What to wear/pack for November Transatlantic cruise

GeorgeL

My husband and I are on 15 day Silhouette transatlantic cruise istarting early this November from Civitavecchia.

I have no idea what clothes would be appropriate to wear onboard on such a cruise. Would I wear more of fall type clothes ( warmer fabrics, long sleeve dresses and tops and long pants).

Any advice would be very appreciated.

Remember inside the ship will still be warm and you will have lots of sea days.

If you pack layers, tops and cardigans, light fleece and light waterproof you will find you can mix and match for all weathers! Just wear more on colder days.

If you wear a jumper, for example, for a stroll around the deck and then go to el bachio for a coffee you will be too hot, whereas top and cardigan you can just take off the cardie and you are fine!

Those waterproofs with zip in/out fleecy are great for cruising where weather can be mixed and remember that is two garments in one you can carry onto the plane to save suitcase space. The waterproof will be great pre cruise in Italy too where it can become quite wet by November.

Have a great cruise!

Edited by chemmo

Thank you for the information.

I am not sure about what to wear to the different eating venues, daytime and evening. Or just to wear onboard. For example, I don't want to wear summer maxi dress if no one else will be wearing these types of clothes.

I am not sure about what to wear to the different eating venues, daytime and evening. Or just to wear onboard. For example, I don't want to wear summer maxi dress if no one else will be wearing these types of clothes.

We're on the same cruise as you and your husband. For evening smart casual wear, I will be wearing trousers and mainly short sleeve tops and for evening chic possible a dress or long skirt again mainly with short sleeve top. My husband will have short sleeve shirts on for most nights and long sleeve shirts for evening chic with a jacket. We very seldom wear long sleeve tops at any time but then again we're from Scotland . We will be wearing T shirts during the day with a light fleece top or jacket depending on the weather and hopefully shorts once we leave Tenerife. We've done two spring transatlantic and found what people wear depends a lot on where they come from. If you come from an area with a mainly warm/ hot climate then Europe in November may be a bit cold for you but as I said we're from Scotland so cold is not a problem for us.

Just come with layers as inside the ship will be comfortable even if you wear your summer maxi dress.

Sandav

I think you will find great variety in what people wear! Daytime ranges will be from shorts to skirts to jeans, evening dining the same as on any cruise...some will dress more smartly for 'chic' evening, although we have seem more suits than tuxedos and cocktail dresses to full length gowns. A summer maxi dress, perhaps with a little bolero if it is chilly would be fine in the evenings...

For cooler cruises I have found a mid length black skirt and smart black trousers with a variety of tops (simple and more bling) ideal. By adding jewellery or not they can be dressed up or down...For a longer cruise by mixing and matching these I can make a much greater variety of outfits than by taking dresses....

Thank you so much.

This is very helpful information. It has been a long time since our previous winter transatlantic cruise. Last one was to Scotland, Iceland and Ireland, among other places. By the way, we really enjoyed beautiful Scotland and the lovely people there.

As far as this cruise, I guess it's "anything goes" (within reason, of course :)) as far as clothes. But I may leave my summer maxi dress at home in California...

We did a transatlantic last year.

Below is a list of what I brought and wore:

Leggings

Jeans

Shorts (for inside the ship)

Long maxi dresses w/ 1/3 sleeves sweaters

Gym yoga pants

T-shirts

Sneakers

Flip flops (inside ship)

Dressy kitten heels

Tall Boots (for cool shore visits)

Zip Off leg pants (rei or ems )

Thin rain jacket

This liner for jacket

Umbrella

Plenty of hair clips (it was super windy outside)

I wore most if not all. I only packed for 7 days and did laundry once.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did a September TA and I brought a few pairs of black pants and paired them with some nice tops. To save space, I wore each top twice. For formal night (now Evening Chic), I brought cocktail dresses. DH rented a tux, which saved room since he wore that 3 nights.

For day, I brought a mix of casual pants and long-sleeved t-shirts/light sweaters. For up in deck, I brought a fleece jacket.

Have fun!

We have done this crossing a couple of times and it can be very warm once you get to the Canary Islands and sea days to Fort Lauderdale. It was so hot on the last crossing we did that we could not sit out on our balcony in the afternoon once the sun was hitting it. Bring your swimsuit and fav. sun screen if you are a pool person.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've been on this itinerary a number of times and the weather can vary greatly. It's usually quite nice early in the month. There are large department stores in every port and I usually pick up something if I need it.

I've been on this itinerary a number of times and the weather can vary greatly. It's usually quite nice early in the month. There are large department stores in every port and I usually pick up something if I need it.

What a great excuse for a shopping trip 'Honey, I've packet the wrong clothes!' Seriously, though, a good point...

from California, and the clothes will be almost the same. It is hard to tell a person what to wear, with out knowing AGE, health, and information. Good to remember that dressing is no longer a WORRISOME issue, about packing dress clothes suits or tux, unless are into being a fashionista. If you need something different that what you brought, think a shopping trip or on the ship they will have some good sales getting ready for the Caribbean

One piece of clothing I always pack is a Gore Tex lightweight longer-length jacket with attached hood. It is great for rain, cooler weather, and packs to almost nothing. I also take a light sweater or jacket and a shawl/pashmina for around the ship.

Other than that, we have taken lightweight long pants and capris, and shirts that can be layered (or not).

We like to blend in so we bring nothing that has printed slogans that indicate our last vacation spot or sports team, etc. We might break that "rule" in the Caribbean but we really don't when in Europe. We are still going to look like a tourist but we don't want to scream it.

On the TAs we've been on I'm in capris and sandals (or non-athletic tennis shoes) and 3/4 sleeve shirts for much of the daytime off the ship and on. Don't forget some lightweight scarves.

Have a great time. Wish we were doing a TA this year but it just wasn't in the cards.

My husband and I are on 15 day Silhouette transatlantic cruise istarting early this November from Civitavecchia.

I have no idea what clothes would be appropriate to wear onboard.

We're on the same cruise as you and your husband..

Come on over and join us on the roll call. Along with many other topics, recent posts have included average temps in each port.

Very active group and many great activities planned!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2406813