North American Ports

Misty Morning

Given what I know about those ships ( 19 times ) those ships sparkle with cleanliness so that question has no truth. I do not know the reasons but have heard that perhaps Alaska is on their adgenda in the near future. They used to go out of ports in Florida. Happy Sailing

I have been told that they can't dock in American ports because their engines don't pass current air pollution laws. That's just what I've been told. I'm not sure how true it is.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Edited by BBQ Lover

On a galley tour I was told it's the CDC inspection for the sailing ships. Very clean but some hardware does not meet modern US standards, largely some wooden surfaces and not enough stainless steel. I would suspect it would not be a problem for the former Windstar ships.

Roy

I do not think it has anything to do with the kitchen. WS spent millions in upgrading the fleet back in 2012.

Probably have something to do with either the engine (low sulfur??) or the holding thanks (which cannot be fixed easily) or other. I just speculate.

There is a Federal law which prohibits foreign flagged ships from coastwise trade between U.S. ports. Only U.S. flagged ships can do that. The law in question is the Merchant Marine Act of 1920. This is a U.S. Federal statute which regulates maritime commerce in U.S. waters and between U.S. ports. Section 27, known as the Jones Act, deals with the concept of "cabotage" (coastal shipping). The law requires that all goods transported by water between U.S. ports be carried in U.S.-flag ships, constructed in the United States, owned by U.S. citizens, and crewed by U.S. citizens. The reality today, of course, is that virtually all cruise ships are foreign flagged in order to avoid US taxes and occupational laws. This is why you don't see a cruise ship sailing from New Orleans to Galveston and letting off passengers.