Cheers Question

kjh1990

We are just off the 10/9 Conquest sailing. We purchased the Cheers package for the cruise. I tried to order a drink from the tequila bar that was made with cheap tequila and asked for it to be made with patron instead. I was told by the bartender that this couldn't be done. I was under the impression that you could have a drink made with an upgraded liquor. Am I wrong? Thanks!

We are just off the 10/9 Conquest sailing. We purchased the Cheers package for the cruise. I tried to order a drink from the tequila bar that was made with cheap tequila and asked for it to be made with patron instead. I was told by the bartender that this couldn't be done. I was under the impression that you could have a drink made with an upgraded liquor. Am I wrong? Thanks!

I can't answer for the tequila bar on the Conquest, however, I was recently on the Miracle and I did have the Cheers plan. I drank a lot of Margaritas and each and every one of them was upgraded to the Patron Silver. Some I watched them pour others I had the poolside servers bring me.

Given that the per drink max under the Cheers program is $50, I find it hard to believe that the upgraded tequila would have put it over the limit.

In hindsight, you probably should have gone to Guest Services and asked for clarification. Because I think the bartender was wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

That bartender was wrong. If it were me, I would have told him I was going to Guest Services for clarification. I bet then, he would have made your drink as requested.

If I wasn't able to upgrade, I might entertain the thought of not even buying Cheers.

I sail in 11 days. I will be requesting top shelf and I've been able to do so in the past. if it doesn't work out I'll have to talk with GS. It won't ruin my cruise by any means but it is an expectation I have.

I've not had a problem upgrading to Patron when ordering a margarita - BUT - I did have a bartender tell me when I was ordering The Cruiser (includes vodka) that I couldn't get Grey Goose because it was a "pre-mixed" drink. Uh, it wasn't pre-mixed - she mixed it while I was standing there. Totally did not make sense, but I didn't argue because vodka was one of a few liquors in the drink and I didn't think it would really affect the taste.

From now on, I will insist on the upgraded liquor in all drinks - especially the ones that include Vodka - the stuff they use is pretty nasty.

On the other hand, there was a great bartender at the aft pool bar on the Breeze that told me she always used top shelf for anyone on CHEERS. I really think it's just lack of knowledge on the part of some of the bartenders - there would be no reason for them to not want to give you an upgrade as it would be a slight increase in their 15% gratuity.

If I wasn't able to upgrade, I might entertain the thought of not even buying Cheers.

I sail in 11 days. I will be requesting top shelf and I've been able to do so in the past. if it doesn't work out I'll have to talk with GS. It won't ruin my cruise by any means but it is an expectation I have.

you are only punishing yourself, because of one person on the internet who had a problem which could have been resolved very easily. Some people are just afraid to speak up, not me. I would have been served the Patron.

I've not had a problem upgrading to Patron when ordering a margarita - BUT - I did have a bartender tell me when I was ordering The Cruiser (includes vodka) that I couldn't get Grey Goose because it was a "pre-mixed" drink. Uh, it wasn't pre-mixed - she mixed it while I was standing there. Totally did not make sense, but I didn't argue because vodka was one of a few liquors in the drink and I didn't think it would really affect the taste.

From now on, I will insist on the upgraded liquor in all drinks - especially the ones that include Vodka - the stuff they use is pretty nasty.

On the other hand, there was a great bartender at the aft pool bar on the Breeze that told me she always used top shelf for anyone on CHEERS. I really think it's just lack of knowledge on the part of some of the bartenders - there would be no reason for them to not want to give you an upgrade as it would be a slight increase in their 15% gratuity.

This is basically what happened to me. I ordered the green iguana and asked for patron instead of the cheap tequila it came with. The bartender said no that it came with the cheap tequila and it couldn't be changed. I feel that there needs to be better communication with the bartenders on what is allowed as it is frustrating that you can get up to a 50$ drink but have bartenders that will not change the way they make it.

you are only punishing yourself, because of one person on the internet who had a problem which could have been resolved very easily. Some people are just afraid to speak up, not me. I would have been served the Patron.

I did speak up and told him that I wanted it with Paton and he told me no that it couldn't be done. And proceeded to show me the cheap bottle of liquor and said this is what it comes with. I think that it's frustrating when you pay for the package and you have bartenders that are not understanding the way the package works.

if there were 2 bartenders next to each other and I did not think I would hit 15. I would have stood there for 5 minutes and went to the other bartender and gave him $5 and asked HIM for the top shelf in front of the first one. Doubt the second bartender would have had an issue and I bet the first one would have seen the error of his ways.

you can certainty upgrade to top shelf liquor and "most" bartenders when they get to know you and know you have cheers will continue to do so. However this may not be done with certain drinks that have pre-mixed contents.

Example one of my favorite drink is the Fun ship. when I was on the conquest I asked the great bartender at the Atrium bar to upgrade the liquor so he explained to me and showed me the bottle that the tequila and vodka was already pre-mixed with the juice and all he added additional was the brandy and something else so even though he is still mixing some ingredients some had already been pre-mixed. I even watched another bartender make a batch of the funship pre-mixed drink.

so I think he may have not explained that it was already pre-mixed with the tequila he was showing you. So my opinion it may be have the lack of communication. some bartenders are better than others. when I cruise I go to different bartenders with my own personal request until I find one that I think its great. and of course I always tip them well.

I was on 10/9 sailing of the Dream, we drank Roca Patron for all of our tequila needs. It was $14.99 a shot, I love cheers.

All of these anecdotes of people being denied top shelf under CHEERS! is becoming slightly alarming. Has anyone bothered to ask John Heald about it?

I was thinking on sending him a message on Saturday. He mentioned on his live video this morning he prefers if most questions wait till Saturday since he is preparing for his trip to get on the vista

"Top Shelf" is just a generic term for premium liquors kept on the "top shelf". I ask for my "top shelf" liquor by brand i.e.: Kettle One, Gray Goose, etc.

I don't drink those Umbrella drinks so I can't really comment on those pre-mixed stuff. Personally, I don't like the idea of pre-mixed with the alcohol added already. I like to see what's getting poured into my glass.

"Top Shelf" is just a generic term for premium liquors kept on the "top shelf". I ask for my "top shelf" liquor by brand i.e.: Kettle One, Gray Goose, etc.

I don't drink those Umbrella drinks so I can't really comment on those pre-mixed stuff. Personally, I don't like the idea of pre-mixed with the alcohol added already. I like to see what's getting poured into my glass.

Same here. After a few Long Islands, a good bartender will remember. Found a drink at Alchemy bar in June. Death in The Afternoon. It's made with Absinthe, if you like licorice you will love it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were on the Magic in August. DD's boyfriend asked for Patron in every drink ordered and had no problems. We were at the Tequila bar most of the time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app