Friends backing out on cruise week before final payment

Desinico

Idk what to do at this point. We have planned this back in May. So far my mom has backed out due to financial difficulties and a friend of the family that was in the room with her. Now I'm down to 2 ppl going and both of them seem iffy. I still want to go. I know I can't pull together double occupancy by myself this late in the game. I have a lot invested into this trip. I'm flying all the way from Texas and would be out a lot of money( this is my bachelorette party cruise & I'm planning a wedding). I feel hurt because I would never do this to any of them if I said I was gonna go I would go. Especially considering the occasion. Idk what to do [emoji20], I can't force them to go if they don't want to. We don't get our deposit back either because we booked under the 50$ deposit thing. So everyone loses.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

did you book under early saver? if you did you might not get any back. they take $50 per person and the rest goes toward a future cruise I believe.

Make sure of what they can get back and maybe getting $0 back might convince them to go.

ok, I am reading the policy and dont think I am right

Early Saver and Early Saver Last Call: The deposit is non-refundable at any time after the booking is made. All cancellations that occur prior to the final payment due date will receive a non-refundable and non-transferable future cruise credit in US dollars in the amount of the deposit less a $50 USD per person service fee. The future cruise credit must be used on a cruise within 24 months from the date of cancellation and can only be applied to your cruise fare. Any unused portion will be forfeited.

Edited by hftmrock

Go without them. They won't get any of their money back and frankly, that's their problem. They should just simply be no-shows instead of actually cancelling. For you, that's the best course.

I feel for you. I had a group of us sail on the Magic back in August, and one friend's roommate bailed about 3 weeks before. She was horrible to deal with. Calling Carnival and demanding a refund. It was just a mess with this girl. No you can't force anyone to go. But if you are all set, go without them and enjoy yourself. They need to be no-shows so that you aren't in any way affected by them calling and cancelling instead.

Congratulations on your wedding. Keep your head up!

Go without them. They won't get any of their money back and frankly, that's their problem. They should just simply be no-shows instead of actually cancelling. For you, that's the best course.

I feel for you. I had a group of us sail on the Magic back in August, and one friend's roommate bailed about 3 weeks before. She was horrible to deal with. Calling Carnival and demanding a refund. It was just a mess with this girl. No you can't force anyone to go. But if you are all set, go without them and enjoy yourself. They need to be no-shows so that you aren't in any way affected by them calling and cancelling instead.

Thank you! How does that work if we all have only paid our deposit of 50$? We intended....well I intended on paying this Sunday that's a few days before it's due. The rep said if they aren't takin off the whole booking will cancel. Of course I can't get a straight answer from carnival on this. Every time I call it's a different story.

Thank you! How does that work if we all have only paid our deposit of 50$? We intended....well I intended on paying this Sunday that's a few days before it's due. The rep said if they aren't takin off the whole booking will cancel. Of course I can't get a straight answer from carnival on this. Every time I call it's a different story.

It's a week before final payment - not a week before the cruise! Uhhh I read that wrong. My apologies.

In that case, everyone is going to lose the $50. ES charges $50pp for any changes. And the cancellations will lose their money. You'll have to rebook as a solo or hunt for a new roommate. Perhaps you can find a cheaper room or a less expensive cruise. Carnival used to offer last minute sales where the single supplement was waived. I don't know if they still do that or not. I still hope you can find a way to go. That sucks that folks backed out on you like that.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

OOPS!! lol

Bill

Edited by S.S.Oceanlover

No advice regarding your cruise, but a little about people.

Weddings tend to show you peoples true colors. While I was planning my own wedding I lost a few ppl and gained a few too. It's not easy being let down by people you believe are closest to you. I had a planned destination bachelorette party that fell apart in a similar way. I turned that into a mini vacay for DH & myself. We used it as a way to reconnect and take a break from all the wedding planning. Is it feesible for you to do something similar?

Congrats on your engagement!

Could you switch the booking to the Freedom Dec 12 out of Galveston? You'd have to pay the $50 penalty but no airfare. The Freedom cruise is $50 more than the Valor.

It's a huge chunk of change to expect this of others, especially with airfare and hotel the night before. Looking at almost $1,000 pp by the time everything is said and done.

I think the problem is that she already bought the plane ticket. That's the money she's out if she doesn't pay the double fare to cruise solo. I bet her friends didn't book flights yet so they'll only be out the $50 deposit.

I know it's a crappy thing for the bride but hopefully her friends didn't do it on purpose. If they are in the wedding, that's usually pretty darn expensive. You have to buy a gown and shoes, throw a bridal shower, get a gift for the shower and a gift for the wedding, and there might be hotel expenses to stay where the wedding reception is. When you start adding all of that up, it can be overwhelming. Too bad those friends didn't offer to each chip in enough money to pay for her fiancé to join her on the cruise.

