Ports and Passports Question....

CharlaneOT

We are on an Eastern Carribean sailing of the PRIDE, and I've seen a lot of conflicting information about passports and whether or not you take them off the ships. We have passport cards that we are using, and possibly due to the new push for the REAL ID act, I'm curious if we need them when we get off in the Bahamas, or is the sail and sign enough..?

You don't need them to get back on the ship. Just your S&S card, and sometimes your driver's license.

You do, however, need one to fly home or to the next port if you miss the ship. This is why we take ours with us just in case. Better safe than sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My wife and I also have a picture of our passports on my phone. As if they are ever stolen or lost all you have to do is walk into the US embassy and they will issue you another one immediately if you have the photo of your previous one. otherwise you may be there a day or so trying to get a passport to get off the island.

The problem with the above statement is very few islands have an embassy or any location able to issue you the documents necessary. You will more than likely be spending the night wherever you are waiting for approval to fly out.

I think you would be surprised. I lived on three different Caribbean islands over the past 15 years. Almost all of them do. They don't have a full blown embassy with Ambassadors, but they have a little office somewhere that handles these types of things. My daughter lost hers in Aruba when we lived there and she took her picture to the airport in Aruba and the US customs agents there gave her authorization to fly back into the US.

We are on an Eastern Carribean sailing of the PRIDE, and I've seen a lot of conflicting information about passports and whether or not you take them off the ships. We have passport cards that we are using, and possibly due to the new push for the REAL ID act, I'm curious if we need them when we get off in the Bahamas, or is the sail and sign enough..?

passport cards can only be used at land and sea crossings with Mexico and Canada. would be useless in the Caribbean. it's good as an ID, but your not getting back into the US with it except by land or sea from Canada and Mexico. passport book and passport card are not the same.

Edited by jd10013

passport cards can only be used at land and sea crossings with Mexico and Canada. would be useless in the Caribbean. it's good as an ID, but your not getting back into the US with it except by land or sea from Canada and Mexico. passport book and passport card are not the same.

We opted for the passport card because we do not travel internationally if not for a cruise. Passport cards are good for land and sea crossings in Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. My question is mainly whether or not we need them to get on the boat again.

My wife and I also have a picture of our passports on my phone. As if they are ever stolen or lost all you have to do is walk into the US embassy and they will issue you another one immediately if you have the photo of your previous one. otherwise you may be there a day or so trying to get a passport to get off the island.

I think you would be surprised. I lived on three different Caribbean islands over the past 15 years. Almost all of them do. They don't have a full blown embassy with Ambassadors, but they have a little office somewhere that handles these types of things. My daughter lost hers in Aruba when we lived there and she took her picture to the airport in Aruba and the US customs agents there gave her authorization to fly back into the US.

I hope you note the difference in your two statements. The first specifically said "embassy", which is significantly different than the "consular offices" which is what the second may be referring to.

Words matter, especially when you are talking about governmental issues. And even at consular locations, you don't just walk in and walk out in a few minutes with a passport.

Finally, the airport at Aruba is a preclearance facility. When you are processed through immigration there, you are done. It is FAR from the same thing as getting a passport and going through immigration at a non-preclearance location.

Not true.

The passport card is also valid for sea entry from countries that are participants in the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, which includes most of the Caribbean.

You can read about the WHTI at the US government website LINK HERE.

some ports required a government issued photo I.D. + your S & S card to enter the port area to board the ship

The cruise line will usually tell you before you leave the ship what I.D. is required ...we use our D.L. unless they say a passport is needed

In the Bahamas, you need your ship card and if over 16 a photo ID, it can be a driver's license, your passport card, a passport, or any other government issued ID.

Edited by zqvol

You do NOT need a passport at all at any of those ports, if you are American. Leave your passport in your cabin safe. IF..and that's a BIG IF, you should miss the ship, they will leave your possessions on the dock with the port authority....

You DL is the same size as your ship's key...take that ashore. You should ALWAYS have ID on you wherever you go!

