Currently onboard Liberty of the Seas (09-Oct-2016)

hapster85

It is now Day 5 of your cruise, can you report if the beer pub is selling the 10 punch drink card. They will have a signs up at the bar if it is. This is were I bought mine in July.

Thanks!!

Checked twice on Day 5 (yesterday) and again today, but didn't see any signage.

I'll resume tomorrow, but wanted to post that we turned back for Cozumel about 45 minutes ago, due to a medical emergency. Don't know any other details. The Captain said he'd have a better idea of impact on arrival in Houston tomorrow morning.

Day 4

Our first port of call was to Coxen Hole on Roatan, Honduras and for four of us, it was a beach day. The other two decided to go exploring and shopping. The ship docked on time at 8 o'clock, and we were on the pier by 8:30.

Our choice of beach was a short boat ride across the bay from the ship, to Maya Key. A very small island, with a white sandy beach. We estimated 50 - 60 people had joined us, so not crowded at all. Lounge chairs everywhere.

The guys stayed on the beach, relaxing. The girls decided to go snorkeling off the pier. They said it was breathtaking, with a beautiful reef and lots of sea life.

The island includes an animal sanctuary, and around noon we ventured over to the monkey cage, where we got to go inside and interact with them. The was lots of fun. The monkeys were estimated to be 2 - 3 years of age, and very curious and friendly.

Afterwards we spent some time walking around the tiny island. At one, we were ready for our included lunch. It was simple, but quite good. By this time we were dry, and none of us wished to get wet again, so we decided to head back to the ship, as it was already 2, and the last boat back would be at 3 anyway.

Couldn't get back onboard the ship without exploring the port shops, of course. Surprisingly, we didn't buy anything and were back onboard by 3.

A dip in the solarium pool seemed to be in order since we were still in swim suits and it doesn't take long to work up a sweat in the Caribbean heat. We think this is the best time to go, while most people are still ashore. Very relaxing, swimming and chatting with the handful of others that were there.

After dinner, we spent time walking around the ship and socializing with our friends. The Love and Marriage game show was at 9:30, but we were all tired and most of us had "been there, done that", plus tomorrow was another early port day.

So it was off to bed, and the end of another wonderful day.

Day 5

Costa Maya, Mexico. A first for all of us. The first thing that stands out upon arrival is just how flat the land is. Not a hill in sight, as far as the eye can see. Flat, but lush with thick green vegetation giving the land an untouched feel, despite the modern buildings at the end of the pier. Though new, they blend right in to the surroundings. Yes, it's all obviously there for the tourists, with the obligatory souvenir shops and locals in native Mayan dress, but it was still fun.

Today's adventure is a dune buggy excursion. Our party of 6 divided into boys vs girls and the fun began. We had the 2 lead cars behind the tour guide, and once we were off the main road, the rest of the group of about 10 cars, kept disappearing from view. No worries though, as there was a second guide car bringing up the rear, so no one got lost.

While I can understand why it isn't mentioned in the brochure, they really should include a warning that you will get wet and dirty on this ride. Lots of mud puddles during the off road portion, and it was a blast. The girls got the dirtiest, and hands down had the most fun. We'd do it again in a heart beat, but we'd know to dress a little differently next time. We assume they don't mention the dirty part of the excursion for fear of scaring people away. Just wear old clothes and enjoy it!

The headliner this night is a ventriloquist, and though cheesy at times, was still very entertaining. We passed on the 70's disco inferno at 10, as everyone was worn out. Sometimes you'd think we were all in our late 70s instead of late 40s. Lol

Thus ended a fantastic day!

Day 6

Cozumel, Mexico. It's our first visit, but our friends have all been here before. Today we divide off as couples and do our own things, with one going fishing, the other (more) shopping, and us off to Chankanaab for fun with the dolphins.

This is the one we'd really been looking forward to, and we loved every minute of it. We were in the water with them for a full hour, being pushed on boogie boards, pulled along on belly rides, and interacting with 4 different dolphins. This was followed by about 15 minutes in the water with 3 manatees. And finally a sea lion show. Great fun! The pool and a private beach were also included, but after the sea lions, we were ready to head back to the port, and the ship.

They don't allow you to take your own cameras, of any type, into the encounter area, but we knew that going in; aside from not having a waterproof camera, with us both in the water, who would've taken pictures anyway? They're pushy with the pricy photo packages at Chankanaab, but we pushed back and eventually got a group of 6 photos at price we were happy with.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, about 2 ½ hours after we sailed from Cozumel, we had to turn back for a medical emergency. No details were given, nor were any expected beyond what pertained to us. Which was that our return to Houston would be delayed.

While getting ready for dinner, my wife unzips a pouch on her camera, and asks "what's this?" while holding up an envelope. I just burst into laughter. Remember the envelope of money I'd searched for a few days ago, and the last place I'd remembered seeing it was the hotel on Sunday morning? Things suddenly clicked into place. It had nearly fallen out of the backpack, and I'd thought to myself that I'd better put it somewhere more secure, before it got lost. Well it was secure all right. The joys of getting older.

The headliner this night was a comedian. He was quite good. I had a headache from laughing so much, by the time it was over. Since we didn't need to be up early, we stayed up a bit later. Or I should say, my wife did. I fell asleep before we even made it back to Cozumel.

Thus ended a very exciting day.

Edited by hapster85

Day 7

Final sea day. A bit more hectic than usual. The ship is estimated to arrive in Galveston more than 4 hours late, making our original flight time impossible to make. Air2Sea (ChoiceAir) automatically rebooked us, but I was not happy with the change. Mainly because they rebooked us Main Cabin, when we'd paid for Comfort. Plus the first flight appeared to be full and we didn't have seat assignments! Yeah, no. Anyway, got it taken care of, and on an earlier flight, too.

