Bridge Tour - Solstice

tassie cruiser

Hi there, We are cruising on Celebrity Solstice in December. (Our first Celebrity cruise) Our daughter is very interested on doing the bridge tour. We have previously done this on other lines, so I am not fussed but she is very keen.(she is 21) and has a big interest in this type of thing. My DH has also previously done this with RCCL and Carnival but said he would like to again as well. What I have heard/read (if someone could confirm this is correct) that Celebrity only offer 1 x tour per cruise, approx. 10 people in the tour - $150.(called Behind The Scenes Tour or something similar) Is this correct and if so, can we go to desk as soon as we board to enquire about? or do you have to wait until it is announced in the daily news letter? As this is a Xmas/NYE cruise, was thinking of getting this for her as a Xmas pressie.. Was just thinking that if this is correct and they only accept about 10 people, then our chances of getting it would be pretty slim.. Any thoughts or previous experience would be greatly appreciated.. Many thanks... Fiona:)

I see you have sailed on RCI. Your best bet is to join the Celebrity Captain's Club. When you get on the ship, find the Captain's Club host/hostess and explain your situation. :)

Edited by Texed

There are other ways to get one free, but it may not happen.

If you are in a suite, the Michael's Club concierge pretty much can get that, an engine room control room tour, etc. Also if you're asked to eat at one of the captain's or senior officer's tables you may get an invitation to the bridge.

Another time we got an invitation we were in Cafe al Bacio and the captain was also there. He walked over and introduced himself and sat down. We didn't want to take up his time but he was really friendly and just wanted to meet us. Asked for our cabin number and that evening after dinner we had invitation for the bridge the next day.

Hope it works out.

I wouldn't pay for it - it's not THAT great - but it's an interesting diversion.

I see you have sailed on RCI. Your best bet is to join the Celebrity Captain's Club. When you get on the ship, find the Captain's Club host/hostess and explain your situation. :)

We have joined Celebrity's Captain Club, as we were Platinum with RCCL Crown and Anchor, we were automatically Select with Celebrity.... Thought that was pretty cool :)

Many thanks for reply..

There are other ways to get one free, but it may not happen.

If you are in a suite, the Michael's Club concierge pretty much can get that, an engine room control room tour, etc. Also if you're asked to eat at one of the captain's or senior officer's tables you may get an invitation to the bridge.

Another time we got an invitation we were in Cafe al Bacio and the captain was also there. He walked over and introduced himself and sat down. We didn't want to take up his time but he was really friendly and just wanted to meet us. Asked for our cabin number and that evening after dinner we had invitation for the bridge the next day.

Hope it works out.

I wouldn't pay for it - it's not THAT great - but it's an interesting diversion.

Thanks for info, we aren't in a suite, we are in Concierge Class, so no Michael's club for us..... We have always paid for it in the past, that doesn't worry me, its more not getting in quick enough..and missing out

Thanks for info, we aren't in a suite, we are in Concierge Class, so no Michael's club for us..... We have always paid for it in the past, that doesn't worry me, its more not getting in quick enough..and missing out

Ask the Concierge about a bridge tour and likely you will get a free one. If you want the behind the scenes tour that they charge for which is a bunch more stuff they will advertise it in the daily or ask at guest relations. Also the concierge can help you with that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

Ask the Concierge about a bridge tour and likely you will get a free one. If you want the behind the scenes tour that they charge for which is a bunch more stuff they will advertise it in the daily or ask at guest relations. Also the concierge can help you with that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you so much, that's sounds great. We have done quite a few cruises but never with Celebrity, so just learning about Celebrity and Concierge etc.. Also, I didn't realise that you could just do the Bridge Tour (by itself) after reading threads on CC I thought they only offered the full Behind the Scenes Tour..

Thanks again for answering exactly what I wanted to know.... Fiona :-)

Edited by tassie cruiser

Thank you so much, that's sounds great. We have done quite a few cruises but never with Celebrity, so just learning about Celebrity and Concierge etc.. Also, I didn't realise that you could just do the Bridge Tour (by itself) after reading threads on CC I thought they only offered the full Behind the Scenes Tour..

Previously Celebrity frequently offered separate bridge tours, galley tours, engine control room tours, and backstage tours at no charge to passengers who were interested in them.

They usually would offer us a beverage and some snacks on each tour.

Then someone got the bright idea of combining all the individual tours into one long tour, tossing in a few more "behind the scenes" crew areas, including a meal as well, and charging a hefty fee for it.

We never really had any interest in the long combination tour as we just think it is more enjoyable to take them separately, instead of cramming them all in back-to-back on one day.

As others have suggested, you may be able to get a free tour if you express an interest as they still offer them from time to time.

So do ask the concierge and/or the Captain's Club host and/or Guest Relations.

In the past, they had sign up sheets for the various free tours at Guest Relations, and the Captain's Club hostess would arrange them too, often sending you an invitation.

Also, if you start chatting with any of the officers, they will often invite you for a tour of their particular area.

Edited by fleckle

Previously Celebrity frequently offered separate bridge tours, galley tours, engine control room tours, and backstage tours at no charge to passengers who were interested in them.

