Norwegian Epic - review of Western Mediterranean Cruise, 2-9 October 2016

MarkCheshire

Thank you Mark for your honest and thorough review. I felt like I was reading a dear friend's letter regarding a recent cruise! Your information is quite well written and extremely helpful.

DH and I will be aboard Jan 2017. Your information erased all of my concerns after reading so many negative reviews about the ship.

Again thank you!!!

Thank you Mark for your honest and thorough review. I felt like I was reading a dear friend's letter regarding a recent cruise! Your information is quite well written and extremely helpful.

Thank you for your kind comments. I was aiming to give a balanced review.

Thank you for your wonderful Epic review! I'm sailing in a studio on her next year and thoroughly enjoyed the review. Thanks for the info on the beds in the studio cabins - I was curious about whether they had kings or smaller beds. Thanks again!

I loved your review. Thank you so much for the detailed excursion information. We always book independently which means your review of each port was perfect for me as I add and subtract to end up with my booking tour. The e-bike sounds like fun. The DH is the bike rider how would it be for I don't go far maybe a street or two two years ago bike rider?

Thank you for your wonderful Epic review! I'm sailing in a studio on her next year and thoroughly enjoyed the review. Thanks for the info on the beds in the studio cabins - I was curious about whether they had kings or smaller beds. Thanks again!

Thank you.

I have a few pics of the solo cabins....just trying to work out how to post them!

Hope you enjoy your cruise as much as we did.

Great review Mark, we were getting off as you were getting on! Have to agree with everything you say, it is a fantastic ship. We went on the same trip last year and it went to Palma rather than Marseille which was a better choice IMHO. And you can make it your cruise as much as you want and ignore all the negative reviews! Well done again!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The e-bike sounds like fun. The DH is the bike rider how would it be for I don't go far maybe a street or two two years ago bike rider?

On our bike ride there were 6 riders

- a younger couple (30 ish)

- solo lady about same age

- more mature couple (forgive me if you're reading this - but I'd guess late 60s)

- and me (51...mental age to be determined!)

Everyone managed well. Nobody seemed to be 'sports cyclist' just casual bike riders.

Whether you go for the bike ride or not...definitely go into Marseille.

Hope you enjoy

We went on the same trip last year and it went to Palma rather than Marseille which was a better choice IMHO.

I know the itinerary was previously Palma - and will be again next year. I also thought I'd prefer Palma....

But then I had a wonderful tour of Marseille and saw parts of this city I never read about in reviews - and benefitted from the guidance of a passionate local.

I am a convert.

Thank U Mark for the great review! Even though I won't be on the Epic (Spirit instead), the info of the ports were very helpful.

We were moored next to the NCL Spirit in Naples - looks absolutely lovely.

I didn't include a review of Naples as we just had a quick stroll round the town for an hour on this trip.

However, I was lucky enough to visit there last year and take a tour of Pompei. This was breathtaking - memories will last a long time - a 'must see'.

Thanks for a nice review of my favorite ship (so far).

I keep intending to cruise The Med, but am a bit intimidated navigating European ports and airports by myself. I love cruising solo; I bet the European aspect wouldn't be an issue at all. I just need to take the plunge and book! :o

You need to do it! I did it with my 13 yr old son, which to me, felt more stressful than traveling solo. We embarked in Barcelona, which was a breeze (we spent a couple of days). Super friendly people and everyone we came across spoke at least some English. We did semi-private tours at each port.

On our bike ride there were 6 riders

- a younger couple (30 ish)

- solo lady about same age

- more mature couple (forgive me if you're reading this - but I'd guess late 60s)

- and me (51...mental age to be determined!)

Everyone managed well. Nobody seemed to be 'sports cyclist' just casual bike riders.

Whether you go for the bike ride or not...definitely go into Marseille.

Hope you enjoy

I love the more mature couple. Yep we are 60's and 70's the maturity aspect is to be determined.;) The DH had two bad falls one right after the other "literally" on the bad roadways (he is a street biker). He was riding 14-20 miles 3-4 days per week. He has slowed from the longer 40 plus mile rides this year after the falls. He perked up when I told him I would consider the e-bike.

Thank you.

If you do choose to have a look at the http://www.cruisingexcursions.com website you enter your ship name and dates and they will give you details of all of their excursions that are available for you ports of call.

