Hotel & Transfers New York

Costas_33

Hi Guys

Just finalising details before committing to a Caribbean Cruise starting from New York on the NLC Gem – Mar 2018.

Will be travelling from UK (Probably from Heathrow) will most likely book cruise only (using Virgin Cruises). With the cruise and flight option they use an overnight Virgin charter flight. The plus here is you get a good price flight price, but the overnight flight leaves little room for delays. So will most likely take the potentially more expensive but safer option of getting a flight in the day before.

Which brings me to my question to anyone in the know please. We will need to book a hotel (New York) for one night somewhere close to the harbour (not sure which harbour/port yet). Virgin are quoting hotels at around $200 mark. So wondering if this sounds reasonable, I’m happy with a basic hotel room to sleep two adults plus our 14 year old son. Being close to the embarkation point will presumably mean the transfer to the ship from hotel will be cheaper? But realise we will have to pay for the transfer to the hotel from the airport as well (which one unknown as yet). Also wondering about the possible transfer cost back to the airport from ship following disembarkation. Just trying to judge hotel and transfer costs really. I've heard the Times square area may be an option, but if this means a big price hike then I'd have to weigh this up.

It may be the overnight package might actually still be an option worth considering. I need to confirm transfers aren’t included if we book the cruise and flight option together. A question I need to confirm with Virgin, unless anyone from the UK knows the answer to this one.

A few missing details here I know, but any hotel, transfer information/prices would help making a decision.

Many thanks

Costas

We normally book with Virgin and have used the Westin At Times Squre on our last two occasions. We love the location as it's right opposite the bus station, subway and one block away from Times Square and in the heart of the Theatres District. Booking with Virgin will give you a $15 per person bar credit and it's an easy 15 min walk to the Manhattan Cruise terminal. Although we walked back up on this occasion it was a bit of an effort as it's a gentle steady uphill climb.

While we were in the area we did notice The Travel Inn on West 42nd Street which is fairly close to the river which would be very convenient and seems a little more basic for a simple overnight stay, never stayed there but would consider it.

We use another travel agency who do Smart Packages, you get flights cruise plus hotel at each end of the cruise and it is amazing value. Google smart package for the agents name.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

hi,

The Gem goes from pier 88 in Manhatten, just by the The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum.

We are flying from UK LHR to spend a few days in NY before we board in Feb. At the moment we are planning to stay at Ink48 on 48th Street and walking the 200 yards to the ship. That way we dont pay for a taxi to the ship.

A quick side note, have you noticed you can prepay the discretionary service charge in GBP? it saves about £2 pp pd

Thank you all.

I now have my bearings a little and feel quite comfortable booking a hotel, either in Times Square or within walking distance of the cruise terminal.

Plenty of good hotels, and some great deals. Will have to leave booking the hotel until flights become available in six months time though!

We have choices so I'm happy.

Thanks again.

There is really no reason to book a hotel in Manhattan based on proximity to the port - almost all hotels in the area are a quick cheap cab ride away. If your staying in one of the greatest cities in the world, get a hotel in the midst f restaurants and things to do. $200 is a low price for a hotel room.

A NYC person chiming in here with some advice -

Try to get a hotel on the west side of the City. An address would be West (some number) Street. Example,West 48 Street.

You can get a cab from the East side to Pier 88, but sometimes traffic is very congested going crosstown - East Side to the West Side.

Consider using a car service giving you a flat rate rather than a cab as transport from JFK into the City.

Traffic can be heavy and the cab meter continues to keep going even when the cab is stopped in traffic.

You could also book the same car service to take you back to the airport upon disembarkation.

You may also consider the transfer/hotel package offered by Virgin Atlantic or NCL.

It may make your vacation planning a bit easier.

$200 is a very good price for a NYC hotel.

Just make certain that it is a reputable hotel in a safe area of the City.

Comfort Inn Midtown West and right next door is the

Holiday Inn Express Manhattan Midtown West

both are on West 48 Street on block from the Pier 88 entrance.