They usually would offer us a beverage and some snacks on each tour.

Then someone got the bright idea of combining all the individual tours into one long tour, tossing in a few more "behind the scenes" crew areas, including a meal as well, and charging a hefty fee for it.

We never really had any interest in the long combination tour as we just think it is more enjoyable to take them separately, instead of cramming them all in back-to-back on one day.

As others have suggested, you may be able to get a free tour if you express an interest as they still offer them from time to time.

So do ask the concierge and/or the Captain's Club host and/or Guest Relations.

In the past, they had sign up sheets for the various free tours at Guest Relations, and the Captain's Club hostess would arrange them too, often sending you an invitation.

Also, if you start chatting with any of the officers, they will often invite you for a tour of their particular area.

Thanks so much for that, appreciate it heaps. That's why I love CC, everyone is great and so knowledgable..

As others mention, on our last cruise aboard a Solstice we just registered interest at Guest Services and they had a form we added our names/cabin number to. Nothing was guaranteed, but we received invites to both the Bridge and also the Engine Control Room.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think anybody directly answered your question so I will give my two cents. Back in 2013 we also wanted to do this tour and were willing to pay for it. Information gained from Cruise Critic I knew to go to Guest Services ASAP after embarkation to Inquire and had my name placed on a waiting list. I was told if there was enough interest 6-10 folks then they would contact us. Later in the week we were informed that the tour was a go at a cost of $150 USD if I remember correctly. I really enjoyed it and from your originally question looks like you are willing to pay. Lunch at the Lawn Club Grill was also included with two officers joining us.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

First Post in a long Time.

I don't think anybody directly answered your question so I will give my two cents. Back in 2013 we also wanted to do this tour and were willing to pay for it. Information gained from Cruise Critic I knew to go to Guest Services ASAP after embarkation to Inquire and had my name placed on a waiting list. I was told if there was enough interest 6-10 folks then they would contact us. Later in the week we were informed that the tour was a go at a cost of $150 USD if I remember correctly. I really enjoyed it and from your originally question looks like you are willing to pay. Lunch at the Lawn Club Grill was also included with two officers joining us.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

First Post in a long Time.

Thank you very much. When were on Voyager of the Seas, that is exactly what we did and exactly what happened, same cost as well..

Thanks so much. Will wait and see and will also do as suggested from others as well. Fiona

Thank you very much. When were on Voyager of the Seas, that is exactly what we did and exactly what happened, same cost as well..

Thanks so much. Will wait and see and will also do as suggested from others as well. Fiona

Yes, sorry wasn't sure if you *wanted* to do the full package/paid option, which you should certainly register your interest ASAP upon boarding as spaces are limited, could be a one off experience per cruise.

But if you just want to do the complimentary bridge and/or engine room tour , these have in the past been offered quite regularly (often 3-4 groups a day of 10 people at a time) - but again it won't hurt to register your interest earlier than later. And certainly don't wait for them to be advertised in the ships daily, it will often be too late then!

Edited by QE2_Fan

Yes, sorry wasn't sure if you *wanted* to do the full package/paid option, which you should certainly register your interest ASAP upon boarding as spaces are limited, could be a one off experience per cruise.

But if you just want to do the complimentary bridge and/or engine room tour , these have in the past been offered quite regularly (often 3-4 groups a day of 10 people at a time) - but again it won't hurt to register your interest earlier than later. And certainly don't wait for them to be advertised in the ships daily, it will often be too late then!

You are spot on. Thank you for that, I originally was enquiring about the full package, only as I thought that was the only option to do the bridge tour.. Not really fussed with the others, just the bridge, so if there is an option to just do the one, that's perfect, and if it's complimentary, well, that's even better, I had never heard of this being an option.... We have been on quite a few cruises and thought I knew most things, just goes to show, how very little I know and how cruise lines differ.. :) and how informative everyone on here is... Our bible for cruising. Lol

Fiona

Edited by tassie cruiser

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Fiona, you said your daughter "has a great interest in that kind of thing".

I did the full tour on Solstice, $150 included fine dining lunch at Murano's. Yes the tour was full 10 or 12 people and I booked it as soon as I boarded. I believe they often run it on a sea day. I found some of it a bit "yawn" after a few minutes because they only let you there when nothing is happening (i.e. the bridge, the anchor/rope platforms).

But going below decks is CRAZY noisy and chaotic, particularly the huge kitchens during full lunch service on a sea day, I have never seen anything like it. I didn't know they make their own ice cream on board in giant custom made machines? One guy's job ALL DAY is to peel prawns! Who gives any thought to the little Pilipino waiter who carries at least 15 full plates with heavy stainless steel covers every trip through a maze of alleys way before it magically appears your table with a smile? Who knew there are 2 butchers working around the clock in their own refrigerated butchery, banana's have their own room so their gasses don't spoil the other produce, you get the picture!

