First cruise ever!

Tara12

Tara, prepare to be hooked! You are going to love it!

My two pieces of advice: first take the time to do some pre-planning. (since you are here on Cruise Critic, I think you are probably already doing that.) Think about what you want to do in each port, and use resources like TripAdvisor and CC to make sure you are getting the best possible experiences.

Two: just take everything in stride. Stuff happens. There might be some hang-ups. But overall you are going to have a fantastic time. If there are a few glitches, don't let them ruin your vacation!

I hate when I see someone focusing on the negatives. You are in beautiful Alaska for goodness sake! Enjoy every minute!

By the way, if you haven't done it already, you should check to see if there is a roll call for your cruise. We have met some great people on roll calls.

Enjoy!

Our 1st cruise was our 25th anniversary and we were hooked. SveaGirl was thinking Alaska was all rocks and ice - boy did she ever learn how wrong she was. Amazingly green (from all that rain!). Another surprise for her were the numbers of Eagles - they are everywhere. Whale watching from the ship was almost as productive a taking a whale tour. We became hooked on cruising. Alaska is a great intro since typically the waters are calm and little or no ship motion from waves. Re-doing Alaska for our 40th next year.

I do not know what type of planner you are, but I am the type that gets almost as much enjoyment planning as executing a trip. So it is never too early to plan. I am currently making plans for a 2018 Ovation Asia cruise. :D

My wife Marie and I just got back from our first Alaska cruise last month. Here is the link to the report I did during the cruise. It might help in deciding on what excursions or activities you do in the ports. Don't be afraid to book excursions with outside agencies/companies. Just check here on CC or on trip advisor for reviews first.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2390859

Be prepared and you will have the time of your life. :)

Tara12, how exciting. You’ll love your first cruise. You should start your planning now, start with a place to stay in the Seattle area if needed, transportation from Sea-Tac airport etc. Princess leaves from Pier 91, this is North of the downtown area about 2 miles. The Ruby is a nice ship, we’ve been on it many times up to Alaska, we go on an Alaskan cruise every year. We live in the Seattle area so it’s a little too handy for us to go on an Alaskan cruise. There are so many things to do and know about Alaska it’s almost mind boggling.You'll have a wonderful time