You don't need them. Just an ID that matches S&S.

Important Note:

If a passenger shows up to a premium/luxury cruise line ship at embarkation without a passport (regardless of the itinerary and assurance of CC posters that "you don't need one on a closed loop cruise from the US), you are in for a big surprise.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Important Note:

If a passenger shows up to a premium/luxury cruise line ship at embarkation without a passport (regardless of the itinerary and assurance of CC posters that "you don't need one on a closed loop cruise from the US), you are in for a big surprise.

Roger that!!

On Crystal, Silversea, Regent, Seabourn for sure, you turn over your passport when you get your room keys. They process all of the immigration work for you, except for those countries that require a face-to-face visit with the immigration officers. So on those cruises, you don't keep it in your safe, you don't carry it ashore (unless required by the local authorities), and you don't think "should I take a passport on this trip?"

Important Note:

While true it is irrelevant to what is being discussed which is "what do you need to get back on the ship in a port", not "what do I need to board the ship at embarkation". In a port you need your cabin key and a photo ID.

Absurd- there are very few US embassies in the Caribbean- many islands have no facility whatsoever. Try St. Maarten, for example. "Immediately" is a strong word - to describe getting a replacement passport on an island with no embassy or consulate - and simply a picture of a passport on a phone. And with no such evidence - to think it might just take a "day or so" --- are you kidding?

While true it is irrelevant to what is being discussed which is "what do you need to get back on the ship in a port", not "what do I need to board the ship at embarkation". In a port you need your cabin key and a photo ID.

But they became relevant because of the extrapolation being done by others downthread. The impression was being left that passports are never needed in the Caribbean, when that is most definitely false. There are two authorities that need to be considered - governmental and operational. Even if a government says you don't need it, if a cruiseline says you do....you do.

But they became relevant because of the extrapolation being done by others downthread. The impression was being left that passports are never needed in the Caribbean, when that is most definitely false. There are two authorities that need to be considered - governmental and operational. Even if a government says you don't need it, if a cruiseline says you do....you do.

Then the PP should have quoted someone down thread discussing that issue instead of someone clearly discussing the requirements for re-boarding in order to avoid confusion (unless of course those premium/luxury lines do require passengers to carry their passports off the ship in order to get back on).

I use the passport to travel from CAN to departure port, usually US. When I get onboard I lock it in safe with my drivers license. I use S&S card when embarking/disembarking on ports. I only grab passport when I disembark to fly home.

I know some people say the safe is not very safe however, I am sure cruise line would help replace passport if it was robbed from a cabin. It is not a worry for me.

The problem with the above statement is very few islands have an embassy or any location able to issue you the documents necessary. You will more than likely be spending the night wherever you are waiting for approval to fly out.

Actually, the reality is that if you somehow get stuck on an island you will likely be there for a few days (at your own expense). Even obtaining an emergency passport can take days, depending on whether you already own a valid passport. And keep in mind that no airline is going to allow you on an aircraft going to the USA unless you hold a valid Passport.

Hank

Actually, the reality is that if you somehow get stuck on an island you will likely be there for a few days (at your own expense). Even obtaining an emergency passport can take days, depending on whether you already own a valid passport. And keep in mind that no airline is going to allow you on an aircraft going to the USA unless you hold a valid Passport.

Hank

I'm just curious if this is from personal knowledge or just what you have read on CC, or some other site. I don't think I have ever read on CC of anyone who has missed a ship and had to get a passport on an island, and I am very curious why you think it might take days.

I'm just curious if this is from personal knowledge or just what you have read on CC, or some other site. I don't think I have ever read on CC of anyone who has missed a ship and had to get a passport on an island, and I am very curious why you think it might take days.

Well, you are going to find this shocking but not every one that cruises is here on CC and not everyone that gets in a pickle is going to come back and tell the world they screwed up.

Well, you are going to find this shocking but not every one that cruises is here on CC and not everyone that gets in a pickle is going to come back and tell the world they screwed up.

