Disappointed Chef - Let down by Cruise Dictator Ken Mills

DisappointedChef

OP should try Oceania. Many hands on Culinary events that would be perfect for him.

I doubt the Oceania experience is what she is looking for. It's not a competition, it's a class. There is a cost attached, I think about $70 per person. As you also know Oceania is a bit more expensive than Celebrity.

No! I am not an American.......and my spellings of the words "colour" and "programme" should have been a giveaway. I'm am not a Swede either.......but married to a Swedish man. I am a female......but everyone on this forum has assumed that I am a male for reasons they know best.

For what it's worth, I picked millennial, but remained gender neutral. Having lived in the Bay Area, I know the type. And God forbid you assume gender, even if they are standing in front of you.

And DC, if you are still here, I assure you that you can not write me off the table and onto the floor where I belong. Bold statement for somebody naive enough to book an entire cruise with the hope of being randomly selected from a theatre full of people to make an omelet.

Cheers!

What could you have brought to the table (no pun intended) that the other contestants didn't or couldn't IYHO?

As an ardent fan of Bravo's Top Chef, selecting the Celebrity Solstice was a cherry pick! The Top Chef at Sea competition was on the penultimate day of the Cruise so I waited my turn patiently. I reported to the venue early, sat in the front row....and was confident my passion for all things culinary would stand me in good stead. I was the first one on my feet when Contestants were called for. Imagine my disappointment when Cruise Director Ken Mills picked only contestants who were parts of large groups (because he wallows in applause and attention!). Ironically all contestants were American and the rest of the world was just NOT represented. Ken has no answer when queried why he had picked only Americans. 2 of his picks could barely peel a potato and of the 2 finalists......one couldn't remember the sauces her dish were embellished with, and the other couldn't remember the name of his dish. The Cruise Director and the Executive Chef reduced the decorous character of Top Chef to farcical buffoonery!!! Apart from sullying the good name of the World Class competition, eponymous with the Culinary Artists that frequent it, I was deprived of the opportunity of a lifetime only because of a discriminating Cruise Director! Ken Mills made it very obvious that the "Top Chef at Sea" is nothing more than a tick on his weekly To-Do list, and that lack of empathy unfortunately killed my dream. Cooking, is after all, what I am most passionate about. Regrettably there is no "Undo" button on the damage done.

For what it's worth, I picked millennial, but remained gender neutral. Having lived in the Bay Area, I know the type. And God forbid you assume gender, even if they are standing in front of you.

And DC, if you are still here, I assure you that you can not write me off the table and onto the floor where I belong. Bold statement for somebody naive enough to book an entire cruise with the hope of being randomly selected from a theatre full of people to make an omelet.

Cheers!

Big like!

Edited by richsea

Just because you are so passionate about cooking doesn't mean you will get picked. Others are probably just as passionate. Maybe the others who were picked let Ken know in advance that they wanted to be picked and they were more entertaining?

Since the cruise left out of Seattle it will have more Americans on it than a cruise that left out of Sweden or some other country.

I can't believe you say you were deprived of a lifetime opportunity! It was a game of chance and you lost. If you want something to happen then you have to make it happen yourself or at least try to. Sometimes sitting in the front row and being the first one up doesn't always help. They only had 3 spots and a lot more people than that. So many of the others also didn't get picked.

Celebrity tries to make it interesting so that people have a good time and for it to be popular. I'm not sure how much fun it would be for others watching with someone like you so serious and focused. It is what it is. Life sucks sometimes.

Did you take any of the "Private Cooking Classes* followed by a delicious lunch in one of our specialty restaurants." (*fee applies) that Celebrity has to offer? Maybe that would have been more suited to you. This way you are guaranteed to be able to show off your cooking prowess. :rolleyes:

As for Kens comment "I'll pretend I didn't hear your question and move on!!!!!", he was probably so shocked at your comment. I have made that comment myself when someone says something that is in such utter disbelief.

As for using the race card, I have seen that happen so many times when someone doesn't get their way and they want to make a stink about it. I say let it go and hope you had a good time on your cruise.

"Unfortunately for me.......the opportunity had passed and will NEVER come by again!" Looks like you will just have to make it happen yourself if you are that good.

BTW what do you do for a living? Do you work as a chef?

Edited by ReneeFLL

No! I'm sticking with pinning all the blame for the disappointment on Ken Mills!

My exact words to him on departure were' "A Cruise Director can make or break the experience for a Cruiser.....and he CHOSE to break it for me!!!!!!"

What I want to say is that you need to stop blaming others for your issues, but with this comment I now know this is a joke. Great entertaining thread. You should become a comedian.

Pinning too much hope in my case meant......ticking it off my bucket list. I have completed courses in Professional Bakery and Confectionery....and worked in a Restaurant as a Sous Chef when I was a student.

In the remote part of the world we live in......I have zero access to any cookery shows live, to watch or participate in......... hence the keenness. Most of you replying on this forum are US based......and wont understand what I mean when I say......it was a "once in a lifetime opportunity"......

We have attended dozens of audience participation shows on cruise ships. Rarely are they meant to be anything other entertainment. And, the less competent the participants, the more entertaining the shows tend to be. I think that you may have had an unrealistic expectation of what this show was going to be when done on a cruise ship. Sorry to say, but I doubt many, if any, audience members would have been particularly impressed with your culinary abilities. That really isn't why people attend shtick shows on cruise ships. Hope that future cruises are more satisfying for you.

I would curry favor with the Executive Chef. I've seen them selecting people. Most of the Executive Chef's I know love to discuss cooking and would welcome time with a real foodie who has a passion for cooking. Celebrity's Executive Chefs are an interesting lot. One cooked for the Royal family another from Jamaica prepares kosher food for his wife.

Based on what I have read here, I would have done the same thing Mr. Mills did. The last thing I would have wanted is some serious obsessive zealot on stage when it was supposed to be light entertainment. If you noticed there is NO serious competition on board, only what is intended as fun and laughs. People who take it seriously (as some trivia players do) are avoided like the plague.

• Like 1

I don't know if the OP was serious or was pulling our collective frogs legs.:)

But if she was serious, all of the posters that pilled on, taking shots at the OP should be ashamed of themselves for taking shots at such an easy target. :mad:

It's like shooting duck a l'orange in a barrel! Or is that orange roughy in a barrel......:D

• Like 1

As a professional, I applaude your passion for cooking and although I understand your disappointment (trust me, you've made it abundantly clear) the deed has been done and it's time to "pack your knives" and move on.

What have you learned? That there are opportunities out there to expand your culinary career and maybe next time you will do some more research and pick a more appropriate holiday in which to indulge your passions. Perhaps a stint at Le Cordon Bleu would have been a better use of your time and vacation money than a cruise to begin with?

Also, if you do pursue a serious career in the culinary field, please know that the kitchen is not a place for those easily offended or in need of constant attention. I agree with the above poster who stated that you owe the cruise director an apology.

Good luck to you in your future endeavors.

• Like 1