Captain Hoyt

lorvit3

Wow. Anyone know the reason for his departure? I'm currently on Gem and have not asked.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The one mention I saw of it on here is he didn't get along with FDR or "impeded" the new administration in some way.

I know that Captain Evans Hoyt left NCL last year and is now with Carnival UK,

P&O Cruises and Cunard. Does anyone know what ship he is currently sailing?

He'll soon take command of P&O's Azura.

The one mention I saw of it on here is he didn't get along with FDR or "impeded" the new administration in some way.

Yep. He had the gall to politely disagree with the new management. Didn't last long after that.

• 1 month later...
I know that Captain Evans Hoyt left NCL last year and is now with Carnival UK,

P&O Cruises and Cunard. Does anyone know what ship he is currently sailing?

Hi, we have just had a magazine showing Captain Evans Hoyt is joining Azura on 10th January as Master. Just came onto here to see what NCLpassengers think of him as we join Azura the same day as he does.

Someone had previously mentioned him taking command of the Azura so thanks for confirming that. He is a wonderful person and you will like him. He's very friendly and approachable, and I know a lot of people will agree with me. It's NCL's loss and they are none the better for having let him go. Enjoy your cruise and please let us know of your experience with Captain Hoyt.

NCL's loss and Azura's gain.

I remember Captain Hoyt when the Spirit was doing the Boston-Bermuda run. We found him to be very personable when speaking with us, and we were pleased when he took over command of the Breakaway.

I wish him smooth sailing in his new venture.

How do you know who the captains are?

P&O's past passengers are part of their Peninsular Club and get a magazine twice yearly which gives a list of each ship and the senior crew on them for the next few cruises. As we sail at the weekend many of these Officers will already be on board.

How do you know who the captains are?

Staff like Captains, Cruise Directors and Concierges are discussed often here on the board, and I think there is a long running thread which notes changes.

I don't usually pay any attention in advance to who my Captain is, but if you sign on to your roll call and attend the Cruise Critic Meet & Greet on your sailing you are likely to meet the Captain as well as other Senior Staff. They also attend other past passenger gatherings. Some are more visible around the ship than others. Somewhere near the atrium, you'll find a picture gallery of all senior staff on that ship.

Maybe it's just me but I really don't care who the captain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Generally it's of no consequence, but sometimes it makes a huge difference.

Consider for example the Captain of the Costa Concordia, guilty of some monumentally bad judgement and probably criminal behavior which resulted in many deaths.

And also the Captain and crew of the Oceanos, who abandoned a sinking ship without a word to anyone, sounded no alarm, sent no SOS, and left 571 passengers to figure it out themselves. Two musicians and the CD sent an SOS, sounded the alarm, took charge of filling the lifeboats until the list of the ship prevented further launching. One musician then took charge of a 7 hour rescue mission involving 16 helicopters which airlifted each of the remaining passengers one at a time. The last one left the ship moments before the ship sank. Amazingly, none were lost, no thanks to the Captain.

It's in situations like this, or even maybe just a bit of a storm, when you appreciate the knowledge and professionalism of a Captain Hoyt.

Generally it's of no consequence, but sometimes it makes a huge difference.

Consider for example the Captain of the Costa Concordia, guilty of some monumentally bad judgement and probably criminal behavior which resulted in many deaths.

And also the Captain and crew of the Oceanos, who abandoned a sinking ship without a word to anyone, sounded no alarm, sent no SOS, and left 571 passengers to figure it out themselves. Two musicians and the CD sent an SOS, sounded the alarm, took charge of filling the lifeboats until the list of the ship prevented further launching. One musician then took charge of a 7 hour rescue mission involving 16 helicopters which airlifted each of the remaining passengers one at a time. The last one left the ship moments before the ship sank. Amazingly, none were lost, no thanks to the Captain.

It's in situations like this, or even maybe just a bit of a storm, when you appreciate the knowledge and professionalism of a Captain Hoyt.

