NCL.com now showing Canadian pricing

ilovetotravel1977

What I mean is that they are not actually applying an exchange rate. Or if you prefer, they are applying a different rate for every cruise/category, but that amounts to the same thing: You can't predict the CAD price based on the USD price. And it's not always going to be better in USD, as ilovetotravel1977's last example shows (although they need to stop using the RBC site to look up exchange rates… :))

I just used http://www.xe.com exchange calculator (I assume this is what you meant I should be using).

The rate is much more accurate:

$653 CDN = $497 US

$499 US = $656 CDN

I have always been able to use the bank calculators and they were very accurate with what my cruise fares ended up into CDN.

Oh well, as long as I know the prices are matching up dollar-to-dollar, I'm happy with that. Nothing worse than thinking you are being duped out of hard-earned vacation dollars!

2: Prior to this I knew exactly what rate I would get, either I'd get the bank/CC exchange rate if I booked in USD. Or I would get locked in at whatever NCL's rate ( it was always better than market ) of the month was for the conversion if I called and asked the price in CAD. Both of those options would be the same for any trip and not vary.

I assume you can still call and book in USD (if you call the US number).

You will still be locked into an exchange rate for your cruise if you book in CAD (it's just that this rate will only apply for extras that you add to your reservation, not to the cruise fare itself). Whether this rate will continue to be better than the market rate, that's anybody's guess.

I'm kind of surprised that Americans haven't been secretly booking in CAD this whole time to take advantage of NCL's exchange rates. Or maybe they have.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

just an fyi, there are a few good canadian online sites that very often have better prices than NCL's website. I have booked 7 cruises in the last 19 months and never have booked on the actual NCL site as the price was always more. It pays to shop around a bit I think. I think it is nice that they are posting in canadian now but i would definately be comparing prices before booking

just an fyi, there are a few good canadian online sites that very often have better prices than NCL's website. I have booked 7 cruises in the last 19 months and never have booked on the actual NCL site as the price was always more. It pays to shop around a bit I think. I think it is nice that they are posting in canadian now but i would definately be comparing prices before booking

Care to share those sights please?

I just used http://www.xe.com exchange calculator (I assume this is what you meant I should be using).

The rate is much more accurate:

$653 CDN = $497 US

$499 US = $656 CDN

I have always been able to use the bank calculators and they were very accurate with what my cruise fares ended up into CDN.

Oh well, as long as I know the prices are matching up dollar-to-dollar, I'm happy with that. Nothing worse than thinking you are being duped out of hard-earned vacation dollars!

XE is not good for comparing exchange rates. This company trades in exchanges only, you can not buy just a few bucks through them. The best way is using your bank exchange rates. They are closer to what you will get.

I agree with a previous poster, based on what I see in my confirmations. In the last few months anyway the exchange rate that NCL has been using is 1.3077. Been tracking my January cruise for last few months, and have rebooked when I saw price drops...exchange has always been same. Also you can log into your NCL site and see the cost of a $100 on board credit...that's the easy way to figure out what the exchange rate is. Remember your bank and your credit card both take a couple percent from the published bank of canada rate (now at 1.3168)

XE is not good for comparing exchange rates. This company trades in exchanges only, you can not buy just a few bucks through them. The best way is using your bank exchange rates. They are closer to what you will get.
Unless you are actually planning to purchase USD from your bank and use the cash to pay for your cruise, it's better to use the interbank market exchange rate (for example on XE.xom) for comparing prices in different currencies, or if you're using your credit card to purchase something in another currency.

At one points I was find cruises that in CDN rate was almost at par with their USD -- 1.08, 1.11 and the best was 1,04.

I wonder what happened to those cruises... because with those ones, their OBC and anything pre-purchased was at that rate.

Right now it's around 1.28 --- hopefully USD will lower after Nov...go Trump (just kidding...I'm not political...wouldn't know who Id vote for)

I would be interested as well..if you want to PM -- don't think they allow for you to post any website of TA

They are still offering cruises at par? I haven't seen that advertisement on their website for a while, so I assumed it was over.
Still there (assuming they let you see the page from Canada): https://www.ncl.com/cruise-deals/canada-at-par

The terms say it goes through October 31, but it will probably get renewed again. I didn't look at how many sailings were eligible.

I'm also seeing two rates, one rate for OBC and another for everything else, neither of which are as good as your rates. Also, there's some odd ones like the rate for the 3 meal dining package.

More alarmingly, this change done something to my December cruise, I had booked with Canada at Par & completed payment. Now as of today, the fare prices have gone up, and the site now claims that I have not completed payment due to the differing fares.

