Ports and Passports Question....

CharlaneOT

Ok, so say you get stuck in Country "A" (anywhere in the world) without a valid Passport? You would head to the nearest US Embassy, Consul, Consul Representative and seek to get the proper document to get you back into the USA. Assuming you need to fly, you will need the proper document to even board a plane (since the airlines are liable if they board anyone without proper documentation). This means you need a Passport! If you have a valid Passport which is not in your possession (lost, forgotten, etc) the Consul will be able to verify this fact and issue you a replacement. This takes time and you will first need to go to a local photographer and get new Passport Photos. If it happens on a weekend or holiday....the entire process can be further delayed because many in Department of State do not work weekends/holidays. This actually happened to a friend of ours (a Policeman) who had his Passport stolen on an Israeli Beach while on a Celebrity Cruise. Since he had a valid Passport the Consul was able to get him an emergency replacement...but it still took 2 days (fortunately we were in Israel for that period of time). But he wasted 2 (of a total of 3) days in Israel getting photos and simply waiting. During that time he had to cancel 2 excursions (the ship took pity and did refund his excursion cost) and never got to see much of Israel other then the Consulate). The sad (and embarrassing) part of this story is that an experienced Policeman left his (and his wife's) Passport sitting in a backpack on a beach in Tel Aviv while they went swimming...despite knowing that you should never leave unattended valuables on a beach.

But if this had happened in a place like St Maarten, and he never had a Passport, the procedure would take even longer (nothing is certain with our government).

Here is a link to the State Department site about lost or stolen Passports (note this does not refer to somebody who has not even been issued a Passport).

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/emergencies/lost-or-stolen-passports-abroad.html

If you were to be stuck on an island on a Saturday, you would have to wait around until Monday to even start the replacement procedure. If you were lucky, you might get a replacement late the same day (Monday) but more likely would have to wait at least one day (perhaps more). To be blunt, you are at the mercy of the US Authority (on the island) to obtain the appropriate emergency document (or Passport) that would allow you to board a flight home. If you have never been issued a Passport and are essentially unknown to the Department of State...getting a Passport or other emergency document will be subject to even more scrutiny (and time).

If you are lucky and get stuck in the USVI or PR....no problem. Otherwise, roll the dice as you are totally dependent on a US representative (you have to reach them to get any help). And keep in mind that some islands do not even have a US Official who can help...and are served from the Consul/Embassy on another island. For example, if you got stuck on St Lucia (a common cruise port) the nearest US representative is based on Barbados.

And then there are the potential issues about meeting the requirements of a host country. For example, if you get stuck in Mexico...not only do you not have your Passport, but you also lack the required Mexican Entry Form (not required if you arrive and depart on the same cruise ship). If you are leaving from an airport you need to present this form (normally validated when you enter Mexico) at the airline ticket counter. Not having this form would subject you to more hassles (which will mean further delays and a possible fine). At this point you would be at the mercy of the Mexican authorities....and you should hope that you are dealing with an official who has mercy in his/her heart :). We mention Mexico because we live there part of the year....and are very careful not to lose that entry form.

And perhaps you are confident that your cruise ship will take care of you. Nope...because they are gone. They do have an agent who may or may not become your best friend, but that is again rolling the dice. Since we do a lot of independent travel, if we are on a cruise (anywhere) and going off on our own...we try to take the name, address and phone number of the ship's agent. Only recently have we been able to get a direct phone number to reach our ship (this happened during a recent HAL cruise in Northern Europe). We are not sure how many lines will now provide a direct number to reach a ship...but in any case, most cruisers would not even think to ask (or carry) such info.

Hank

P.S. There is at least one very experienced senior cruise ship employee (Brucemuzz) lurking on CC..and if he sees this post we hope he jumps in with several of his first-person tales or woe.

While stories about people missing the ship may not be numerous on CC they do appear from time to time and none of them focus on how difficult it was to get home. The worst I've read was the story of a lady that fell and broke her hip and it took three days to get home but the story teller didn't say how much of that time was spent stabilizing her for travel and arranging the travel. The State Department is going to do everything it can to ensure you get home as quickly as possible, as will the host government. Of course an overstay at Senor Frogs will be met with a different response than a medical emergency. As long as one is willing to accept the low risk and potential delay then traveling without a passport on a closed loop cruise is a viable option.

Well, you are going to find this shocking but not every one that cruises is here on CC and not everyone that gets in a pickle is going to come back and tell the world they screwed up.

In other words, you don't have any factual knowledge either.

