Anyone recently purchase liquor onboard to take home?

tony_g51181

I am about to board the Valor in 8 days and a friend of mine planned on bringing home a good bit of alcohol for his wedding and I had heard that now you have to get your liquor the day you get off the ship and now they have customs on the ships and have a print out of what you purchased?

Is this still the case??? Any input would be helpful!

If you go over your one litre allowance then the tax will be $13.50 per proof gallon. A proof gallon is a gallon of liquid that is 100 proof, or 50% alcohol. The tax is adjusted, depending on the percentage of alcohol of the product. On most items it will be about $5 per litre. It isn't a large amount.

On cigarettes you will be charged $105.69 per 1000 cigarettes over your allotted 200. So you can bring five cartons back and pay $105.69. That's about an additional $2.11 per pack.

As of May, 2016 you can bring back 100 cigars without paying duty. This includes Cuban cigars, which are now legal to bring into the country.

More info can be obtained at: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/53/kw/cigarettes%20limit/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ3NjA2ODU2OS9zaWQvNGZqVDVKKm0%3D

Take care,

Mike

Edited by MMastell

We have stopped buying with the "pick it up the morning of disembarkation" requirement. Tried that once and it took over an hour! The morning of disembarkation is stressful enough, thank you.

I have never seen or heard of customs enforcing duty requirements on the ship, or even as people get off. Agree with other posters - declare what you have; they don't even read the forms.

(Having said that, if one person is getting off and wheeling off a stack of boxes clearly containing liquor, that might get attention!)

If you go over your one litre allowance then the tax will be $13.50 per proof gallon. A proof gallon is a gallon of liquid that is 100 proof, or 50% alcohol. The tax is adjusted, depending on the percentage of alcohol of the product. On most items it will be about $5 per litre. It isn't a large amount.

On cigarettes you will be charged $105.69 per 1000 cigarettes over your allotted 200. So you can bring five cartons back and pay $105.69. That's about an additional $2.11 per pack.

As of May, 2016 you can bring back 100 cigars without paying duty. This includes Cuban cigars, which are now legal to bring into the country.

More info can be obtained at: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/53/kw/cigarettes%20limit/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ3NjA2ODU2OS9zaWQvNGZqVDVKKm0%3D

Take care,

Mike

All that is IF they decide to bother with doing the math and imposing taxes. I'm sure for personal recreational use, they don't bother. Total discretion. We've been "Over the limit" a number of times, openly declared everything and they didn't care.

I am of the declare what I bring and will pay if asked line of thinking. If you are caught bring in undeclared item you can be looking at confiscation of product plus fines. If you declare you may or may not be asked to pay taxes.

Never seen customs on the ship but have seen them in port including a special station to pay taxes.

Or Havana Club

I am beyond jealous. They allowed you to bring back Havana Club? We were told while visiting Mexico that we could not bring Havana Club back into the states. Luckily a lady, from Canada, at the airport purchased the bottle so we wouldn't have to throw it away

I had read about the new "pick it up the morning of debarkation" requirement, so I was incredibly surprised when I bought liquor on the Sunshine last month and they delivered it to my room the evening before. There were people who bought liquor on the last day, and they were able to pick it up that same evening (it wasn't delivered to their room).

I had read about the new "pick it up the morning of debarkation" requirement, so I was incredibly surprised when I bought liquor on the Sunshine last month and they delivered it to my room the evening before. There were people who bought liquor on the last day, and they were able to pick it up that same evening (it wasn't delivered to their room).

Maybe i'll get lucky on the Valor next week!!!