I have stayed @ Comfort Inn - $169 seems to be the going rate for

March booking thru one of the on-line sites

Hi Guys

Just finalising details before committing to a Caribbean Cruise starting from New York on the NLC Gem – Mar 2018.

Will be travelling from UK (Probably from Heathrow) will most likely book cruise only (using Virgin Cruises). With the cruise and flight option they use an overnight Virgin charter flight. The plus here is you get a good price flight price, but the overnight flight leaves little room for delays. So will most likely take the potentially more expensive but safer option of getting a flight in the day before.

Which brings me to my question to anyone in the know please. We will need to book a hotel (New York) for one night somewhere close to the harbour (not sure which harbour/port yet). Virgin are quoting hotels at around $200 mark. So wondering if this sounds reasonable, I’m happy with a basic hotel room to sleep two adults plus our 14 year old son. Being close to the embarkation point will presumably mean the transfer to the ship from hotel will be cheaper? But realise we will have to pay for the transfer to the hotel from the airport as well (which one unknown as yet). Also wondering about the possible transfer cost back to the airport from ship following disembarkation. Just trying to judge hotel and transfer costs really. I've heard the Times square area may be an option, but if this means a big price hike then I'd have to weigh this up.

It may be the overnight package might actually still be an option worth considering. I need to confirm transfers aren’t included if we book the cruise and flight option together. A question I need to confirm with Virgin, unless anyone from the UK knows the answer to this one.

A few missing details here I know, but any hotel, transfer information/prices would help making a decision.

Many thanks

Costas

Easy: INK 48

hi,

The Gem goes from pier 88 in Manhatten, just by the The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum.

We are flying from UK LHR to spend a few days in NY before we board in Feb. At the moment we are planning to stay at Ink48 on 48th Street and walking the 200 yards to the ship. That way we dont pay for a taxi to the ship.

A quick side note, have you noticed you can prepay the discretionary service charge in GBP? it saves about £2 pp pd

Book a room on the higher floors with view over downtown. Amazing, especially when you arrive in the evening!

Thanks everyone for the your knowledgeable replies. Quite a learning curve for a first time cruiser, and visitor to NYC. Ive saved this thread and will return to it for reference. Definitely will book a room on a high floor. I'll wait to see how many free hours I'll actually have in NYC before we cruise, and then decide the priorities about the exact location. I'll look at the prices and decide if we can actually add a further night before we cruise, that would be very appealing. I'll leave Ink48 to you hi-rollers;) (Looks great though).

I'm sure to be back again for further advice. Much appreciated.

Thanks everyone for the your knowledgeable replies. Quite a learning curve for a first time cruiser, and visitor to NYC. Ive saved this thread and will return to it for reference. Definitely will book a room on a high floor. I'll wait to see how many free hours I'll actually have in NYC before we cruise, and then decide the priorities about the exact location. I'll look at the prices and decide if we can actually add a further night before we cruise, that would be very appealing. I'll leave Ink48 to you hi-rollers;) (Looks great though).

I'm sure to be back again for further advice. Much appreciated.

You may also wish to consider a night in a NYC hotel post cruise. It's easy to transfer by cab and eliminates the problem of what to do with your luggage all day as your flight will be that night.

You will then effectively get two days in New York. Most hotels will hold your luggage either for a fee or tip.

Also bear in mind that cabs have a fixed rate between Manhattan and JFK

Have you been in to Virgin and got them to price the package deal? We did this last year and were gping to do it ourselves but just went in to our local shop to see what they could do and we ended up going with them. They got us a lovely high room in the Renaissance at Time Square (huge lovely room, great view, excellently located, best sleep I have ever had in my life ironically), limo personal transfers (from airport to hotel, hotel to port, port to airport), £100 OBC, and selected exit seats for two. The price was the same as we could have done using a cheaper carrier (Norwegian Air I think) and in a much worse 3* hotel (the Row, who suspended UK bookings due to legionella not long after) and with no transfers.