Mariners Magazine Survey

aliaschief

I got the survey and filled it out. Also got the printed version prior to the survey. I, too, prefer the printed version.

Previous issue of the magazine ----- I did not get the printed version. I knew it was out as my sister had received hers. It took many phone calls to HAl before they finally agreed to send me a copy. No explanation as to why I had not received one in the first place.

It's all about the bottom line. It cost money to print the magazine.

Anyone remember the blue folders we got that included boarding passes, luggage tags, book of shore excursions, etc.

We now print all these things off the computer so HAL can save money

It's all about the bottom line. It cost money to print the magazine.

Anyone remember the blue folders we got that included boarding passes, luggage tags, book of shore excursions, etc.

We now print all these things off the computer so HAL can save money

Yes, it is about the bottom line. However, you need to see the "big picture" to understand that some cost items (such as advertising and marketing expenses) actually add to the bottom line. HAL undoubtedly considers its Mariner Society perks (such as Mariner Magazine) as advertising to (hopefully) attract Mariners to book repeat cruises. Thus HAL is willing to spend money to make money. In order to determine if the money it spends on Mariner Magazine is well spent or not, HAL periodically conducts surveys to see how much Mariners value Mariner Magazine and, in turn, if doing away with the paper version (and going to an electronic format) would cause some Mariners to go to other cruise lines, So, while I suspect that HAL would like to save money by eliminating the paper Mariner Magazine entirely, I think it's more likely that HAL will offer Mariners a choice of which format - paper or electronic - they prefer, assuming the survey results indicate a strong preference for the paper format. JMO/YMMV ...

Smooth sailing ...

How lucky you all are - we haven't got any of the Mariner's magazines yet, not even once... (I know I can read them online on HAL's website)

Must be a European thing, I think, we are quite often neglected in regard to e-mails, special offers, upsell offers - at least that's a feeling I've had for quite a while now. But I'll give the Mariner's society another chance and mail them again...

I have to point out that it's quite different with Cunard even if we have less cruises and points with them - we get magazines, newsletters, special invitations etc.

This is not a European thing, we get ours in Holland, but you might want to check your on-line HAL account.

If you log on to your account, under “MY ACCOUNT”, “MY PREFERENCES” (in German this is “MEIN KONTO” “MEINE PRÄFERENZEN”), check if you have marked under Communication; Mail with Yes! (“Kommunikation” Post mit Ja).

If you have no mark or a no at mail, you will receive nothing in your home mail box (happened to us too, after we checked yes, we got the magazine on our home address).

This is not a European thing, we get ours in Holland, but you might want to check your on-line HAL account.

If you log on to your account, under “MY ACCOUNT”, “MY PREFERENCES” (in German this is “MEIN KONTO” “MEINE PRÄFERENZEN”), check if you have marked under Communication; Mail with Yes! (“Kommunikation” Post mit Ja).

If you have no mark or a no at mail, you will receive nothing in your home mail box (happened to us too, after we checked yes, we got the magazine on our home address).

Thank you for that tip.

2-Star Mariner

Collect 30 Cruise Day credits and you’ll be elevated to a 2-Star Mariner, which entitles you to:

Server pouring drinks

Mariner Embarkation Lunch

A collectible gift presented to you on board

Mariner Champagne Brunch

A complimentary photo of the ship

A 10% discount on select Holland America Line logo clothing sold in onboard signature shops (may exclude already discounted merchandise)

A 15% discount on merchandise from shophollandamerica.com

A free subscription to the print or digital** version of Mariner® magazine

An annual cruise planner

Special offers on select sailings

A 50% cruise fare discount on the 3rd/4th guest staying in your stateroom on select sailings

A special recognition lapel pin

What would be very telling is if we were given a choice. Get the e version gratis or pay $10-$25 for the hard copy subscription.

Or a choice.....a half price Pinnacle dinner for two and the e version of Mariner OR a hard copy subscription to the mag (or some other similar offer/choice)

I think that in either instance the 'take' rate on the hard copy subscription would be substantially lower.

Edited by iancal

2-Star Mariner

Collect 30 Cruise Day credits and you’ll be elevated to a 2-Star Mariner, which entitles you to:

Server pouring drinks

Mariner Embarkation Lunch

A collectible gift presented to you on board

Mariner Champagne Brunch

A complimentary photo of the ship

A 10% discount on select Holland America Line logo clothing sold in onboard signature shops (may exclude already discounted merchandise)

A 15% discount on merchandise from shophollandamerica.com

A free subscription to the print or digital** version of Mariner® magazine

An annual cruise planner

Special offers on select sailings

A 50% cruise fare discount on the 3rd/4th guest staying in your stateroom on select sailings

A special recognition lapel pin

"Server pouring drinks"? :confused::confused::confused:

What would be very telling is if we were given a choice. Get the e version gratis or pay $10-$25 for the hard copy subscription...

Great idea, iancal! I hadn't considered that option. As a CCL shareholder, I like it, as it pretty well addresses all sides of the issue. For us, a $10 subscription price would be the most we'd pay to get more of HAL's advertising in print.

Smooth sailing ...

Edited by avian777

I also received it and took the survey.

I've now taken at least 2 others and all were almost exactly the same questions.

Only difference was in my answers. Since I will no longer be cruising I answered with more negativity than in previous surveys.

Joanie

I'm so sorry you won't be cruising anymore!! I've always enjoyed your posts and you helped me find my first aft penthouse:)). As a former smoker I thoroughly enjoyed smoking on the aft balcony and especially when the ship was moving smoke blew aft too🙄