Anyone recently purchase liquor onboard to take home?

tony_g51181

I am about to board the Valor in 8 days and a friend of mine planned on bringing home a good bit of alcohol for his wedding and I had heard that now you have to get your liquor the day you get off the ship and now they have customs on the ships and have a print out of what you purchased?

Is this still the case??? Any input would be helpful!

Yep. All usual customs restrictions apply. I have gotten away with two bottles and not been charged but I wouldn't try more than that. I like a local rum you can only get in the Bahamas so it would be worth it to me if they did charge.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Forums mobile app

May I ask what rum you buy in the Bahamas? Also wondering how long is it taking to pick it up.[emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by siestakeys04

If visiting Nassau take a short walk to the actually Distillery and you can try the rums each has a unique taste! I could not sip on Bacardi as my dad loves it I tried the John Watling and I could sip on it. Havana club has several different ones all with a different taste and hard to explain but does not compare to Bacardi.

I am about to board the Valor in 8 days and a friend of mine planned on bringing home a good bit of alcohol for his wedding and I had heard that now you have to get your liquor the day you get off the ship and now they have customs on the ships and have a print out of what you purchased?

Is this still the case??? Any input would be helpful!

I was on the Valor 5 weeks ago and I bought 5 bottles. we was supposed to pick it up at 6 am. there was several bottles in the lounge. mine was there but there was several people waiting for theirs. we got out of the lounge at 6:30 and people were really getting mad. I don't blame them.:(

as for as customs, we walked off the ship and through customs with no problem.:) the custom man asked how much liquor we had and I said 5 bottles and he said have a good day!

I guess it is hit and miss on rather you pay customs or not!

buy the way, the Valor was one of our best cruises out of 20.:)

May I ask what rum you buy in the Bahamas? Also wondering how long is it taking to pick it up.[emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's called Ricardo. They don't export it so I can only get it there. It's very smooth and great for sipping or mixing. I've bought every flavor. Oh yeah, it's cheap!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Forums mobile app

I was on the Valor 5 weeks ago and I bought 5 bottles. we was supposed to pick it up at 6 am. there was several bottles in the lounge. mine was there but there was several people waiting for theirs. we got out of the lounge at 6:30 and people were really getting mad. I don't blame them.:(

as for as customs, we walked off the ship and through customs with no problem.:) the custom man asked how much liquor we had and I said 5 bottles and he said have a good day!

I guess it is hit and miss on rather you pay customs or not!

buy the way, the Valor was one of our best cruises out of 20.:)

Ok I thanks for that bit of info I just was wondering if customs was on the ship.

Ok I thanks for that bit of info I just was wondering if customs was on the ship.

Years ago they used to come on board and set up a table where you had to report if you went over the limit. My buddy bought more in booze and cigarettes than he paid for his cruise. He told them, they let him go. Go figure.

After a cruise to San Juan and a purchase of 12 bottles (great prices and buy 1 get 2 free) on one cruise and purchases of at least 4 cartons of cigarettes on numerous cruises, we have never paid extra duty. We have always declared everything we bought. We have always been waived thru with a smile and "Have a nice day". Ports and customs are trying to get as many people processed as possible in a very short period of time. I think "honesty is the best policy". We have processed through New Orleans, Fort Lauderdale, Miami and Mobile.

After a cruise to San Juan and a purchase of 12 bottles (great prices and buy 1 get 2 free) on one cruise and purchases of at least 4 cartons of cigarettes on numerous cruises, we have never paid extra duty. We have always declared everything we bought. We have always been waived thru with a smile and "Have a nice day". Ports and customs are trying to get as many people processed as possible in a very short period of time. I think "honesty is the best policy". We have processed through New Orleans, Fort Lauderdale, Miami and Mobile.

If you bought your booze in Puerto Rico, no tax or duty is due. It is US territory.

Can bring it back if visiting Cuba.

If you live anywhere besides the US...... I just packed mine in my luggage. I wrote bottle rum on my declaration. I figured I would just play dumb if I got caught. I'm good at that.

Edited by joeyancho