Well, it does happen from time to time and people do post about it. Here's a link to one traveler's story: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2121215. I have read a few such stories over the years here on CC, mostly third party. The long and short of it is that the facts and circumstances of each traveler's case will determine how long it will take to get the documentation needed to get home and from all that I've read it's much faster than most people think it would be.

Ok, so say you get stuck in Country "A" (anywhere in the world) without a valid Passport? You would head to the nearest US Embassy, Consul, Consul Representative and seek to get the proper document to get you back into the USA. Assuming you need to fly, you will need the proper document to even board a plane (since the airlines are liable if they board anyone without proper documentation). This means you need a Passport! If you have a valid Passport which is not in your possession (lost, forgotten, etc) the Consul will be able to verify this fact and issue you a replacement. This takes time and you will first need to go to a local photographer and get new Passport Photos. If it happens on a weekend or holiday....the entire process can be further delayed because many in Department of State do not work weekends/holidays. This actually happened to a friend of ours (a Policeman) who had his Passport stolen on an Israeli Beach while on a Celebrity Cruise. Since he had a valid Passport the Consul was able to get him an emergency replacement...but it still took 2 days (fortunately we were in Israel for that period of time). But he wasted 2 (of a total of 3) days in Israel getting photos and simply waiting. During that time he had to cancel 2 excursions (the ship took pity and did refund his excursion cost) and never got to see much of Israel other then the Consulate). The sad (and embarrassing) part of this story is that an experienced Policeman left his (and his wife's) Passport sitting in a backpack on a beach in Tel Aviv while they went swimming...despite knowing that you should never leave unattended valuables on a beach.

But if this had happened in a place like St Maarten, and he never had a Passport, the procedure would take even longer (nothing is certain with our government).

Here is a link to the State Department site about lost or stolen Passports (note this does not refer to somebody who has not even been issued a Passport).

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/emergencies/lost-or-stolen-passports-abroad.html

If you were to be stuck on an island on a Saturday, you would have to wait around until Monday to even start the replacement procedure. If you were lucky, you might get a replacement late the same day (Monday) but more likely would have to wait at least one day (perhaps more). To be blunt, you are at the mercy of the US Authority (on the island) to obtain the appropriate emergency document (or Passport) that would allow you to board a flight home. If you have never been issued a Passport and are essentially unknown to the Department of State...getting a Passport or other emergency document will be subject to even more scrutiny (and time).

If you are lucky and get stuck in the USVI or PR....no problem. Otherwise, roll the dice as you are totally dependent on a US representative (you have to reach them to get any help). And keep in mind that some islands do not even have a US Official who can help...and are served from the Consul/Embassy on another island. For example, if you got stuck on St Lucia (a common cruise port) the nearest US representative is based on Barbados.

And then there are the potential issues about meeting the requirements of a host country. For example, if you get stuck in Mexico...not only do you not have your Passport, but you also lack the required Mexican Entry Form (not required if you arrive and depart on the same cruise ship). If you are leaving from an airport you need to present this form (normally validated when you enter Mexico) at the airline ticket counter. Not having this form would subject you to more hassles (which will mean further delays and a possible fine). At this point you would be at the mercy of the Mexican authorities....and you should hope that you are dealing with an official who has mercy in his/her heart :). We mention Mexico because we live there part of the year....and are very careful not to lose that entry form.

And perhaps you are confident that your cruise ship will take care of you. Nope...because they are gone. They do have an agent who may or may not become your best friend, but that is again rolling the dice. Since we do a lot of independent travel, if we are on a cruise (anywhere) and going off on our own...we try to take the name, address and phone number of the ship's agent. Only recently have we been able to get a direct phone number to reach our ship (this happened during a recent HAL cruise in Northern Europe). We are not sure how many lines will now provide a direct number to reach a ship...but in any case, most cruisers would not even think to ask (or carry) such info.

Hank

P.S. There is at least one very experienced senior cruise ship employee (Brucemuzz) lurking on CC..and if he sees this post we hope he jumps in with several of his first-person tales or woe.

Edited by Hlitner