Wine suggestions?

famreynoso

Im not a wine drinker (mostly beer) wouldnt mind trying a glass with my lobster tail or in the steakhouse! Wouldnt know where to begin....any suggestions? Something sweet....

(Trying to impress the wife) lol.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Forums mobile app

For Lobster I'd suggest a Chardonnay or possibly a Pinot Grigio. For steak I would probably go with a Zinfandel or a Cabernet Sauvignon. You could ask the server for a suggestion also.

Why all the suggestions from people who obviously - and some have admitted - are not wine drinkers. Riesling is as sweet as I would go with lobster, and even that is too sweet for me. Moscato is a dessert wine, great with cake or chocolate but not with many foods except, perhaps, very spicy szechuan. With the lobster I would say chardonnay or pinot grigio. With steak, Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot. With lamb, I would add a good pinot noir to the red list. Pinot noir also pairs well with salmon. The riesling or, expecially, the pinot grigio with shrimp or scallops. Another great white with most seafood is a brut champagne, and it does not have to be expensive.

If there is a wine tasting hosted by the sommelier, I would suggest spending the small amount of money it will cost. You will learn so much!

Dan

Why all the suggestions from people who obviously - and some have admitted - are not wine drinkers. Riesling is as sweet as I would go with lobster, and even that is too sweet for me. Moscato is a dessert wine, great with cake or chocolate but not with many foods except, perhaps, very spicy szechuan. With the lobster I would say chardonnay or pinot grigio. With steak, Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot. With lamb, I would add a good pinot noir to the red list. Pinot noir also pairs well with salmon. The riesling or, expecially, the pinot grigio with shrimp or scallops. Another great white with most seafood is a brut champagne, and it does not have to be expensive.

If there is a wine tasting hosted by the sommelier, I would suggest spending the small amount of money it will cost. You will learn so much!

Dan

Well aren't you just a little condescending ray of sunshine?

I don't believe that any of us proclaimed ourselves to be wine experts, I know that for myself, I simply said what I liked. I think that it is up to OP to make up his own mind.

Why did we answer? Because he asked.

Edited by Schoifmom

Dan

I suggested Moscato because the OP asked about a SWEET wine. I guess also I can relate because I also normally do not drink wine. If I do, it is one of the sweeter wines. Not all of us have to have a perfectly matched food/wine combo - we just know what we either like or don't like and go with it.

Dan

We like what we like to drink and that is what is important to us, not someone else telling us what is proper to drink we a certain food.

Dan

Steak is a hard one to predict without knowing really what else is on the plate, or what steak specifically for that matter. Everyone's taste is different though and I like a good Pinot Noir with most red meat. If you know your menu in advance and want to skip the sommelier you could just ask google, you'll probably get some decent pointers.

I personally think Moscato should be carbonated and served as sparkling wine or mixed with fuit into a cocktail, it is too sweet to go with food imho.

Steak is a hard one to predict without knowing really what else is on the plate, or what steak specifically for that matter. Everyone's taste is different though and I like a good Pinot Noir with most red meat. If you know your menu in advance and want to skip the sommelier you could just ask google, you'll probably get some decent pointers.

I personally think Moscato should be carbonated and served as sparkling wine or mixed with fuit into a cocktail, it is too sweet to go with food imho.

Our favorite moscato is slightly carbonated and in our humble opinion goes with everything.

Well aren't you just a little condescending ray of sunshine?

I don't believe that any of us proclaimed ourselves to be wine experts, I know that for myself, I simply said what I liked. I think that it is up to OP to make up his own mind.

Why did we answer? Because he asked.

I simply said, truthfully, that some of the posters said they were not wine drinkers and answered anyway. That is like me suggesting what trumpet somebody should play when I do not play one.

I was trying to be a little more detailed as one who does know a bit about wines. I also agree with the poster who likes sauvignon blanc with lobster. I had forgotten about that one and it is great.

Dan

Dan

These are excellent suggestions as the OP said that he wanted to "impress" his wife as well wondering about a sweeter wine. The proper food and wine pairing improves the taste of both.

These are excellent suggestions as the OP said that he wanted to "impress" his wife as well wondering about a sweeter wine. The proper food and wine pairing improves the taste of both.

Good food and wine pairing does improve taste but it will be what we like not what others think are good choices.

It's always good to expand your horizons. Improving the taste of both the wine and food is a good thing in my book.

I've had wine that tasted bad simply because of the food it was served with, wine that I would ordinarily enjoy. If I stopped there and didn't understand the reasons I might assume that I simply didn't like that particular variety and never learn to enjoy it. By learning what goes together, your wine isn't just an alcoholic beverage to have with dinner, it becomes a part of the meal.

Dan

Wow. Nice. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935T using Forums mobile app