Legend vs Ruby Princess)

shutuph

Loved Alaska so much we are looking to book our next cruise.

We loved Legend but are looking to go to Glacier Bay. Anyone done both ships. We are concerned we will be disappointed going with Princess. We had the interior French door on Legend and that was amazing for the price. I know there is nothing like that on Princess.

Can anyone weigh in on whether we are making a mistake.

I think Princess does a great job in Alaska.

They have several enrichment speakers that come on the ship plus a Naturalist (Carnival has one also).

I think Glacier Bay is important for your first cruise to Alaska as it is pretty much guaranteed. Tracy Arm was pretty much a miss for most cruise ships this year.

Carnival does do Glacier Bay sometimes for a few weeks early or late in the season.

I have only done Carnival once (a long time ago) and then switched to Princess as I then preferred Princess. Carnival cabins are generally larger and you are right, there are no french balconies on Princess. In Alaska - even when I have a balcony, I am out on deck a lot as that is where the best views are. If you book with Princess, watch prices as they are often starting high and often drop through the season. Good luck planning.

Edited by Coral

Except for next year when the Legend is doing a Glacier Bay run on August 15th (2017). Booked it a couple of months ago. The price at that point was $2000 less than NCL Pearl (which also does GB) which was the next cheapest.

We are hoping that they run a Glacier Bay in 2018. Love seattle and loved Legend. Did you book a balcony? If you just need some daylight we booked a 4k and had a great view between lifeboats.

Have fun...Alaska spoiled the carribean cruises for us....now we want to save our cruising for Alaska!

We are hoping that they run a Glacier Bay in 2018. Love seattle and loved Legend. Did you book a balcony? If you just need some daylight we booked a 4k and had a great view between lifeboats.

Have fun...Alaska spoiled the carribean cruises for us....now we want to save our cruising for Alaska!

Booked an extended balcony. Just under $4600 for the 4 of us which is too good to pass up. And reduced deposit. We had AK booked on NCL Jewel for this past August which we ended up cancelling when the exchange rate between the Canadian dollar and the USD fell through the floor. Still ended up spending the same amount of money at Disney World in the end.

Waiting for summer 2018 schedules like everyone else. Done a lot of caribbean cruises the last few years and are looking to some new sights now that the girls are getting older. We want to do Europe and having seen the pictures from Vista this summer, thinking Horizon esp. if they run the 10 night itinerary again.

If you just need some daylight we booked a 4k and had a great view between lifeboats.

Did you look at category OZ on Lido deck? Those are inexpensive obstructed view cabins that face out front. We've got one booked for the 5/6/17 sailing of the Ruby.

Getting ready to go on our 32 cruise with princess and our 5th to AK with them as well. Absolutely love the ships and the staff. Have never had a bad cruise.

We have gone on RCI, NCL, HAL and Disney and by far think Princess is the best, especially in AK. Have also done RCI and HAL to AK and they were not nearly as good in our opinions.

Try them and see for yourself.

Getting ready to go on our 32 cruise with princess and our 5th to AK with them as well. Absolutely love the ships and the staff. Have never had a bad cruise.

We have gone on RCI, NCL, HAL and Disney and by far think Princess is the best, especially in AK. Have also done RCI and HAL to AK and they were not nearly as good in our opinions.

Try them and see for yourself.

We also did RCCL in Alaska and was disappointed compared to Princess. Princess did far more enrichment programs and had Alaska things going on all the time on the ship. RCCL had none.

We also did RCCL in Alaska and was disappointed compared to Princess. Princess did far more enrichment programs and had Alaska things going on all the time on the ship. RCCL had none.

In fairness, I happen to find RCI a great cruise in Alaska. If I recall correctly, your dislike of RCI in Alaska is based on one cruise several years ago?

I've done about 8 RCI cruises in Alaska, with 2 Radiance sailings this year. The port times were excellent and itinerary extremely enjoyable, Seward is my preference, due to my always easily adding Whittier anyway. (mainland itinerary)

There are many great choices to choose from. And you'll find rave reviews with Alaska sailings no matter what cruise.

In fairness, I happen to find RCI a great cruise in Alaska. If I recall correctly, your dislike of RCI in Alaska is based on one cruise several years ago?

We all have choices and opinions but I found the cruise experience inferior in Alaska. I would be hesitant to waste my money again on them to give them another chance in Alaska.

Edited by Coral