They also do discounts/packages if you book several excursions.

Really worth having a look.

The whole review and the above is exactly what I was after. Thank you for taking the time to write this. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for your detailed review. This itinerary is on my bucket list to do in the near future! (hopefully 2017) We enjoyed the Epic when we did the Caribbean itinerary on her, and look forward to possibly sailing her again in Europe.

Edited by pe4all

Good morning Mark - I loved reading your entire review! We too (my husband and I) enjoyed the whole cruise from beginning to end. I wrote Norwegian a glowing review although not as intailed as yours . I'm not sure what people complain about and still don't understand what that's all about. If you do your homework before your departure that pretty well insures a good sailing and experiences that go along with it. We were supposed to attend your Meet and Greet Group meeting but got sideline some how doing something else and completely forgot. So sorry we didn't make it and missed meeting a lot of nice people I'm sure. After reading so many sour reviews before our departure I wasn't sure what to expect - but - happily it was all good and we are looking forward to another adventure.

We too (my husband and I) enjoyed the whole cruise from beginning to end.

...and that's what it's all about!!

Glad you had a great time. I'm sure there's something on any cruise we don't like....but some of the reviews have been incredibly negative (and in my opinion factually inaccurate).

Overall we had a wonderful holiday and I have many happy memories.

Great review Mark,

I sailed on the Epic a couple of years ago on that cruise, except we went to Palma.

I too don't really understand all the negativity. However that said I agree the price of drinks is exorbitant and would not cruise again without the UBP :) Luckily I secured it for my Getaway cruise next year.

The Solo cabins a great aren't they! I will admit I loved the mood lighting but I agree it was not easy to work out how to use it.

Glad to hear you left the ports on time this was my one bugbear that on the cruise I was on we nearly always left late which meant missing sail away. A minor disappointment as there was plenty else to do

Think I've found how to post pics full size (thanks for help from CC users)

Plenty of sunbeds - no towels reserving them - this pic taken 10.30am in Naples

<a href=20161004_103509_zpsamn4uqfj.jpg' alt='20

View of Epic from the promenade at Cannes, with tender sailing back to ship.

20161007_114149_zpsxoyjmxqt.jpg

Crabs in the bed !!

20161007_222955_zpsxtcczweq.jpg

We really benefitted from the any reviews and ‘board’ comments from CC users which we had read before our cruise – with some wonderful hints and tips. Of course everyone is looking for slightly different things on holiday so some comments you take with a pinch of salt and accept we have different tastes. I know not everyone will agree with my review either!!!

Roll Call

I saw the roll call facility on CC and made contact with some fellow travellers. Special thanks to Evie (meandmaboy) for organising a ‘meet and greet’ on the cruise.

NCL laid on a private room (we used the Cavern club) with coffee and pastries for a group of CC roll call users to meet up and say hello. We all had name badges and around 20 or so CC users turned up. It was organised on the sea day so we were all aboard ship (but it was a gorgeous sunny day, so I think some people took the option of a day in the sun!).

This was a great chance to share experience, tips and hints. You would have expected maybe one NCL crew member to turn up – what I didn’t expect was the whole troop who came – there must have been 10 – all in their full white uniforms – and we were introduced. This included the hotel manager, entertainment manager, guest service manager, and food and drink managers – the full array. I know these people must be really busy but they put themselves out to all come and say hello. This really made you feel like NCL valued your custom and wanted to make you feel welcome.

Thank you to everyone at NCL – this was most impressive customer service.

It was great to meet fellow passengers, thank you to everyone we met.

Evie & Carol and Debbie & Bob we bumped into many times over the week on board. Thank you for the conversations and company.

I would recommend any CC users to avail of an opportunity for a meet and greet – and strongly urge you to go if you put your name down – NCL went to a lot of trouble, but they’ll only do this if passengers turn up.

Hi Mark,

Loved your review it was spot on & very accurate & I could'nt have written any better myself.:)

It was a good meet 'n'greet & as before(our meet 'n'greet last year) the Ships staff turn out in good numbers to meet CC'ers & make us feel welcome.:D:D I know some folks didn't manage, they missed a good cup of coffee & pastry.

Like yourself we bumped into a lot of folks over the week & it was nice to conversate with folks we had something in common with.:)

Kind Regards to you & Vera xxxxx

Evie