When to book the steakhouse

Jenn1974

I will be crusing on the Magic in June of 2017. We would love to do the steakhouse sans kids one night on our cruise! When should I book this? Should I do it now? Would you book on a port night or a sea night. How do you decide when to book a specialty restaurant?????

I like to book the 1st night, to get the free bottle of wine or the 50% off deal. I find the 1st night usually is more chaotic in the dining room and I like more relaxed dining in a specialty restaurant that night. For the other nights, I decide by what is offered in the MDR and use that to plan my other dining.

Edited by dacsmom

You can book it now, online. We traditionally book the first night, to start the cruise off with a special dinner.

If we didn't do the first night, we would definitely book a sea day dinner because I do like to dress a bit special when we go - makes the whole evening special.

We like to meet our tablemates and waitstaff the first night so would not go the first night. Besides the free wine IMHO is worth what you pay for it.

If we ever go the first night again would do the 50% discount from regular price and get something better.

We wait until we are on the ship and if we particularly like our tablemates either ask them if they want to go or often skip it.

They are not that busy that you cant get reservations once on the ship.

on our last cruise we booked it on our actual anniversary night (7 night cruise for our 30th). They gave us free cake. I love free cake.

but unless there was a special occasion I wouldn't probably care what night we went as long as we got to go. We aren't big wine drinkers so the first night special wouldn't be enough to get us in there by itself but it's a nice perk if other factors bring us to the steakhouse.

I doubt we'll bother with it this next cruise as it's just 3 days. We can use that 70 bucks for souvenirs or something.

edit to add - I forgot to say I would reserve online as soon as I knew I planned on going. I wouldn't want to wait until we got on-board and then find out it's full.

Edited by originalgeek

I will be crusing on the Magic in June of 2017. We would love to do the steakhouse sans kids one night on our cruise! When should I book this? Should I do it now? Would you book on a port night or a sea night. How do you decide when to book a specialty restaurant?????

I like to book the Steakhouse one night every cruise, even when I sail solo. If it's an occasion, then on that day. Otherwise, the night before the 2nd elegant night on a 7 day cruise.

Since I usually do late MDR dining, I book the Steakhouse for 8 PM. That makes no difference if it is a sea day (usually not) or a port day.

I always see the Steakhouse display usually in various places on deck 5 during the cruise, trying to get more people to dine there. Some times (early) can fill up, but usually not an entire night.

I like to book the Steakhouse one night every cruise, even when I sail solo. If it's an occasion, then on that day. Otherwise, the night before the 2nd elegant night on a 7 day cruise.

Since I usually do late MDR dining, I book the Steakhouse for 8 PM. That makes no difference if it is a sea day (usually not) or a port day.

I always see the Steakhouse display usually in various places on deck 5 during the cruise, trying to get more people to dine there. Some times (early) can fill up, but usually not an entire night.

Sort of off topic, when you have gone alone, have you ever dated at the bar?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We're going the first night. Since the ship is leaving 10pm, boarding is 3:30-9:00pm and the MDR will be open seating.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Forums mobile app

Great time to go. As mentioned, sometimes the 1st night dinner is slightly off kilter, esp when open seating.

Sent from my iPhone

Great time to go. As mentioned, sometimes the 1st night dinner is slightly off kilter, esp when open seating.

Sent from my iPhone

If you don't have a cruise scheduled soon, and want a meal like the Steakhouse (and probably a little bit better) Morton's is having a surf and turf special.

If you don't have a cruise scheduled soon, and want a meal like the Steakhouse (and probably a little bit better) Morton's is having a surf and turf special.

Thanks, when they have their specials, it does not their price a little easier to swallow. I have only been to Morton's when a business entity was paying (as opposed to me....).

Whenever you want.

Thanks, when they have their specials, it does not their price a little easier to swallow. I have only been to Morton's when a business entity was paying (as opposed to me....).

Morton's = $55 for filet mignon and lobster tail in the NY area stores. Portion size appears larger than the Steakhouse's, I'll find out in a few weeks when I go there.

This special holds through the end of the year. Disclaimer: neither I or anyone in my family works at Morton's, and I don't own any of their individual stocks.

We were on magic last month. Camp is not open the first night so if you are trying to drop off the kids there that wouldn't work. Then night 2 is elegant night. I'd make reservations prior to sailing if I was you. While on the ship, We called on Thursday to get reservations that might and all they had was 6pm on Thursday and nothing on Friday. We went ahead and took the 6pm. [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums