Tipping?

paulmlac

Tip Question  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Tip Question

• Added
    • Preset amount
    • Subtracted

We're just back from our Disney Dream 4 night cruise.

I know this is a "hot" topic but I'm curious so I'll dip my toe in the water & ask. I'm curious how many people fall into the various buckets below:

- Add to the preset tip amount

- Do exactly the preset tip amount

- Subtract from the preset tip amount

I totally understand if people don't want to answer since, as I mentioned, I know this is a "hot" topic.

As for us:

- Added: waiter, assistant waiter, cabin attendant

- Preset amount: head waiter

Here's why I'm curious. The waiter provided excellent service & was very personable throughout the cruise but seemed a little more distant at the departure breakfast. I added but don't know how common that is. I'm hoping he didn't feel "stiffed" by us.

(Sorry the poll doesn't allow for multiple entries, I guess pick what is most common)

Edited by paulmlac

I know this is a "hot" topic but I'm curious so I'll dip my toe in the water & ask. I'm curious how many people fall into the various buckets below:

I totally understand if people don't want to answer since, as I mentioned, I know this is a hot topic.

As for us:

I fall in two of your categories. We've added to some tips, and only gave the suggested amount other times. We've not yet reduced/removed any gratuities.

Ah, but your poll doesn't allow for a choice like you did.

I base it on the individual and the service we receive. Most of the time the head server gets the set amount. Most of the time I get excellent service from the others and add to the suggested amount. But there have been occasional times when someone really dropped the ball. We once had a server who was a jerk and an assistant who really hustled and made up for him. I basically reversed the tips--since the assistant did all the work, I gave her the server's tip + some more. The server did nothing, so I gave him the assistant's amount (which was generous!)

One thing I did learn. On one cruise I commented to our server that the head server was really a dud. The server said no, he was "my best help" and went on to say that he was dealing with a complex medical issue so our server did't have to worry about it. He explained that the head server's work allowed the server to give good service to all his guests instead of having to be very occupied with one. So things aren't always as they seem.

I totally understand if people don't want to answer since, as I mentioned, I know this is a "hot" topic.

As for us:

Here's why I'm curious. The waiter provided excellent service & was very personable throughout the cruise but seemed a little more distant at the departure breakfast. I added but don't know how common that is. I'm hoping he didn't feel "stiffed" by us.

(Sorry the poll doesn't allow for multiple entries, I guess pick what is most common)

I'll just point out that that last morning, the servers are on a big time constraint. Most of them have been up since 0 dark thirty, so they could clear immigration before continuing with the morning breakfast service (quickly) and whatever they are required to do for the turn around day. Before starting all over again for the next cruise.

I don't think that they're particularly "distant" just preoccupied, maybe.

We have done all 3.

We also had a server that was a dud with an asst. server that was excellent - we reversed their amounts.

We have our favorite head servers that go way above and beyond for us and they always get more from us. One was our asst. server on our first cruise 17 years ago.

I'll just point out that that last morning, the servers are on a big time constraint. Most of them have been up since 0 dark thirty, so they could clear immigration before continuing with the morning breakfast service (quickly) and whatever they are required to do for the turn around day. Before starting all over again for the next cruise.

I don't think that they're particularly "distant" just preoccupied, maybe.

The bolded underlined in red above is absolutely incorrect information!

The whole crew do NOT go through an "in person muster" CBP immigration check every time they return to their home port on regular cruises!

The check is done without them present (the cruise line hold their passport for the duration of their contract) until a full "in person muster" inspection is due.

Where did you read this Shmoo?

If they are transiting to another US port for more than a cruise port visit, then they will/may be inspected.

Crew on US cruise ships are usually only subject to a crew immigration check every 90 days. So around once a quarter.

Don't believe me? Here is the CBP document. Go to page 15.

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/vessel_guide_4.pdf

ex techie

Too bad you couldn't check more than 1 because I've done all 3.

On 1 cruise, we removed our dining tips;

On all but that 1 cruise, we've at minimum left the pre-set amount;

On many cruises we've tipped extra to specific people based on their service.

We almost always add an additional $1 tip to ordered drinks (and it's gotten us great service).

Our stateroom hosts on DCL haven't generally been great so most of the time, it's just the standard amount for them. I've had a few stand out stewards on Carnival who earned extra.

Many of our dining servers have received additional tips (and that's pretty consistent on all lines).

On Celebrity, the MDR bar server earned an extra tip at the end of the week - even though we were only drinking soda, he made sure we were well taken care of.

If you add the tip cost to your cruise before payoff, can you still adjust the amounts if needed when the time comes?

Yes, you can adjust at any time until you give the coupons to the CMs. Of course, you can also increase a tip by adding some cash on top of the coupon.