Yes I understand that

But on a personal note of how nice a guy he is doesn't make any difference to my cruise experience

Yes I want him to be professional and do his job well not sail to close to some island and rip the bottom out of the boat and leave everyone to die

I feel the same about who the CD is makes no odds to as long as they do there job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Staff like Captains, Cruise Directors and Concierges are discussed often here on the board, and I think there is a long running thread which notes changes.

I don't usually pay any attention in advance to who my Captain is, but if you sign on to your roll call and attend the Cruise Critic Meet & Greet on your sailing you are likely to meet the Captain as well as other Senior Staff. They also attend other past passenger gatherings. Some are more visible around the ship than others. Somewhere near the atrium, you'll find a picture gallery of all senior staff on that ship.

Photos of the ship officers on the Gem are located just forward of the pool area, in the corridor near the games room, photography studio & library. Alas, on our last few Gem cruises, the captain did not show up for the Meet & Greet. Made me wonder if NCL put into effect a new policy that captains not attend. Otherwise, always thought it was a personal choice by the captain.

Photos of the ship officers on the Gem are located just forward of the pool area, in the corridor near the games room, photography studio & library. Alas, on our last few Gem cruises, the captain did not show up for the Meet & Greet. Made me wonder if NCL put into effect a new policy that captains not attend. Otherwise, always thought it was a personal choice by the captain.

Our last 3 NCL captain hasn't attended the M&G. Usually held by HD and some other officers. BA M&G was about 10 minutes tops - introductions by Prem, answered 2 questions and got out of there in a hurry.

Our last 3 NCL captain hasn't attended the M&G. Usually held by HD and some other officers. BA M&G was about 10 minutes tops - introductions by Prem, answered 2 questions and got out of there in a hurry.

I dont recall a M&G on any NCL cruise which did not have the Senior Staff from each Department represented. They usually were intoduced individually and some would have a few witty remarks. Usually the HD would ask for questions; no one usually has any, and they are soon out the door. The cards with direct phone numbers are given out, so if anyone has an issue, they can call the appropriate dept head directly and privately. I recall some where the Captain was there, but I'm sure it's at his discretion depending on other duties. Probably the sign of a good Captain it he's not there;).

You are probably more likely to see the Captain at the Latitudes Party (although probably briefly) and the functions held for Gold/Platinum. We attended the Gold/Plat event held in the Library on the post dry dock POA cruise, and everyone was having their picture taken with two officers greeting people at the door. I am thinking one was the Captain, but who knows, I don't recall now. The last Captain I recall meeting for sure was 2013 at the Gold/Plat reception on the Sun, and he was there for the entire event, chatting with passengers. On the Star ( Bermuda ) in 2012, our entire Roll Call was invited up ( broken up into two groups ) to tour the bridge. Regrettably, we missed ours due to a booked tour. Due to security issues these days, probably a thing of the past.

• 1 month later...
Hi, we have just had a magazine showing Captain Evans Hoyt is joining Azura on 10th January as Master. Just came onto here to see what NCLpassengers think of him as we join Azura the same day as he does.

Just wondering how you enjoyed your recent cruise and sailing with Captain Hoyt. I hope you had a chance to speak to him and tell him a lot of his former NCL passengers miss him.

Edited by lorvit3
Misspelled word

Just wondering how you enjoyed your recent cruise and sailing with Captain Hoyt. I hope you had a chance to speak to him and tell him a lot of his former NCL passengers miss him.

Hi lorvit,

Wonderful cruise and yes I did have an opportunity to tell him that the passengers on Cruise Critic from NCL miss him. We were in port with a couple of NCL ships and I did wonder if the Captains had a get together.

He seems a very nice man and appeared to be a very good Captain.

I wonder if he will get P&O's new ship in 2020 which is being built at Meyer Werft

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Glad you had a good cruise, PopsiB. I love stepping on a ship and leaving everyday cares on the pier, even if only for a while.

It's nice that you were able to have a chat with Captain Hoyt. As you say, nice man and very good Captain. He would be most deserving of commanding the newest P&O addition in a few years. I can see how you would wonder if the Captains had a get-together since you were in some ports with the same ships. Perhaps they exchanged war stories!

• 2 months later...