Rock of Ages - Children attending

missdenise

Is the "policy" that no children attend the Rock of Ages show just a suggestion or is a policy? During our recent sailing we attended a 9:30 PM show and there were 7 children between the ages of 5-10 (guessing) in our row and in the row in front of us. Four times during the show one of the parents got up and took one or more of the children out. They were not interested in the show and were walking around and playing video games. They all came in before the people that did not have reservations were allowed to enter, so they also had to have reservations. That would suggest, to me that children are allowed to attend?

Is the "policy" that no children attend the Rock of Ages show just a suggestion or is a policy? During our recent sailing we attended a 9:30 PM show and there were 7 children between the ages of 5-10 (guessing) in our row and in the row in front of us. Four times during the show one of the parents got up and took one or more of the children out. They were not interested in the show and were walking around and playing video games. They all came in before the people that did not have reservations were allowed to enter, so they also had to have reservations. That would suggest, to me that children are allowed to attend?

It has been a couple years for us, but they don't block anyone from attending. Even at that time they made announcements before the show basically to the effect it was a pg-13 show and even had warnings in the Daily. Plenty of warnings it was adult themed and suggestive although YMMV on how just how much it is.

It has been a couple years for us, but they don't block anyone from attending. Even at that time they made announcements before the show basically to the effect it was a pg-13 show and even had warnings in the Daily. Plenty of warnings it was adult themed and suggestive although YMMV on how just how much it is.

So really it is just a suggestion. Same as no children under 16 allowed in the hot tub. If it is not enforced, than it is really not a policy.

So really it is just a suggestion. Same as no children under 16 allowed in the hot tub. If it is not enforced, than it is really not a policy.

I think they really don't want kids in the hot tub. The warning for ROA is for the parents, I'm sure NCL couldn't care less if someone's child sees something inappropriate.

Specific to Rock of Ages, how do you enforce a recommendation? That's how it was listed in our Freestyle Daily: "not recommended for children".

Some in our extended group chose to take their children, others did not. Those that went LOVED it, and the parents of those that didn't take their kids were glad they didn't. I suppose that's why it's a recommendation, and not a policy. Parents tend to know what's best for their kids.

I think they really don't want kids in the hot tub. The warning for ROA is for the parents, I'm sure NCL couldn't care less if someone's child sees something inappropriate.

Ok, I follow your train of thought. I was just thinking the no children at ROA was not only because of the subject matter being inappropriate but also for the enjoyment of the rest of the audience.

Ok, I follow your train of thought. I was just thinking the no children at ROA was not only because of the subject matter being inappropriate but also for the enjoyment of the rest of the audience.

It's just for content, kids are allowed in. Saw a lot of kids leaving! I think the show is fine for teens, but I didn't bring my 10 and 12 year olds.

Specific to Rock of Ages, how do you enforce a recommendation? That's how it was listed in our Freestyle Daily: "not recommended for children".

Some in our extended group chose to take their children, others did not. Those that went LOVED it, and the parents of those that didn't take their kids were glad they didn't. I suppose that's why it's a recommendation, and not a policy. Parents tend to know what's best for their kids.

Maybe I am wrong. I thought it stated Children under 18 not permitted - not just "not recommended for children." As far as enforcing it - You have to make reservations, not accepting an online reservation for a 6 year old. But again, that would just be if it was not just a recommendation/suggestion.

Maybe I am wrong. I thought it stated Children under 18 not permitted - not just "not recommended for children." As far as enforcing it - You have to make reservations, not accepting an online reservation for a 6 year old. But again, that would just be if it was not just a recommendation/suggestion.

There was nothing that said not permitted, and I'm not sure about under 18 - I brought my 15 and 17 year olds, and I found nothing to be uncomfortable about with their age group.

There was nothing that said not permitted, and I'm not sure about under 18 - I brought my 15 and 17 year olds, and I found nothing to be uncomfortable about with their age group.

Sure, a 15 and 17 year would be fine with it. I was thinking more about the 6 & 7 years old. They were not interested and they were walking around in the seats playing their video games. I just can't remember - could they have announced prior to the show - No children permitted?

ROCK OF AGES

No need to hail a cab and fight traffic to see this Broadway smash hit. Exclusively on Norwegian Breakaway, this five-time Tony® Award-nominated musical relives the anthems of the 1980s through the story of a small town boy and girl who are living in Los Angeles, falling in love and following their dreams. Rock of Ages is Broadway’s best party. Be there for every hair-raising,head-bobbing musical number. Please note that this show may not be suitable for children.

Available on Norwegian Breakaway.

Gotcha - on my sailing last August is definitely was a recommendation. None of us would have taken children if it stated "not permitted".

Courtesy of Gambee...

c752d1f3fca36fee78bfedcf2c7bceea.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

One final statement on this subject. This was a NICE thread. I asked a question, got different responses and thoughts. No name calling, no one being nasty. This is what Cruise critics is about. Thanks!

Edited by missdenise

Six year olds are allowed in Broadway theaters, where people pay $100+ a ticket. It's up to the parents to decide if they are capable of sitting through it (and of course leaving if they become disruptive). We didn't have any issues with young kids when we saw it on the BA, with the exception of people taking their kids out when the language started.

Broadway shows that are adult oriented generally list a minimum age. Not sure how strictly enforced this rule is. I would probably bring a six year old to most shows and I know she wouldn't really understand the language or innuendo. She would is also going to easily sit still for the duration probably better than I would. While not applicable in this case I agree with the OP that cruise lines have poor track record of enforcing their own rules, (unless of course it protects a revenue source).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

One final statement on this subject. This was a NICE thread. I asked a question, got different responses and thoughts. No name calling, no one being nasty. This is what Cruise critics is about. Thanks!

I LOVE this! After reading your original question, as I was scrolling through the comments I was thinking "Oh the snarky responses must be coming soon". Thankfully, they did not! This is soooo refreshing :D. I am happy that your question was answered with no argument or snarkiness.

Broadway shows that are adult oriented generally list a minimum age. Not sure how strictly enforced this rule is. I would probably bring a six year old to most shows and I know she wouldn't really understand the language or innuendo. She would is also going to easily sit still for the duration probably better than I would. While not applicable in this case I agree with the OP that cruise lines have poor track record of enforcing their own rules, (unless of course it protects a revenue source).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I know The Book of Mormon has a minimum age of 4 - lol. Although I fault the parents if children aren't behaving in the theater, I also fault the cruise line. Employees should step in in these situations (and kids in hot tubs, diapered children, chair hogs...).