Havensight Help Please

iwanabescrapn

Hi,

We are first time cruiser's and will be going in November and stopping at St. Thomas. It looks like we are docking at Havensight. We are NOT doing an excursion there and will be with another family so it's a total of 8 of us.

Can we walk to the shopping area from the port?

Blackbeard's castle....anyone been there and is it worth it?

Shopping.....what alcohol are we allowed to bring back to the states? My son is wanting some beer from one of our stops. :D

Thanks!

Kristy

You can quickly and easily walk to all the shops in Havensight..in addition...you can also take the shuttle type bus for $4.00 per person one way into town (Charlotte Amalie)...this is an easy port to visit on your own.

There are Caribbean Beers but the most popular alcohol to purchase and bring back (2 liters) is Rum.

Blackbeards Castle isn't really a castle but a lookout used by him...great views..but may not be what you're expecting...so google it for more info.

Enjoy St Thomas...a favorite of ours.

In addition to the Blackbeard's lookout, the property gives you access to several colonial homes that reflect the lives of the merchant class. Lots of pirate statues. Swimming pools visitors can use.

As for shopping, it depends on what you're hoping to buy that should determine where you should shop. "Town" has a few arts and crafts stores and clothing stores (Fresh Produce for one) that aren't in Havensight.

Hi,

We are first time cruiser's and will be going in November and stopping at St. Thomas. It looks like we are docking at Havensight. We are NOT doing an excursion there and will be with another family so it's a total of 8 of us.

Can we walk to the shopping area from the port?

Blackbeard's castle....anyone been there and is it worth it?

Shopping.....what alcohol are we allowed to bring back to the states? My son is wanting some beer from one of our stops. :D

Thanks!

Kristy

There is a beer local to St John sold in St Thomas and it is quite good! I suggest the Island Hoppin IPA. I brought a 6 home, it was worth the weight!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

The alcohol you have purchased will be left in your cabin on the last night at sea so you can pack it...Put it in your checked luggage if you're flying and consider bringing with you "Wine Diapers aka Jet Bags" google for these....we purchased ours on Amazon....amazing inventions :D

Kristy: There are many shops right where you dock at Havensight. "Town" is one mile away and has shops, bars and restaurants, as well as historic sites. These include Camille Pisarro's childhood home, the second oldest synagogue in the western hemisphere, and old Danish warehouses turned into stores.:)

Kristy: There are many shops right where you dock at Havensight. "Town" is one mile away and has shops, bars and restaurants, as well as historic sites. These include Camille Pisarro's childhood home, the second oldest synagogue in the western hemisphere, and old Danish warehouses turned into stores.:)

Great! Thanks! I am SO VERY excited to visit St. Thomas. My mom told me it was her favorite when she cruised many, many years ago!

Kristy

The alcohol you have purchased will be left in your cabin on the last night at sea so you can pack it...Put it in your checked luggage if you're flying and consider bringing with you "Wine Diapers aka Jet Bags" google for these....we purchased ours on Amazon....amazing inventions :D

May I ask which one's you purchased? I'm totally going to order some but not sure which ones to get. I'd like a review from someone who has actually tried them!

Thanks! Kristy

May I ask which one's you purchased? I'm totally going to order some but not sure which ones to get. I'd like a review from someone who has actually tried them!

Thanks! Kristy

We purchased Jet Bags through Amazon...they work great..we've re-used ours a couple of times...still in great condition...I've also put a variety of liquids in them for traveling like perfume etc.

So, getting back to the OP's actual questions....assuming you do dock at Havensight the shopping area is adjacent to pier (just walk out the security gates and you have stores). If you prefer to go into town (Charlotte Amalie) it is a long walk (we can do it in about a half hour) so most will choose to use the inexpensive group taxi transports (the back of a small truck).

As to beaches, none are really within reasonable (and safe) walking distance. But taxis will take you to any beach and the cost is reasonable and controlled by the government. They have all the taxi prices posted near the taxi area...so no concern about being ripped off.

Hank

The "inexpensive group taxi transports" are actually taxis. The open ones are called safaris.

I forgot to say that there is a brewery in Frenchtown, if you are interested in local beer. It's called, um, Frenchtown Brewery. LOL You would likely want to take a taxi, although from town, it isn't really too far.