Ok, so say you get stuck in Country "A" (anywhere in the world) without a valid Passport? You would head to the nearest US Embassy, Consul, Consul Representative and seek to get the proper document to get you back into the USA. Assuming you need to fly, you will need the proper document to even board a plane (since the airlines are liable if they board anyone without proper documentation). This means you need a Passport! If you have a valid Passport which is not in your possession (lost, forgotten, etc) the Consul will be able to verify this fact and issue you a replacement. This takes time and you will first need to go to a local photographer and get new Passport Photos. If it happens on a weekend or holiday....the entire process can be further delayed because many in Department of State do not work weekends/holidays. This actually happened to a friend of ours (a Policeman) who had his Passport stolen on an Israeli Beach while on a Celebrity Cruise. Since he had a valid Passport the Consul was able to get him an emergency replacement...but it still took 2 days (fortunately we were in Israel for that period of time). But he wasted 2 (of a total of 3) days in Israel getting photos and simply waiting. During that time he had to cancel 2 excursions (the ship took pity and did refund his excursion cost) and never got to see much of Israel other then the Consulate). The sad (and embarrassing) part of this story is that an experienced Policeman left his (and his wife's) Passport sitting in a backpack on a beach in Tel Aviv while they went swimming...despite knowing that you should never leave unattended valuables on a beach.

But if this had happened in a place like St Maarten, and he never had a Passport, the procedure would take even longer (nothing is certain with our government).

Here is a link to the State Department site about lost or stolen Passports (note this does not refer to somebody who has not even been issued a Passport).

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/emergencies/lost-or-stolen-passports-abroad.html

If you were to be stuck on an island on a Saturday, you would have to wait around until Monday to even start the replacement procedure. If you were lucky, you might get a replacement late the same day (Monday) but more likely would have to wait at least one day (perhaps more). To be blunt, you are at the mercy of the US Authority (on the island) to obtain the appropriate emergency document (or Passport) that would allow you to board a flight home. If you have never been issued a Passport and are essentially unknown to the Department of State...getting a Passport or other emergency document will be subject to even more scrutiny (and time).

If you are lucky and get stuck in the USVI or PR....no problem. Otherwise, roll the dice as you are totally dependent on a US representative (you have to reach them to get any help). And keep in mind that some islands do not even have a US Official who can help...and are served from the Consul/Embassy on another island. For example, if you got stuck on St Lucia (a common cruise port) the nearest US representative is based on Barbados.

And then there are the potential issues about meeting the requirements of a host country. For example, if you get stuck in Mexico...not only do you not have your Passport, but you also lack the required Mexican Entry Form (not required if you arrive and depart on the same cruise ship). If you are leaving from an airport you need to present this form (normally validated when you enter Mexico) at the airline ticket counter. Not having this form would subject you to more hassles (which will mean further delays and a possible fine). At this point you would be at the mercy of the Mexican authorities....and you should hope that you are dealing with an official who has mercy in his/her heart :). We mention Mexico because we live there part of the year....and are very careful not to lose that entry form.

And perhaps you are confident that your cruise ship will take care of you. Nope...because they are gone. They do have an agent who may or may not become your best friend, but that is again rolling the dice. Since we do a lot of independent travel, if we are on a cruise (anywhere) and going off on our own...we try to take the name, address and phone number of the ship's agent. Only recently have we been able to get a direct phone number to reach our ship (this happened during a recent HAL cruise in Northern Europe). We are not sure how many lines will now provide a direct number to reach a ship...but in any case, most cruisers would not even think to ask (or carry) such info.

Hank

P.S. There is at least one very experienced senior cruise ship employee (Brucemuzz) lurking on CC..and if he sees this post we hope he jumps in with several of his first-person tales or woe.

Lots of speculation, but you clearly don't have any factual knowledge either.

I've always wondered when/if/how the ship makes the call to go into your room and check for your passport. I hear here (!) that if you leave your passport in the safe, they will leave it on shore for you. But are there any cases of that passport passing you in transit?

The one story of the author left in the Bahamas comes to mind and his wife told ships crew he had money and a cell phone. But he didn't have a passport at all.

I've always been curious. I'm from Canada, so naturally require a passport to travel on a US-departing cruise. I carry my passport off because I'm used to carrying it. I regularly go to concerts/games/dinner in the states (deteoit) and there is no safe to put it in :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

It kind of seems that we are discussing apples and oranges here, however, we feel most of it isn't even in a fruit basket!

We always, always have our passports on our person whenever we step on any foreign soil.

If we were to have any situation arise where we would need to prove who we were and/or arrange any flight transportation home, we have those ($$ and ID) with us.

We use our common sense and do our utmost to not put ourselves in situations that would lead to having our passports stolen or lost.

We also do not wear our fancy jewelry into ports, and when I say we have our passports on us, I mean on our person....not in a fanny pack (telling everyone that all our importance stuff is in here!!), or small purse that can be cut off in passing.

We have traveled extensively during our lifetimes and this way of doing things has always proven to be the best for us....IMHO.....:D

Greselda, we do the same. This discussion rages on CC from time to time, and it amazes me how strongly some people try to impose their views about it. We are all adults, and we will make our own decisions.

We carry our passports ashore with us, because the passport is your government's request to the host country to treat you fairly and well. I want the document with me that says my country has my back. I paid for my passport to provide me with my country's protection - why would I leave it locked away in a safe on board the ship where I can't get at it if I need it? Keeping my passport safe while ashore is no more of a challenge than keeping my money, my credit card, and my cellphone safe.

Canadians NOTE: as Canadians ashore for the day in Puerto Rico, we were demanded to produce our passports when we were in line to re-board our ship. Americans in line were not asked for theirs, but we were. We were very glad we could produce them.