Another thing I didn't expect was that every section you are taken through by the highest ranking crew member available in that particular section, chatting with the group and answering questions. The Staff Manager showed us the crew recreation areas, the Head Chef spoke in the Pastry Kitchen, the Entertainment Manager backstage at the theatre, the Chief Purchasing Officer through the alcohol and dry food storage areas, the Captain & 2IC on the bridge, the Chief Engineer on duty in the control room.

I just mention this in case because the tour is very comprehensive, and while it might bore the pants off some folk, if your daughter really is interested in behind the scenes she might enjoy the opportunity to see more than just the bridge.

Hi Fiona, you said your daughter "has a great interest in that kind of thing".

I did the full tour on Solstice, $150 included fine dining lunch at Murano's. Yes the tour was full 10 or 12 people and I booked it as soon as I boarded. I believe they often run it on a sea day. I found some of it a bit "yawn" after a few minutes because they only let you there when nothing is happening (i.e. the bridge, the anchor/rope platforms).

But going below decks is CRAZY noisy and chaotic, particularly the huge kitchens during full lunch service on a sea day, I have never seen anything like it. I didn't know they make their own ice cream on board in giant custom made machines? One guy's job ALL DAY is to peel prawns! Who gives any thought to the little Pilipino waiter who carries at least 15 full plates with heavy stainless steel covers every trip through a maze of alleys way before it magically appears your table with a smile? Who knew there are 2 butchers working around the clock in their own refrigerated butchery, banana's have their own room so their gasses don't spoil the other produce, you get the picture!

Another thing I didn't expect was that every section you are taken through by the highest ranking crew member available in that particular section, chatting with the group and answering questions. The Staff Manager showed us the crew recreation areas, the Head Chef spoke in the Pastry Kitchen, the Entertainment Manager backstage at the theatre, the Chief Purchasing Officer through the alcohol and dry food storage areas, the Captain & 2IC on the bridge, the Chief Engineer on duty in the control room.

I just mention this in case because the tour is very comprehensive, and while it might bore the pants off some folk, if your daughter really is interested in behind the scenes she might enjoy the opportunity to see more than just the bridge.

Hi there, thanks so much for all the info. It sounds similar to the ones we have done on Voyager of the seas. The galley sure is an eye opener isn't it. I will do as you suggested and try and book in as soon as we get onboard. Did they only offer the 1 tour or did they do a couple?

Thanks again.

Fiona

Edited by tassie cruiser

We have done a couple of bridge tours with our roll call shipmates. But on our last cruise I asked at the meet and mingle and was told they are no longer allowed to do them because of what happened to the costa Concordia.

We have done a couple of bridge tours with our roll call shipmates. But on our last cruise I asked at the meet and mingle and was told they are no longer allowed to do them because of what happened to the costa Concordia.

Bridge tours still happen. They don't do them on sea days so no worry about what happened to the Costa Concordia.

The last two bridge tours I took on were on sea days. More security checks lately, though.

Thinking about it one I did was on a sea day. They had a wing man with binoculars watching out on the bridge. I don't recall if that was pre or post Concordia. But I have done one post Concordia. The same sailing also saw the engine control room. That was a separate tour. And both were on Celebrity.

Edited by Charles4515

Bridge tours still happen.

Good to know that Celebrity still offers bridge tours. When we had our Cruise Critic special opening reception, I asked a staffer about doing a tour and it was arranged. Below are some of my photo highlights from the Solstice. Many more pictures and details can be seen on my full live/blog that is connected below.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 160,235 views for this posting.

From our Bridge Tour, here are some visual samples. The Bridge is on the same level as our room, the tenth floor. First, here is a view from the outside of the portion of the Bridge that hangs out from our ship. You can set some people in a later group doing this tour in the glassed, over-hang area. Next is inside this glassed over-hang with the ship officer explaining what all of the many buttons, dials and knobs do to control the ship's speed, direction, etc. Plus, you can see many other screens that update all of the key navigating information, etc.:

TuscanampBridge113_zps8f8a3f19.jpg

TuscanampBridge18_zps315d0e27.jpg

This next picture shows the glassed opening in the floor of this portion of the Bridge where the officers can see straight down to the water and be able to check how close is the ship to a docking point. The second picture down from this control area showing the side of the ship and various balconies on this port side of the Solstice.:

TuscanampBridge19_zpscd8ed56b.jpg

TuscanampBridge110_zps30d92e7a.jpg

Finally, here is an example for the details on one of the screens in this control area of the Bridge. Then, in the green sweater, you see me in the main control area of the Bridge with the two big, high-back chairs for the Captain and other top officials to direct and control the ship's operations. With computerization, the actually space needed for this equipment is actually fairly small. This ship was completed in late 2008 and is fairly new to be incorporating the latest technologies for sailing.:

TuscanampBridge111_zps8bea42e2.jpg

TuscanampBridge112_zps38db62f8.jpg

Only one full tour offered on a 12 night cruise. I got different info than Charles4515 about bridge tour on sea days, officer said it's an ideal time because nothing much is going on and a good time to have the public in an operational area.

I think it depends on the Captain when they do it, itinerary, if and when they do it as far as complementary tours. Most of the cruise lines are doing the full ship tour that they charge for. I would guess those are all on sea days.

Edited by Charles4515