Insurance question

newyorker123

I use trip insurance store for all our trips. Steve is amazing and I trust his advice which I don't do easily.

However, the Chase Sapphire card could be a game changer. How did I miss this! We spent thousands on isurance the last couple of years. Has this benefit been around for a long time?

Be sure to compare the Chase Sapphire Preferred card with the new Chase Sapphire Reserve card. On the surface, the Reserve card is more expensive but has better benefits that will make it less expensive in the long run depending on how much you use it. Here's a link to Gary Leff's recent comparison of the two cards: http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2016/10/08/sapphire-preferred-vs-reserve-get/.

You can't go wrong with either card.

Wendy, I'm not sure if any these ideas might work for you but I thought I'd post the information in case it works for you or any other Canadian who is looking for insurance for trips:

1) Depending upon past employment: university, retired teacher, government, you might be eligible for extended insurance including "Snowbird" coverage for trips that would include leaving from the USA and not Canada.

2) There is https://www.tmtsf.ca/index.php/consumer/portal/TRACA28 that seems to offer insurance that might be applicable.

3) Some medications are "exempt" from the 90 or 180 day stability clause and you could check with your insurance to see if your change is one that is "allowed". A friend just got hers in writing from her insurer. Some blood thinners, antibiotics required before dental work, etc. are not a problem.

4) BC CAA has additional protection that we don't get but it might be something that also works where you live.

Thanks, will look into these. I could have just not done the medication change, I wasn't thinking at the time. IT's not one of the above, it's my statin. I think we're just going to cross our fingers. But I will look at those links. We do get unlimited out of Canada medical from the uni that David retired from.

If you mean, "Insuremytrip", yes, I have. I did find one who would do this trip, a US carrier, travelguard I think. But it was outrageously expensive. The problem is that we're Canadian but we're not leaving from Canada, so Canadian insurers won't cover us. This because we live in Florida in the winter.

And now last week I did the unthinkable and had my doctor change one of my medication dosages, so now I'd be scr**ed anyways. So for the first time, we're "self-insuring", yikes!

Luckily we don't need medical, just cancellation.

Hi Wendy. Reading your post last night was timely; we're in the same boat as you (if you'll pardon the pun) and I had just gotten an online cancellation quote from Travelguard in Canada, which was reasonable. I called them just now and they confirmed that they'd have to insure us from when we left our home province, not just the dates of the cruise in March. Of course, this makes the "interruption" risk very high and the price ridiculous. They suggested I call the US side, as we'll be leaving from and returning to Florida. I did, and found it to be reasonable for their "Basic" policy. We're paying US$1,300 for a trip worth US$30,000. There is a little bit of medical overlap which is secondary to the travel medical we already have.

By the way, for the medical insurance I found Tour Med was much, much lower than any other for my husband who's in a higher age bracket than I am with a stable, pre-existing condition. Might be worth a call: 1-844-412-4636

Hi Wendy. Reading your post last night was timely; we're in the same boat as you (if you'll pardon the pun) and I had just gotten an online cancellation quote from Travelguard in Canada, which was reasonable. I called them just now and they confirmed that they'd have to insure us from when we left our home province, not just the dates of the cruise in March. Of course, this makes the "interruption" risk very high and the price ridiculous. They suggested I call the US side, as we'll be leaving from and returning to Florida. I did, and found it to be reasonable for their "Basic" policy. We're paying US$1,300 for a trip worth US$30,000. There is a little bit of medical overlap which is secondary to the travel medical we already have.

By the way, for the medical insurance I found Tour Med was much, much lower than any other for my husband who's in a higher age bracket than I am with a stable, pre-existing condition. Might be worth a call: 1-844-412-4636

Thanks for the tips. My quote with Travelguard US (using our Florida address) was over US$2K on a US$20K trip. Not so great.

Fortunately we don't need medical, we have that covered.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer