Cruise is over - now what?

mjthecruiser

Yes. We booked through the cruise line.

It did NOT include an extra meal at the hotel. You will want to eat before going to the airport. Food is kinda expensive at the intercontinental. What was interesting is they actually offered different hotel options for the day room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you do between the end of the cruise and the very late flight out? What do you do with your luggage? PG offers day pass at IC but it is very expensive. Any other ideas?

Yes, it is very expensive but then so is everything in French Polynesia. We booked the IC package and were very glad we did. Had a nice afternoon, good meal, nap, shower and faced the pleasures of Air Tahiti Nui in the best shape possible. After thousands of dollars for the trip, whats a few hundred more?:D

If you take PG air the day room is included as well as lunch on the ship.

In 2014 we travelled on Hawaiian so booked a day room at Le Meridien.

In a sense I don't understand the OPs question. On any cruise disembarkation is at 8 or 9 am and the options any where in the world are the same when flights are later in the day. The same would apply if you were in transit for ten or twelve hours in an airport between flights.

Options IMO are

Book a day room.

Rent a car and sightsee.

Book a full day tour with a drop off at the airport or

Wait in the airport terminal...never advisable in Tahiti because of the lack of facilities.

I asked this question because I have never had such a long wait before flight home and I have never been in Tahiti. I appreciate all the suggestions.

The flights (and lack thereof) are the weak link in travel to FP imho. Another reason to take the day room, as was alluded to above, is the airport not only has limited facilities, it is for the most part not air conditioned. And the humidity in FP can make Florida look dry.:eek::D

The flights (and lack thereof) are the weak link in travel to FP imho. Another reason to take the day room, as was alluded to above, is the airport not only has limited facilities, it is for the most part not air conditioned. And the humidity in FP can make Florida look dry.:eek::D

The airport won't even open up until 3 hours before the flights

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Unless you are using mileage to fly to Tahiti, we always take the PG air package for its total value. You get air, transfers, day room in and out,and a tour at the end of the cruise.

We are booked for our 8th or 9th cruise on the PG (I've lost count) and always take their air. Why worry? You don't have to worry about strikes, weather or mechanic problems since they are responsible for your care.

I don't think you can package it your self for less.

Unless you are using mileage to fly to Tahiti, we always take the PG air package for its total value. You get air, transfers, day room in and out,and a tour at the end of the cruise.

We are booked for our 8th or 9th cruise on the PG (I've lost count) and always take their air. Why worry? You don't have to worry about strikes, weather or mechanic problems since they are responsible for your care.

I don't think you can package it your self for less.

I agree 99%. However if you wish to fly premium economy or business class it's cheaper to book that on your own. The PG upcharge is very expensive. One time I used points and I booked my wife an actual business class ticket on ATN and the fare itself was what the PG upcharge was. With the credit I received the actual price wasn't too bad. Watch out for those ATN $999 fares. I got that last year for a five day getaway on my own. Once in a blue moon however that fare is available for a longer trip and will work for a cruise. It is extremely rare however.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are doing the Fiji-Tahiti cruise June 24,2017 and our TA would book us a day room at the IC for $50 each but it is free at the Tahitian Pearl..Wonder why MJtheCruiser was quoted a $195 charge for the IC..seems high for a day room especially when it is included..but I wonder what their relationship is with the Tahitian Pearl? I thought the IC was owned by PG and we had a day room included 5 years ago there without charge..my impression was the IC was not included any longer without $ post cruise..??? We really enjoyed the IC last time but at the end of the cruise figured $100 was better spent elsewhere.

Swissgma, MJtheCruiser was quoted $195 dollars because she is not taking the PG air.

If you do not take their air, there is a cost per person for the dayroom since it includes the lunch on the ship, dayroom, transfers and the tour.

In regards the IC not being included without $, it depends. If you do not pay the $50 for the IC they can either put you up at the Meridien, pearl or IC. The only way to guarantee the IC is the $50 charge.

Gottcha thanks for the explanation! So since we said no to the IC at an extra cost and yes to the Pearl does that mean we may end up at any of the 3 hotels post cruise?

As always you are a wealth of information-thanks!!

Gottcha thanks for the explanation! So since we said no to the IC at an extra cost and yes to the Pearl does that mean we may end up at any of the 3 hotels post cruise?

As always you are a wealth of information-thanks!!

You will likely be at the Pearl as you said yes to it. But you may be surprised.

Yes Pacific Beachcomber owns the IC and the PG. However, I think they provide the IC according to their occupancy at the time and the only way to guarantee a room there is to pay the money in advance.

I personally find the Pearl dilapidated and has mosquitoes. To me this is a concern as Tahiti has dengue.

Another suggestion to the OP

Leave on the Friday night. The ship comes in at 7.30 or so. Have a room service meal and leave for the airport. You will however miss an excellent show performed by professional dancers.

This is what we are doing in January. It avoids the long final day and the extra hotel bill. Since we have seen the show before and needed to return home on Saturday after a 32 day trip including a b2b on the PG we decided to do this in January. In August when we are on AF we will stay an additional night at Le Meridien.

The Air/sea package offered by PG is the best way to go. However, in the future when booking your own air look into Air France as they fly out early in the morning. We just order a taxi early and they take us to the airport. This way you don't lose out on the night show the prior evening nor the incredible dinnere offered on the PG

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

You will likely be at the Pearl as you said yes to it. But you may be surprised.

Yes Pacific Beachcomber owns the IC and the PG. However, I think they provide the IC according to their occupancy at the time and the only way to guarantee a room there is to pay the money in advance.

I personally find the Pearl dilapidated and has mosquitoes. To me this is a concern as Tahiti has dengue.

WOW thanks..may be worth the extra $ after all. Of course the pics of Pearl on the website shows it as pretty nice as we all know pictures don't always tell the real story! We were pre cruise at the IC and loved it..and were supposed to be there post cruise as well but they were overbooked so asked for volunteers to go to the Sofitel. We had stayed in a BEAUTIFUL Sofitel hotel in Miami so thought nothing of it and expected the same...NOT! EXTREMELY dirty room, not a decent beach, slow service and my poor hubby got VERY sick after eating there (food poisoning?) :mad: such a wonderful thing to have on a plane! We are not high maintenance types and can stand not the perfect accommodations but this was not good! I will call my TA right now..we can always go to the market to get food so not a problem there with us...thanks for the heads up!! :)

I think they book certain deck levels at the Pearl as part of their air package. We were upgraded to the IC for no charge once. The last time we were there I thought the rooms were clean and nice with good amenities and as good as IC's run of the house. Once we at the IC were were given a very small room that we thought was for day room use only. The pool area is not as large or as nice as the two areas at the IC. Both places are expensive for food.

Be mindful that if you use the day rooms at either location is for only a couple of hours prior to going to the airport. It is not for your entire stay.

The Air/sea package offered by PG is the best way to go. However, in the future when booking your own air look into Air France as they fly out early in the morning. We just order a taxi early and they take us to the airport. This way you don't lose out on the night show the prior evening nor the incredible dinnere offered on the PG

AF flies out Sunday morning so the OP would have to book an overnight in a hotel since her cruise finishes on the Saturday morning.

Yep, but as Emdee says, that only works if your cruise ends on days when AF flies. This works for us next fall, since our cruise ends on a Wednesday, and Air France flies that day, early in the morning.