We carry our passports ashore with us, because the passport is your government's request to the host country to treat you fairly and well. I want the document with me that says my country has my back. I paid for my passport to provide me with my country's protection

Does this mean you would not sail on a cruiseline where the ship keeps your passport?

Just asking.

Good question, and yes that has happened to me, both times on Med cruises. I'm not happy about it, but on those cruises I trusted the cruise line to produce my passport if I needed it while ashore. I also understood that for some of those countries, the passengers would not be able to freely get off and back on unless the cruise line met the country criteria.

I did, however, carry a photocopy of the important pages in my passport with me while on shore. You're making a fair point (I assume) that sometimes we have to take calculated risks when we travel. I have done that when I had to. But if the choice is left up to me, I like to have my passport with me when I'm in another country (and that includes the USA).

Hummm...we were actually right behind a couple that was boarding a cruise (sorry, cannot remember the cruise line:(), when it appeared that they were being asked for their passports, saying they would be kept on the ship. I believe that they were from Canada....their passports looked different from my USA passport, but I could be wrong.

The lady began arguing with the crew member and we could hear her say, "I will not give you my passport. I will give you a copy, but my passport stays with me!" After a while, and a few more crew/officer members talking to her, they took a copy and she kept her passport.

Just saying.......:)

Canadians NOTE: as Canadians ashore for the day in Puerto Rico, we were demanded to produce our passports when we were in line to re-board our ship. Americans in line were not asked for theirs, but we were. We were very glad we could produce them.

I find that very hard to believe. When you are going through the first part of security, you need some sort of government ID to validate that the 'John Smith' on the Cruise line card is the same John Smith. Perhaps that Island did not understand that a Canadian Driver's License was a valid form of ID.

Furthermore, how would they even know you were Canadian? Did you say 'eh after every question? :D

Does this mean you would not sail on a cruiseline where the ship keeps your passport?

Just asking.

Generally, folks will not even know if a line is going to hold their passports until they check-in at embarkation! On over 100 cruises we have never received advance notification. And whether or not Passports are held usually has to do with ports/itinerary. At certain ports the authorities require all Passports to be available for inspection. In many cases this is done behind the scenes (while passengers are often ashore) under the scrutiny of the ship's pursers staff. We actually watched this process on the Prinsendam as local authorities were going through Passports in the Stuyvesant Room (on Dolphin Deck) while several purser staff looked on.

In cases where Passports are held (sometimes for most of a long cruise) passengers can usually get them back by simply asking. We have done this many times (because I needed my Passport to rent a car) and usually been asked to return the Passport when we returned to the ship. Holding Passports is quite common on certain European and Asian itineraries..and it has also happened to us on one cruise to some South America countries.

This is not a relevant issue for Caribbean and Mexican cruises for those with USA or Canadian Passports.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Lots of speculation, but you clearly don't have any factual knowledge either.
I acknowledge that this was not directed at me since I have not previously posted on this thread. But I can provide some factual knowledge from https://barbados.usembassy.gov/service.html

The American Citizens Services (ACS) office of U.S. Embassy Bridgetown serves U.S. citizens living in and visiting Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, the British Virgin Islands, Dominica, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Montserrat, St. Barthélemy, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, French St. Martin, and St. Vincent and the Grenadines. Most of the services we provide are also available at our Embassy in Grenada and our Consular Agencies in Antigua and Martinique.

U.S. citizens in Dutch St. Maarten, Saba and St. Eustatius are served by the U.S. Consulate General in Curaçao.

Basically if you are stranded without a passport in Barbados, Grenada, Antigua, Martinique or Curaçao you will be lucky enough to be able to have US Consular support on those islands, and will probably get a replacement passport in a few (possibly one) business days if you have photos etc. Note that the Antigua office is open only 3 half days a week; Martinique on 2 days a week. If you are on any of the other islands mentioned (such as Sint Maarten) you have to figure out how to get to a Consulate on another island (and generally in another country) WITHOUT A PASSPORT. That is not going to happen "immediately".

I've always wondered when/if/how the ship makes the call to go into your room and check for your passport. I hear here (!) that if you leave your passport in the safe, they will leave it on shore for you. But are there any cases of that passport passing you in transit?

The one story of the author left in the Bahamas comes to mind and his wife told ships crew he had money and a cell phone. But he didn't have a passport at all.

I've always been curious. I'm from Canada, so naturally require a passport to travel on a US-departing cruise. I carry my passport off because I'm used to carrying it. I regularly go to concerts/games/dinner in the states (deteoit) and there is no safe to put it in :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

If you're going to be late, you ring the ship or the port agent, you tell them you're going to be late, you tell them where your passport is, and you request that they hand it to the agent. (If you don't tell the ship you'll be late, you can't expect them to do that. They might, but I wouldn't count on it.)

As for photo i.d. generally, it isn't needed in my experience. Certainly I never carry it - not even in the USA. I have a credit card and other documents which will identify me if I can't identify myself. I suppose it's a feature of coming from England - no identity cards.