Traveling on anthem of the seas with 6 month old- any advice?

Hello! Can anyone share advice on cruising with a six-month-old? We will be cruising with our son in April on anthem of the seas. We are experienced cruisers (10+) and realize that it won't be the same vacation. We want to continue our annual cruise vacation and aren't ready to leave our son home! We also have a credit we need to use because of a cancellation last year due to Zika.

A lot of forums and boards state that royal Caribbean allows 6 month olds in the nursery, but I called the other day and RC said kids need to be 12 months. Has anyone cruised lately?

Also, we have the city mini GT stroller- how well will that maneuver on the ship?

Any excursion suggestions for port Canaveral or Nassau?

Any advice would be appreciated! We plan on bringing an inflatable tub and lots of diapers and formula!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Check out the family board . There will be lots of answers there.

We cruised with a one year old in April. A folding reclining stroller is a must due to minimal storage space and a place for baby to sleep when out and about. Remember to take any over the counter meds as the ship will not even have Tylenol for a baby.

We took our own pack and play. Although we requested one it was not in the room so glad we brought our own. You will bring a lot of stuff - just the way it is.

We didnt use the nursery as we had several who took turns staying with the baby at night.

Relax and go with the flow and have fun!

When we cruised with our 10 month old, we also brought our own pack'n'play, and stuck in in the closet area to give some separation. Worked well, until the airline broke it on the flight home.

We used a City Micro on our trip, but it is very similar to the Mini. I'd recommend using it again. Easy on and off the boat, and doesn't take up much space, and the ease of folding is great. Not sure if you have a carrier, but for some activities on the boat, it may be easier - that is totally a personal call though...mine was too squirmy by 10 months to stay in a carrier, but 6 months might be easier.

We just tried not to pack our days too full, and went with the flow. Planned activities around the nap schedule, let baby fall asleep on me during movie under the stars, etc... it was a great time.

Have fun!

Of course it won't be the same..you're a FAMILY now...nothing will be the same as it was for at least 20 years! But...that doesn't mean it's not fun...just a different kind of vacation. Just like your daily life isn't the same anymore....

Go, enjoy and have fun!

Oh..bring any and all pediatric meds you MIGHT or do use! The ship doesn't sell children's formulations of any drug. Baby tylenol, teething aid, antihistamines, decongestants, etc....bring anything you THINK you will need!

Edited by cb at sea

Hello! Can anyone share advice on cruising with a six-month-old? We will be cruising with our son in April on anthem of the seas. We are experienced cruisers (10+) and realize that it won't be the same vacation. We want to continue our annual cruise vacation and aren't ready to leave our son home! We also have a credit we need to use because of a cancellation last year due to Zika.

A lot of forums and boards state that royal Caribbean allows 6 month olds in the nursery, but I called the other day and RC said kids need to be 12 months. Has anyone cruised lately?

Also, we have the city mini GT stroller- how well will that maneuver on the ship?

Any excursion suggestions for port Canaveral or Nassau?

Any advice would be appreciated! We plan on bringing an inflatable tub and lots of diapers and formula!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In Nassau take a cab to Atlantis and walk around the Aquarium. It's free and beautiful and baby will love looking at the fishes. Walk through the Straw Market there will be lots of people wanting to sell you stuff for the baby but you can say no and he will get lots of attention from the folks at the straw market. The pirate museum while a little hokey is also and easy event to walk through with the kid. He wont remember any of this but he will be having a great time while you are doing it. Just because the kid won't remember is not a reason to not present them with enjoyable experiences. My daughters first trip to Nassau was when she was 4 months old.

Edited by LeesSummitCruiser1
additions

Go to someplace like Buy Buy Baby, and get those baggies that you can put used diapers in. You don't want to just leave them in the trash can. This will keep the room smelling better.

Bring a little blow up tub to bath the baby in. All you'll have is shower, and that makes bathing the baby hard.

Amazon sells full body swimsuits (sometimes called rash guards) that will reduce the amount of sun screen you need to use.

I know on Freedom of the Seas and Oasis of the seas, they have a little baby splash zone. This is the ONLY pool diapered children are allowed in. You might want to bring a few toys.

With our son, he goes to bed at 7:30 or so. We would sit on the balcony and stream netflix to the iPad when he went down for the night.

We had no trouble with the baby sitting service and quite enjoyed the adult time.

You probably want to carry a box of diapers on board rather than check it. Nothing would be worse then it getting lost as they cannot be purchased on board. Royal does have a Royal Babies program where you can pre-order them and have them delivered to your stateroom, but they are VERY expensive that way. This would have to be done before sailing.

We had our 8mo. old in the Royal Babies & Tots program. We would drop him off around dinner time and pick him up between 10 and 11PM. They would play, feed, change, and put him down to sleep. The staff will provide you with a bag to fill with diapers, formula, and change of clothes. The staff will give you a ship phone to contact you, if needed. There is a fee, but it's well worth it because the staff is highly trained & attentive. Our boy LOVED going there, so that was our indication that the quality of care was great!

We had our GB Pockit Stroller, as well as saw many other types/brands/sizes. It can get crowded around the pool and the Windjammer buffet.

Forums

You can watch me super-entertaining video of our Anthem cruise via my link below.

In Nassau take a cab to Atlantis and walk around the Aquarium. It's free and beautiful and baby will love looking at the fishes. Walk through the Straw Market there will be lots of people wanting to sell you stuff for the baby but you can say no and he will get lots of attention from the folks at the straw market. The pirate museum while a little hokey is also and easy event to walk through with the kid. He wont remember any of this but he will be having a great time while you are doing it. Just because the kid won't remember is not a reason to not present them with enjoyable experiences. My daughters first trip to Nassau was when she was 4 months old.

The aquarium at Atlantis is NOT free, but you can buy a pass.

Went to atlantis in june. Aquauarium part was no longer free. Was closed off and you had to pay to even see a glimpse of it

Bring a baby monitor to use on the balcony. I was slightly unnerved last week while our 3.5yr old napped inside as I could not hear anything. I kept "hearing her screaming" so would open the door and she was sound asleep (but wakes from my opening the door). I could not turn my mommy brain off and had the feeling she was screaming away (she is not a screamer at all but I was worried nonetheless). I kept thinking she woke and didn't know where we were.

We didn't bring a monitor as we didn't see a need since we didn't plan to leave the room/balcony, but it would have been perfect to have out on the balcony while she napped. I ended up curled up in bed with my books most naps as it was more relaxing for me.

The very best travel crib, assembles in under 60 seconds and fits in our 30" luggage. Worthy every penny! Have fun!!

BABYBJORN Travel Crib Light, Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IM8G038/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_NQCeybR3PPTFK

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

What ages did you use this? I tried with our first but around 6-12 months she seemed to roll into the sides and wake up. Gave it away but thinking about getting another for our next baby as we have a few trips planned.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We used this travel crib from a few months old through about 2.5. Priceless, we loved it! No need for the Bjorn crib sheets, there are others for about $10 that fit just fine. I think they are made by American Baby or something like that, you should see it on Amazon.

I can't imagine our child having rolled to the sides that young. It makes me wonder if a support was off with your original one? Give it another try, we hear nothing but rave reviews when we recommend.

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app