Does Ruby Princess still have the Crab Shack?

cruzn fun

• 2 weeks later...
Is it all you could eat?

Our portions were very large & despite being a big eater, I couldn't eat more food. ;)

It has been the two times we ate there, but others have reported a limitation on quantity.

I've read the same thing & getting extra portions can vary.

If memory serves there were multiple reports from a single ship--Star Princess--that requests for extra were refused. But the more common issue is if two people order the same item they are brought a single pot to share. So definitely unless there are more than three of you be sure to each order a different entree.

Not sure if there is a kids menu but since the Crab Shack in at one end of the buffet area I would think you could bring back food from the buffet to your table for the kids and then the adults could eat the Crab shack food with no charge for the kids. Never have done this but don't see why you couldn't. Maybe others will have an answer from experience.

Is there kids menu? We plan to bring our kids but they don't eat seafood. Is there a cover charge for them as well? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not sure if there is a kids menu but since the Crab Shack in at one end of the buffet area I would think you could bring back food from the buffet to your table for the kids and then the adults could eat the Crab shack food with no charge for the kids. Never have done this but don't see why you couldn't. Maybe others will have an answer from experience.
It would be best to rely on someone who has actually brought kids to the Crab Shack and not someone's guess. Sabatini's and the various steakhouses list a discounted price for children 3-12 with under 3 free but that is not an option listed with the Crab Shack. The Crab Shack is in a portion of the buffet but that area is closed off from the buffet during the Crab Shack. There have been posts on CC of people bringing food from the buffet but that might be ship specific. I actually went to get a different soup one time because the chowder was Manhattan style and made with tomatoes which I should avoid.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by IECalCruiser

Is there kids menu? We plan to bring our kids but they don't eat seafood. Is there a cover charge for them as well? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It never hurts to ask!

We haven't taken our kids to the Crab Shack, but we have to Sabatini's and Crown Grill where they've paid half the cover charge, but ask someone else has mentioned, we are just guessing and finding out from someone who's actually done it would be more worthwhile. Regardless of that, every cruise is different, so just ask when you are onboard :)

If memory serves there were multiple reports from a single ship--Star Princess--that requests for extra were refused. But the more common issue is if two people order the same item they are brought a single pot to share. So definitely unless there are more than three of you be sure to each order a different entree.

On the Emerald at Cafe Caribe, three of us ate at Crab Shack and were served two big bowls of the mixed seafood. We asked, and were given, more crab legs after finishing the same kind on the initial serving.

I am glad to see it is still available. I am understanding correctly that it is only available on formal night? My sailing is only 5 days long so there will only be one formal night and I am not sure if I would want to skip that.

The night we went to the Crab Shack wasn't on a formal night & I'd doubt if they'd schedule it on your 5-day cruise for the formal night (which as I recall was called a "dress to impress" evening on short cruises) but you won't know for sure until boarding.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I am glad to see it is still available. I am understanding correctly that it is only available on formal night? My sailing is only 5 days long so there will only be one formal night and I am not sure if I would want to skip that.
I have not seen Crab Shack scheduled on a formal night, at least not on the ships we have been on. It would not be the best idea to have people dressed in formal wear putting on bibs and cracking crab legs and claws. Crab Shack wouldn't require formal attire on formal nights but Princess wants to sell those formal night photos.

I have not seen Crab Shack scheduled on a formal night, at least not on the ships we have been on. It would not be the best idea to have people dressed in formal wear putting on bibs and cracking crab legs and claws. Crab Shack wouldn't require formal attire on formal nights but Princess wants to sell those formal night photos.

On the Regal Princess this April (while it was in the Caribbean before going to Europe), the Crab Shack was held ONLY on the 2 formal nights for the week's cruise.