Has anyone else seen this?

I'll be calling NCL later to sort this out.

Has anyone had issues with your original booking rate not being used for all amenities? I have a cruise in two weeks that some of the items are at the booking rate of $1.111 and some are at the current rate of $1.306!

snow bunny

I'm also seeing two rates, one rate for OBC and another for everything else, neither of which are as good as your rates. Also, there's some odd ones like the rate for the 3 meal dining package.

More alarmingly, this change done something to my December cruise, I had booked with Canada at Par & completed payment. Now as of today, the fare prices have gone up, and the site now claims that I have not completed payment due to the differing fares.

Please come back to let me know if they sorted it out. I might have to call in to see if they can switch the rate back! I really want the spa pass but not at this new rate! If I buy OBC and they are not available on the ship, will NCL give me back my OBC??

snow bunny

I had same problem this morning. It said I had a balance due of $72.93 and I cruise in only 6 days So I paid that.

I called later and they told me I was overpaid by $72.93 I asked for a new cruise confirmation. I noticed the shore excursion amount was lower than what i paid earlier. I called again and asked a shorex confirmation. On that confirmation all my excursions where badly priced (the amount was the original $us price but marked as $CA price but not the $ca price i actually paid.) So total on that confirmation was C237.00 instead of the C309.93 i paid. The difference is exactly what was my balance due this morning. The guy didn't understand but told me it was glitch. :(

So i will wait to see if it change in the next few days ... I hope it will not cause me problems on the ship. On my last cruise i prepaid a SPA pass and they didn't have it onboard.I missed my first spa day and had to complain 4 times and go to directly to the guest service director to get it. by chance I had my confirmation showing this but it was not funny at all. :mad:

I'M very happy with this change. :) I don't need to call and wait anymore to get actual canadian prices and i can book by myself. I hate to call to do that because i'm french speaking and having hard time to do it in english.

I can also compare prices between cruises or cabins more easily without doing conversion.

I'm with you on this one. I had just complained to my PCC that it was a pain having to continually call him to find out the current price (and for him as well although he denied it :) ) as I booked in Canadian and didn't think to check the US price the day I booked, not that that would really help much because of the varying exchange rate. I loved it when we booked with Royal Caribbean and could see the rate in CND $ on their website.

I had same problem this morning. It said I had a balance due of $72.93 and I cruise in only 6 days So I paid that.

I called later and they told me I was overpaid by $72.93 I asked for a new cruise confirmation. I noticed the shore excursion amount was lower than what i paid earlier. I called again and asked a shorex confirmation. On that confirmation all my excursions where badly priced (the amount was the original $us price but marked as $CA price but not the $ca price i actually paid.) So total on that confirmation was C237.00 instead of the C309.93 i paid. The difference is exactly what was my balance due this morning. The guy didn't understand but told me it was glitch. :(

So i will wait to see if it change in the next few days ... I hope it will not cause me problems on the ship. On my last cruise i prepaid a SPA pass and they didn't have it onboard.I missed my first spa day and had to complain 4 times and go to directly to the guest service director to get it. by chance I had my confirmation showing this but it was not funny at all. :mad:

UPDATE they immediatly refunded my $72.93 and today my shorex confirmation is back to the good amount.

Even better i received today an upsell email and upgraded from BD balcony to SF aft suite for $1000CA (at par price for this upgrade). Very happy cruiser here :):):)

I will really appreciate watching the panama canal locks from the aft ! :D

My husband went on and booked our excursion in St. Thomas (without me). Previously the price had been listed at $85US and I had booked at the 11% exchange rate so it would have cost $94.35CDN. The price listed now (and what he paid) is $111CDN. I am going to try calling and see if they can give me it at the 11% exchange rate. Wish me luck!

Small followup:

As mentioned above, and speaking to my PCC, even though the NCL site seems to indicate that I have an additional portion to pay, the system my PCC looks at confirmed that payment is complete.

No luck on getting the exchange rate fixed yet, seems they are unaware of the changes for Canadians?

Hopefully someone can get results and share here?

Problem I am having with $C is that we book with an NCL rep in $US and we watch the prices to see if there is any changes. In $C the loonie goes up and down like a yoyo so we can't see what the real price change when it happens. They should be able to let us switch currency.

Problem I am having with $C is that we book with an NCL rep in $US and we watch the prices to see if there is any changes. In $C the loonie goes up and down like a yoyo so we can't see what the real price change when it happens. They should be able to let us switch currency.

To skirt the issue, try using a VPN and chose a server in the U.S. Should give you access to the U.S. NCL site with prices in USD...