Can't recall the name of the ice show at the moment, but it was great. Today was an encore performance. We missed the first time on Tuesday. The boat was rolling quite a bit, and no one fell, so that made it even more impressive.

Didn't get around to packing until after dinner, and still not finished by show time. Carrying off your own luggage has its drawbacks. Lol. Just really not wanting the fun to end.

Tonight's show is Saturday Night Fever. Looking forward to this one, and it's about to start.

So, while it's not the end of the day, it's the end of this entry.

Thank you for taking the time to share while you were on vacationPNC84626!

We are going to be on Liberty of the Seas on November 6 for a 7 day cruise. I know we are going to Jamaica, grand caymens and Cozumel.

Does the entertainment venues book up fast so that you cannot get seats? I tried booking anything entertainment but it doesn't show any entertainment available for our cruise, except cupcake making and breakfast with the cartoon characters, which neither are our cup of tea.

Your week was the second week of our back 2 back, and we had a great time!

My understanding is that pub entertainment was cut fleetwide as of Oct 2. As to the entertainment venue question, no entertainment is pre booked on Liberty, all seats are offered on a first come basis.

If you are looking for some interesting things to do, we can definately recommend the Martini Mixology and Tasting class with Melvin at the R Bar on the Royal Promenade, and the Pasta Class and lunch at GiovaniS Table! Both excellent experiences!

All the shows we saw (In The Air, the Ice Show, Legends of Guitar, the Jazz Set, Sat Night Fever, and the 70s Set on the promenade) were excellent, and well worth your time! Also, we ate at all the Specialty Restaurants in our 2 weeks on the ship, and can say that we thought Giovani's was the best! Even the steak my wife had there was far better than the same steak she had at Chops.

We had the Ultimate Drink Package and loved the convenience and price. We also met some great bartenders. Melvin, Anna, and Raj in the R Bar, and Arminda and E in the Scooner Lounge, and Christina in the Pub! We also had the best room steward that we have ever had, but she signed off with us today. Thought the ship's staff was excellent and liked Jeffrey the Cruise Director and his staff, especially Hellena, or Bingo Mama!

Our second Liberty Cruise, first out of Galveston. Used the port parking and thought it was fine ($100 for 2 weeks). Today was a mess, but that was more because of the medical emergency than anything else. They did their best! Just a great 2 weeks!

Edited by fdthird

Day 8

The late arrival into Galveston meant we could sleep in a bit later, but we were both awake well before 6 am. Go figure. We enjoyed a last breakfast with our friends before disembarking. Then it was off to the airport. All things considered, our day went pretty well. We arrived home 3 hours later than originally planned, but with no hiccups.

Two of our friends had a bit more stress. They were delayed getting off the ship, not sure why. Then had a mad dash to the airport, but managed to make their flight. They landed nearly 40 minutes late, but made it home safe.

All in all, it was wonderful vacation.

Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

Did you have problem with bugs on land? Was the water temperature warm?

I got one or two mosquito bites while in Roatan. My wife a few bug bites of some sort, but I don't think they were mosquitoes. I saw mine. She never saw what got her, but they didn't leave characteristic mosquito bite marks. Anyway, it was nothing alarming. I honestly expected to see a lot more, because everywhere we went had wooded areas, especially Roatan and Costa Maya. Kind of surprised at how few bugs we saw, really.

Neither my wife nor I used any repellant, but at least two of our four friends did. Never heard anyone else from the ship complain about issues with bugs.

The water temps were great in all three places we visited. Very pleasant to walk right into. The ocean was actually warmer than the pools on the ship.

I got one or two mosquito bites while in Roatan. My wife a few bug bites of some sort, but I don't think they were mosquitoes. I saw mine. She never saw what got her, but they didn't leave characteristic mosquito bite marks. Anyway, it was nothing alarming. I honestly expected to see a lot more, because everywhere we went had wooded areas, especially Roatan and Costa Maya. Kind of surprised at how few bugs we saw, really.

Neither my wife nor I used any repellant, but at least two of our four friends did. Never heard anyone else from the ship complain about issues with bugs.

The water temps were great in all three places we visited. Very pleasant to walk right into. The ocean was actually warmer than the pools on the ship.

There were definitely no-see-ums in either Maya Key or the resort on Costa Maya. I'm still finding bites. They don't really itch and they are small red dots.

There were definitely no-see-ums in either Maya Key or the resort on Costa Maya. I'm still finding bites. They don't really itch and they are small red dots.

We were bittten by no-see-ums (biting midges) at Maya Key. Even wearing insect repellant. Not as bad as I've been bitten previously, but still half a dozen or so. And mine itched like crazy. :p I had one on the BOTTOM of my foot. Nobody puts insect repellant on the bottom of their feet when wearing sandals!

Edited by Coralc

Thank you for taking the time to share while you were on vacationPNC84626!

We are going to be on Liberty of the Seas on November 6 for a 7 day cruise. I know we are going to Jamaica, grand caymens and Cozumel.

Does the entertainment venues book up fast so that you cannot get seats? I tried booking anything entertainment but it doesn't show any entertainment available for our cruise, except cupcake making and breakfast with the cartoon characters, which neither are our cup of tea.

The nightly shows in the theatre are first come, first serve ... unless you're in a suite then you get a roped off area.

About the only thing where tickets are useful is for the Ice Show.

Have fun :)