New show on Azura

Big Foot

I've just seen the new show produced by Jason Wilkes on Azura this evening.

It is called "Evolution" & is described as Mad Max meets Avatar!

We are a group of 4 ranging in age from late 40's, early 50's & early 60's & have to say that after a very long 50 mins we left the theatre feeling very underwhelmed!

Not only that, but not one of us understood what the show was actually about. :confused:

The cast worked extremely hard during the performance, so nothing against them, but we just didn't get it.

We've been chatting to 2 young ladies whilst doing the quizzes in Brodie's each night, who are currently studying musical theatre & asked their opinion of the show. They both said they didn't understand it either, so its clearly not necessarily an age thing.

itll be very interesting to see what everyone else makes of it & whether or not you enjoy it.

I for one will not be rushing to see it on my 2017 cruises, assuming it's still being performed, which I suspect it will be.

Joan

I know that some of the productions needed updating but this appears to have gone a bit too far. Seems to me like some films you watch these days and wonder after they have finished "what was it all about". Well that is what I often say.

No doubt yours will won't be the first to comment, so I will be looking forward to others giving their thoughts. Was it musical?

Either way I doubt if I can get my husband to go and see the shows, he was put off on a RCI cruise whereby the american singer completely ruined every show. Myself I like the shows but they need changing every year, as so many more people are regular cruisers.

Big Foot, we were a mixed age family group of 5, youngest 19, and could have written your post.

I was the only one that didn't dislike it, and feel as if I "got" it. The others said they wouldn't go to see it again.

I thought it was a bit "off" more like a dress rehearsal rather than a performance. Lots of timing issues, and missed lifts, it's not a polished show yet. I think They should have introduced it as a dress rehearsal rather than a show premiere.

Disappointed that the opening sequences (all the drumming) wasn't actually drummed on stage.

I think it's excellent that P&O are investing in new shows, I think this one has the potential to evolve into something better. Great to see ariel work incorporated, and the costumes really were something of a visual spectacular.

This seems to be a trend. Celebrity changed all their production shows this year and the ones on The Eclipse were just weird. Clips of songs very loosely tied together by a silly story. We felt sorry for the cast. Why are cruise lines getting the production shows so wrong? They love using the term 'West End Style' entertainment but it's way, way below West End quality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We also saw this show last night and neither of us understood it either. We went to see it feeling positive because P&O were actually giving us a new show rather than the same old ones that we were becoming bored with, unfortunately we came out disappointed. On the upside we know now that when we go on another cruise where it is being shown we should avoid it. We noticed that a number of people left the theatre before the end, we sat through to the end because we kept hoping that we might "get it" eventually.

got a feeling of deja vu - sure I've read these posts already somewhere :D

I go to the Fringe in Edinburgh every year and at the end of some of the shows I leave wondering what on earth it was about but I can't believe P&O has commissioned a show like that. I want to relax on holiday not to work out a deep and hidden meaning.

THIS IS A SPOILER SO PLEASE DO NOT READ IF YOU WANT IT TO BE NEW TO YOU ONBOARD.

As I said earlier, I was the only one to "get" it, out of our group when we saw it last night. It seemed quite obvious to me, but I may not be right :p, and not thinking about it enough:eek:

It starts with some sort of Strong race, with quite an oppressed hard life. For dance acts think Stomp ( but not half as good :()

Then we meet a 2nd beautiful graceful race, that look like Birds :confused:dance style more graceful think Ballet.

A male from the first group appears to full in love with female from the second group.

Big finale is both groups together in shared costumes, all have the beautiful headdresses and seem to share the carrying of the chains. To me it was a message of we can all work together and make everything better.

However, don't ask me about the Zebras, not sure what they were about :p