That is super rotten of them and can understand you being hurt. I say find a cheaper room and go anyway and have a blast! Life is short so make the most of it, their loss. I know it wont be the same but look at the get away in a different light so it doesn't bring you down and live it up! Congratulations!!!

Brides stop planning these destination Bachelorette parties. As a bridesmaid WE DO NOT HAVE THE MONEY TO ATTEND! Im sure you friends had every intention of going on the cruise but life happens. They're probably having to choose between being in the wedding or going on the cruise. They're choosing being in the wedding. Thank goodness they're only losing $50.

Cancel the cruise and have a girl's night out for your Bachelorette party. You have learned a valuable lesson.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Edited by cynt

Brides stop planning these destination Bachelorette parties. As a bridesmaid WE DO NOT HAVE THE MONEY TO ATTEND! Im sure you friends had every intention of going on the cruise but life happens. They're probably having to choose between being in the wedding or going on the cruise. They're choosing being in the wedding. Thank goodness they're only losing $50.

Cancel the cruise and have a girl's night out for your Bachelorette party. You have learned a valuable lesson.

Totally agree- I think it's very selfish to have a destination wedding and put your friends and family in a difficult situation. Finances and ability to take time off are sometimes difficult. I'm sorry but I don't want to spend my entire year's worth of vacation going on Your Cruise Wedding! (Not addressed to OP- but in genereal)

Totally agree- I think it's very selfish to have a destination wedding and put your friends and family in a difficult situation. Finances and ability to take time off are sometimes difficult. I'm sorry but I don't want to spend my entire year's worth of vacation going on Your Cruise Wedding! (Not addressed to OP- but in genereal)

Then don't lead someone to believe your going and shortly before the cruise back out. They could of told her far in advance so she could have made other arrangements without putting stress on her. I feel for her but life's what you make it, I think she should live it up if that's what she wants to do.

I booked under early saver 50 dollar deposit for a family member. They could not go and it was before final payment I cancelled and lost my 100 but I received a refund of what I paid into it. The total cruise was about 591 minus 100 remainder in a refund. So cancel before final payment.

That's a shame people are backing out of a special event trip. I regularly travel with one friend who is very reliable, if he says he's going he goes, but in my experience with other friends and family, with the exception of my daughter and son-in-law who are reliable too, many people will say they want to go then back out. The best way to protect yourself, if you're relying on others to go and wouldn't go by yourself, is to have them buy their airline tickets first, then buy yours. That's the make or break key I've noticed with people, if they buy airline tickets they're serious. Lessons learned, through the years you learn who you can count on and who you can't. Hope this helps, try and go yourself anyway.

Sent from my Keurig coffee maker using a Sumatran blend

Rusty

It was an early saver/ interline rate. I got a discount through my job.

Early Saver and Interline are 2 separate unrelated fare codes. ES is a $50 penalty for cancellation before final. Interline is fully refundable before final.

Regardless of the above, I would just blowoff the cruise as a lesson learned when trying to organize a friends and family event. Best of luck.

Well to begin I did not force them to go I said hey what about a cruise? I got a good rate. I'm talking 171 pp when it comes down to it. I'm the only one flying in everyone else is already living in Florida. The wedding is in Florida. Both women are in the wedding and I've been friends with one since I was in 7th grade the other a sophomore in high school and she is also my sons god mother. I even offered for that same person if she didn't have money I'd pay for her dress blah blah. I'd bend of backwards for my friends. I asked their opinion on every decision, even about this trip. Also, suggesting to stay within the U.S.A. They picked the time frame for this trip and when it was gonna be...dresses and what everyone could afford. I know my wedding isn't the only thing going on in their life. But wow.

If you can't go with your FIANCÉ just cancel. You are in the right time frame. Things happen.

I never commit with anyone unless I have the money to back it up. Enjoy your wedding, though you feel hurt soon it will all be forgotten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's only selfish if the bride planned this without any input from the rest involved. And I've seen that happen. But I have a hard time believing anyone would plan a trip that would require time away from work, etc. and not have the full agreement of those she invited. Things happen, so they may have well intended to go and been able to afford it. But unless whatever it was with both people happened right before final payment was due, the only selfish people are the two that backed out.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

Early Saver and Interline are 2 separate unrelated fare codes. ES is a $50 penalty for cancellation before final. Interline is fully refundable before final.

Regardless of the above, I would just blowoff the cruise as a lesson learned when trying to organize a friends and family event. Best of luck.

I say with the slash because every time I call in I have either a interline rate or a early saver from rep lol

Maybe there is ONE friend who would jump at the chance to go with you - not any from the original group who are now backing out, but someone else.

You've already paid for the plane ticket and the cruise is only $171pp. Maybe ask around to other friends or family members (sister, mom, cousins)? You may still salvage your cruise!