Didn't like the Pirates menu? Here's a new one!

Ex techie

Oh joy. I can have Mango Soup.

I'm gluten-free and other than the boring and bland everyday offerings, that is the ONLY thing marked gluten free that I would eat.

DISLIKE!

Actually, if you speak to the head server a day in advance, they will make special GF foods for you. People with special food needs are not limited to the menu, provided arrangements are made ahead of time.

That's too bad, I was really looking forward to trying the beef short rib entree, now they are on a salad [emoji26]

Well, they always had the BBQ beef salad. I like that also. But my favorites (no longer on the menu) were the pot stickers, and the ribs entree.

We were the very first (so our waiter said) to try the new menu.

We thought it was overall pretty great and IIRC an improvement on the old one.

What did we try:

Samosa- very good. On par with local Indian restaurants.

Crab cake- good but my standards for this particular item are really high so maybe an unfair assessment

Shrimp- OK

"Boucanier"- ABSOLUTELY the best dish all night next to lamb. It was confusing to understand what it was from the descriptor and I don't really like sausage, but it turned out to basically be a savory bread pudding (sort of) with a slice of sausage on top, easily removed. So. Good.

Carrot soup- quite good, a tasty combination

Mango soup- also good, too sweet for me but my mom loved it and the flavor was definitely good

Fennel salad- good, not memorable in anyway, really, sorry?

Romaine wedge- quite good, the toasted nuts were excellent, my mom was very pleased

Johnny cake- only a couple slices given to a table of 5, but it was nice, sweeter than some traditional cornbreads but flavorful and kids loved

Grouper- good but not great. Flavors nice but somehow cruise ship fish is just never as good as I hope.

Jerk Chicken- also good but we had lunch in Grand Cayman earlier that day (hmm or day before?) and had jerk chicken which, of course, was kind of a lot better.

Lamb shank- This was the best thing I ate on the entire cruise. I tasted my husband's and asked for one, which I am usually too shy to do. Excellent, excellent, excellent.

I don't remember desserts off the top of my head, sorry! Was in a lamb coma.

Edited by the_dylaness

What did we try:

Samosa- very good. On par with local Indian restaurants.

Crab cake- good but my standards for this particular item are really high so maybe an unfair assessment

Shrimp- OK

"Boucanier"- ABSOLUTELY the best dish all night next to lamb. It was confusing to understand what it was from the descriptor and I don't really like sausage, but it turned out to basically be a savory bread pudding (sort of) with a slice of sausage on top, easily removed. So. Good.

Carrot soup- quite good, a tasty combination

Mango soup- also good, too sweet for me but my mom loved it and the flavor was definitely good

Fennel salad- good, not memorable in anyway, really, sorry?

Romaine wedge- quite good, the toasted nuts were excellent, my mom was very pleased

Johnny cake- only a couple slices given to a table of 5, but it was nice, sweeter than some traditional cornbreads but flavorful and kids loved

Grouper- good but not great. Flavors nice but somehow cruise ship fish is just never as good as I hope.

Jerk Chicken- also good but we had lunch in Grand Cayman earlier that day (hmm or day before?) and had jerk chicken which, of course, was kind of a lot better.

Lamb shank- This was the best thing I ate on the entire cruise. I tasted my husband's and asked for one, which I am usually too shy to do. Excellent, excellent, excellent.

Sadly, none of the new appetizers/soups are to my liking.

I'm not a fish/seafood person, but I'll give the jerk chicken, the lamb, and the strip loin a try in the future, before making a decision.

I love the Johnny Cake on DCL, but I'd prefer the pigeon-pea relish over the Mango Dip they now have.

The dessert menu for pirate night, apparently, hasn't changed.

Vegetarians in our group normally were served separate dishes, but on Pirate night with the new Pirate menu, they found the main choices tasty and better. it ended up being our best night for food, whereas with the old menu, it was usually the worst night for food.

Oh now that's interesting! I thought maybe it was like a meat & cheese plate but that sounds really interesting! I might have to try it. Its the sausage that would put me off

Thanks for taking the time and posting your thoughts!

Same here, none sound appealing to me either. But then the Pirate menu hasn't been a favorite of mine - any version they have had.

The problem I have with them that each of them has one or two components that I can't eat. They sound good enough, I just don't want to wind up with an upset tummy because I've eaten something I shouldn't.