We have always had amazing servers and room attendants, so we've always added to the envelope. It has always been well deserved. However, only on our last few cruises did we tip the head servers more....as they went over and above ensuring our experience was amazing. We've been thankful to have such wonderful cast members assigned to us.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

One of the main jobs of the head server is to train the servers and keep them at their peak performance. If your server and asst. server earned an extra tip, it's a good bet that your head server made that happen even if it looks like they don't do much. Kick in a couple for them too.

I come from Australia where tipping is far from the norm.

Took a couple of cruises to get used to it.

I love the auto tip system, leave it in place and I know I'm doing the right thing, staff who make my cruise "special" will get a bit extra.

And special isn't about service per se, it's about being friendly make my fun get away, fun, and I guess knowing when to just leave me alone.

I come from Australia where tipping is far from the norm.

Took a couple of cruises to get used to it.

I love the auto tip system, leave it in place and I know I'm doing the right thing, staff who make my cruise "special" will get a bit extra.

And special isn't about service per se, it's about being friendly make my fun get away, fun, and I guess knowing when to just leave me alone.

I agree. From the UK and its not normal to tip anything that isn't outstanding but once you understand that this is factored into their wage level it helps. I still think it should be automatically on there and shouldn't be called a tip but a service charge as I think less people would have issues with paying if they saw it as a "charge" rather than a tip but that's just me.

I agree. From the UK and its not normal to tip anything that isn't outstanding but once you understand that this is factored into their wage level it helps. I still think it should be automatically on there and shouldn't be called a tip but a service charge as I think less people would have issues with paying if they saw it as a "charge" rather than a tip but that's just me.

Or just bundle it in the fare like they do here.

so i know they add the preferred tips to the bill is this correct? how do you pay for these add it on the credit card?

also if you get a soda or something do you tip the bar tender cash or does it go on a receipt and you pay at the end?

how much cash do you bring and how much are you spending approximately? we would only be getting soda or juice no alcoholic drinks.

i know you tip the room service people appx 2 bucks per item?? is this cash or do you add it on the receipt?

i have never cruised so i am wondering how much monty to plan on spending?:confused:

so i know they add the preferred tips to the bill is this correct? how do you pay for these add it on the credit card? You can pay your final bill either cash or credit card.

also if you get a soda or something do you tip the bar tender cash or does it go on a receipt and you pay at the end? The tip is automatically added to your bill and it gets charged to your onboard account. But you can get free sodas at the self serve beverage station on the pool deck and at meals.

how much cash do you bring and how much are you spending approximately? we would only be getting soda or juice no alcoholic drinks. We bring a bunch of $1's to pay tips at the port and room service. Everything is charged to the onboard account and we usually charge that to a credit card. Can't really give you an idea on how much you could spend as it depends if you buy merchandise and/or pictures on the ship and if you are going to do any port adventures or adult dining.

i know you tip the room service people appx 2 bucks per item?? is this cash or do you add it on the receipt? We tip room service in cash as they don't always bring a slip to sign. Tipping $2 per item would be very generous, we generally tip $1-$3 per delivery based on the number if items we order.

i have never cruised so i am wondering how much monty to plan on spending?:confused:

Answers in red.

so i know they add the preferred tips to the bill is this correct? how do you pay for these add it on the credit card?

also if you get a soda or something do you tip the bar tender cash or does it go on a receipt and you pay at the end?

how much cash do you bring and how much are you spending approximately? we would only be getting soda or juice no alcoholic drinks.

i know you tip the room service people appx 2 bucks per item?? is this cash or do you add it on the receipt?

The standard tip is automatically added to your onboard account and will be paid off with whatever system you set up to use on board (cash or credit card) You can increase or decrease the charged tips by going to guest services. My favorite server (the one we always request) prefers charged tips, so we do it that way for everyone.

If you get a soda at the bar, you are wasting your money. Soda at the self-serve beverage stations and in the restaurants are "free," (included in cruise fare, no tip involved. If you buy one at the bar, a standard 15% tip is added. There is also a line to add extra tip if desired. The 15% goes to a tip pool which is divided among all bar workers. Any additional goes to the person who actually served you.

Room service can be tipped in cash or placed on the receipt. $2 per item is very generous. We tip more like $1 per item or $5 for a tray full.

How much cash you bring is very much up to you. I bring $1s and $5s for tips to the porters and room service people. Essentially everything else goes on the KTTW card. You'll need cash in port depending on what you choose to do.

We always leave the auto tips on. Even when we have had less than great service it was still better than we get in most hotels/restaurants we go to here in the US.

We typically give an extra amount to each person. We only had 1 cruise and 1 cabin attendant where we didn't give them extra.

The work that these guys put in, with the mostly fantastic attitudes they have and the relatively small amount they get paid we like to give a little extra.